• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,171 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2023 at 9:15 AM, DC# said:

Does CVA have a dedicated staff that audits incoming auction inventory for candidates?

No, it's an independent 3rd party. 

On 11/30/2023 at 9:29 PM, dikran said:

Here’s a pretty uncommon SA key that did not do well at all last night… 

IMG_1646.jpeg

IMG_1647.jpeg

The real question is did someone think the 9.6 was undergraded?

On 12/1/2023 at 4:24 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:
On 12/1/2023 at 4:12 PM, buttock said:

Wasn't it $3 when they first started?!?

Last time I did business with clink was back in 2016 and they were charging $35 for the CVA sticker

Not directed at you in particular, but in response to CVA cost comments in general;

Looking at their website, https://cvacomics.com/pricing/ it looks like the prices vary by the "declared value", and can be as high as 2% of "declared value" on items valued at >$3K. So I guess a sticker on a million dollar book would be $20K!  Minimum charge per invoice is shown to be $50.

On 12/1/2023 at 2:24 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Last time I did business with clink was back in 2016 and they were charging $35 for the CVA sticker

On 12/1/2023 at 2:35 PM, Superman2006 said:

Not directed at you in particular, but in response to CVA cost comments in general;

Looking at their website, https://cvacomics.com/pricing/ it looks like the prices vary by the "declared value", and can be as high as 2% of "declared value" on items valued at >$3K. So I guess a sticker on a million dollar book would be $20K!  Minimum charge per invoice is shown to be $50.

Here's the oldest thread I can find, the others have been mysteriously poofed.  It was $12 for a modern in 2012.  I don't know where I heard $3, but clearly that wasn't right. 

On 12/1/2023 at 5:48 PM, buttock said:

Here's the oldest thread I can find, the others have been mysteriously poofed.  It was $12 for a modern in 2012.  I don't know where I heard $3, but clearly that wasn't right. 

As values increase, the price difference between grade points and even books within the same grade has forced buyers to choose between examples within the same grade, opening up and entire new sub-market.

If people are silly enough to pay 30% more for White pages or other different qualities, then this opens an entirely new industry to cater to these people. 

The coin industry has done this for a long time, with either markings to differentiate between 'better' or 'worse' examples in the same grade OR splitting the grades into finer sub grades (64, 65, 66 rather than just a 6.0 and a 6.5).

Why is anyone surprised or against it? It's just a natural progression for comics. Almost everything in comics is borrowed from the coin industry.

The coin industry is so large and so old that it makes comics look like Pokemon cards. 

It's probably only a matter of time before CGC adopts the coin grading model, which really was a grading model used by many dealers decades ago anyway (and some still do).

Edited by VintageComics

On 12/1/2023 at 3:49 PM, Stefan_W said:

It was $20 when I said yes a couple of years ago. Inflation, I guess.

Based on what I was told at the time when I asked, people from CVA go through the books prior to each auction and selection ones that look really nice for the grade (understanding of course that they can only look through the slab). The owners of the slabs that are selected are contacted and they have the option of adding the CVA label for a price. I had a couple of books that definitely went for a lot more because of the CVA label and a couple of others that landed in the normal range. Overall it was a win for me at that time but if they are now charging $50 each it would an automatic no from me. 

I think I might have been mistaken. Memory. $20.00.

On 12/1/2023 at 4:01 PM, VintageComics said:

As values increase, the price difference between grade points and even books within the same grade has forced buyers to choose between examples within the same grade, opening up and entire new sub-market.

If people are silly enough to pay 30% more for White pages or other different qualities, then this opens an entirely new industry to cater to these people. 

The coin industry has done this for a long time, with either markings to differentiate between 'better' or 'worse' examples in the same grade OR splitting the grades into finer sub grades (64, 65, 66 rather than just a 6.0 and a 6.5).

Why is anyone surprised or against it? It's just a natural progression for comics. Almost everything in comics is borrowed from the coin industry.

The coin industry is so large and so old that it makes comics look like Pokemon cards. 

It's probably only a matter of time before CGC adopts the coin grading model, which really was a grading model used by many dealers decades ago anyway (and some still do).

We create sooooooooo many reasons to filter our collections.  It shows you how it's all about the chase. 

On 12/1/2023 at 6:01 PM, VintageComics said:

I think we already had this to some degree. Based on my own observation, it is not a new thing for people to pay more for book with really nice centering. Copies in the same grade with a thick strip of white along the left side are often the ones on the lower part of the price range. Ditto for writing on the cover. Another example that is less common is tapering. I have seen some badly tapered books come up at auction where CGC does not knock down the grade for that manufacturing defect but people bidding on it go yuck and turn up their noses if it is particularly bad. 

I'm not disagreeing and there are certainly new parts to this that maybe werent as common before. My argument is that we have always done stuff like this as collectors. 

On 12/1/2023 at 6:25 PM, buttock said:

We create sooooooooo many reasons to filter our collections.  It shows you how it's all about the chase. 

Lol that's what I tell myself when I see 7.5/8.5 in my collection, it's hard to not mention the deal I got on it. Sometimes that hunt is enough to go on, quality over quantity can get skewed but at least most of the time it hopefully doesn't leave you holding the bag!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

white pages are important, no doubt about it. but in the latest CL results, we see $7100 for a 9.0 with white pages and $2600 for an 8.5 with owwp. wtf?

as someone who has routinely overpaid for white pages, this result is nuts. almost 5k for a half point increase in grade. and last gpa in a 9.0 was 5k from june, so it should have been more like 4k now. 

ff49-8.5.jpg

ff49-9.0.jpg

On 12/1/2023 at 7:25 PM, buttock said:

Of course. Humans are psychologically wired to derive satisfaction from long term pursuits, not short term gratification. 

People think they're going to be happy when they get that "one book" and then they get that "one book" and they're not happy any longer. They need either a nicer copy of that same book or they now need a totally different book. 

People mistake happiness for things like contentment, peace or joy and those things aren't found in attaining a specific goal, they're found in the long term progress towards those goals, because once you achieve your 'goal', you're empty and need to find another goal to replace the one you achieved.

That's where the phrase "enjoy the journey" comes from.

On 12/1/2023 at 7:51 PM, Stefan_W said:

I think we already had this to some degree. Based on my own observation, it is not a new thing for people to pay more for book with really nice centering. Copies in the same grade with a thick strip of white along the left side are often the ones on the lower part of the price range. Ditto for writing on the cover. Another example that is less common is tapering. I have seen some badly tapered books come up at auction where CGC does not knock down the grade for that manufacturing defect but people bidding on it go yuck and turn up their noses if it is particularly bad. 

I'm not disagreeing and there are certainly new parts to this that maybe werent as common before. My argument is that we have always done stuff like this as collectors. 

Right. What is happening here is collectors are basically comparing oranges to clementines rather than clementines to clementines. 

On 12/1/2023 at 8:08 PM, alexgross.com said:

white pages are important, no doubt about it. but in the latest CL results, we see $7100 for a 9.0 with white pages and $2600 for an 8.5 with owwp. wtf?

as someone who has routinely overpaid for white pages, this result is nuts. almost 5k for a half point increase in grade. and last gpa in a 9.0 was 5k from june, so it should have been more like 4k now. 

ff49-8.5.jpg

ff49-9.0.jpg

But if someone thought the 9.0 was a 9.2 sitting in a 9.0 holder then the results make perfect sense, don't they?

On 12/1/2023 at 8:08 PM, alexgross.com said:

ff49-8.5.jpg

ff49-9.0.jpg

The 9.0 has not just white pages, but an exceptional cover wrap and excellent cover color preservation.  The CGC grade counts, but so does the eye appeal of the entire book.

I'm not suggesting that the higher grade, superior eye appeal, and better page quality grade account for the entirety of the price difference.  It's certainly a major part of it.  On top of that, these aren't stocks trading to hundreds to thousands of buyers and sellers every day, and with relatively few sales there's always going to be a significant contribution of variance to the relative prices at which different comics sell at auction.

Edited by namisgr

On 12/2/2023 at 7:58 AM, VintageComics said:

Of course. Humans are psychologically wired to derive satisfaction from long term pursuits, not short term gratification. 

People think they're going to be happy when they get that "one book" and then they get that "one book" and they're not happy any longer. They need either a nicer copy of that same book or they now need a totally different book. 

People mistake happiness for things like contentment, peace or joy and those things aren't found in attaining a specific goal, they're found in the long term progress towards those goals, because once you achieve your 'goal', you're empty and need to find another goal to replace the one you achieved.

That's where the phrase "enjoy the journey" comes from.

Mods notified 

On 12/2/2023 at 1:43 PM, DC# said:

Here are some Session 1 results for everyone to digest at their leisure.......

I am sure there are lots of different signals - by grade, by age, by rarity, by title - in these results.   But the the FF49 discussion just prior - the compare/contrast gets challenging for a lot of these books that just don't change hands that often.    

Screenshot2023-12-02at10_38_24AM.thumb.png.94c185f6445f833237c2c617b6d05563.png

Screenshot2023-12-02at10_38_49AM.thumb.png.b68874e402448ed9b856aad7e0536321.png

Screenshot2023-12-02at10_39_05AM.thumb.png.acfe94cf7081bbab35d06d317e770cb7.png

Screenshot2023-12-02at10_39_42AM.thumb.png.a9d58bc3b0d64dcd5db345262b222c6f.png

Screenshot2023-12-02at10_39_59AM.thumb.png.b2873420041b5c2624d4c66d80abeded.png

Screenshot2023-12-02at10_40_15AM.thumb.png.a262746b37d8551f91fa92a532c97e26.png

Screenshot2023-12-02at10_40_30AM.thumb.png.aecd53e67f79611eb89875fbe2e3b749.png

That's still a lot of red!!! But you are seeing more green compared to last sale!