• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,298 posts in this topic

On 12/8/2023 at 3:57 PM, buttock said:

290/5000 is 5.8%.  So 94.2% haven't been resold.  I know a bunch of people who bought Promise books, and none of them bought for a flip.  Anyone choosing not to sell for fear of loss is ignoring the whole concept of opportunity cost, but that's a really bold assumption when the more likely thing is that -- as is true for MOST purchases -- people bought the comics because they want them, not to resell them.  Do you really think that most people bought these for a flip?  Do you think that's true for most auction sales?  What's the evidence that that's the case?  

umm, most of the last few years was crack, press, sub and flip to buy more to do the same, movie hype, slab and flip buy more books to hold and flip on the next movie hype, etc etc. Some, likely many. did it to fund their own personal keepers, but that's pretty fluid too- upgrades, sell the lower copy, etc. SA Keys and Bronze Movie hype are taking a 65%-90% hit as a result. Whoever was left holding the bag and didn't get out was hosed. All that extra cash flipping Ms. Marvel and Eternals drove up prices for GA and Pedigrees and high Census too. It's all going down, the question is how much. Those holding Promise Books have lost 30-60% of their value. They may never live to see that break even, which means yes, they won't keep up with inflation.  3 GA Pedigree 6 figure Batman books just took a 60+% hit. The GA board is eerily silent on this, because they DO NOT WANT TO THINK ABOUT WHAT THAT MEANS.

On 12/8/2023 at 3:52 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

umm, most of the last few years was crack, press, sub and flip to buy more to do the same, movie hype, slab and flip buy more books to hold and flip on the next movie hype, etc etc. Some, likely many. did it to fund their own personal keepers, but that's pretty fluid too- upgrades, sell the lower copy, etc. SA Keys and Bronze Movie hype are taking a 65%-90% hit as a result. Whoever was left holding the bag and didn't get out was hosed. All that extra cash flipping Ms. Marvel and Eternals drove up prices for GA and Pedigrees and high Census too. It's all going down, the question is how much. Those holding Promise Books have lost 30-60% of their value. They may never live to see that break even, which means yes, they won't keep up with inflation.  3 GA Pedigree 6 figure Batman books just took a 60+% hit. The GA board is eerily silent on this, because they DO NOT WANT TO THINK ABOUT WHAT THAT MEANS.

So you think that everyone bought those books on speculation?  And you think that because the most overpaid books in the whole collection were turned around way too soon and lost, that every other book will have the same result?  You think that 5% is a good representative sample to make broad generalizations (what about the books that sold for more?)?  And you think the GA board is silent on this?  There were like 3 or 4 threads discussing it just last week.  

On 12/8/2023 at 5:02 PM, buttock said:

So you think that everyone bought those books on speculation?  And you think that because the most overpaid books in the whole collection were turned around way too soon and lost, that every other book will have the same result?  You think that 5% is a good representative sample to make broad generalizations (what about the books that sold for more?)?  And you think the GA board is silent on this?  There were like 3 or 4 threads discussing it just last week.  

no, I don't think EVERYONE bought them on spec. But I do believe a great many were, more than most given the perfect storm of timing and money in the market. I also believe those that don't regard themselves as speculators bought more and spent more than they would have otherwise, caught up in the hype.  That's just human nature.  290+ books is a pretty good sample size as a matter of fact.   Pollsters would kill to get those kinds of numbers. NOBODY bid on this blindly without thinking about the eventual ROI. I say eventual quite deliberately as opposed to potential. Eventually all of them will be resold, most in the next 20 years. (I'd wager the median age of the buyers skews to the mid 50's or older.) Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves and everyone else. Even if they don't sell it in their lifetime, their heirs will. But no one on the GA board is talking about it today now are they? And no one commented  on MaterChief's post from Dec. 1st that MJY linked above. Nope, nothing to see here, let's stop talking about it....:wavingwhiteflag:

Even some recent Original Comic art has been flipped for a loss recently - and original art was considered far more blue chip than slabbed comics, almost immune to market forces.  The next 2 years are gonna be verrrrrry interesting.  The question is, where are we now in the chart below? (I find this guy marginally annoying but I do like to FFWD to the graphs he shows and turn the sound down.)

image.thumb.png.305823086ded4944f77a1d87ff0a238f.png

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

On 12/8/2023 at 2:20 PM, VintageComics said:

I wouldn't worry too much about the people losing money. It was their choice to spend it in the first place. 

I don't think anyone had a gun to their heads forcing them to bid. lol

Some people buy things to gamble, some to upgrade and some because they have lots of money don't know what to do with it (as I know for a fact some buyers have).

As a society, we try to shield too many people from the dumb things they do when they're worrying about it without our input. It's sad, but it's also important to remember that it's reality. You can't shield anyone from reality. 

I agree, ultimately it is up to the buyer to do the required due diligence, and the final decision is theirs. I just have some uneasiness about Heritage and the Promise Collection. From the wikipedia on Halperin:

In 1984, Halperin founded the coin grading agency Numismatic Certification Institute. NCI went out of business shortly after the FTC found in 1989 that Halperin was giving inflated grades to coins. The overvalued coins were marketed through a Heritage Auctions-backed company named Certified Rare Coin Galleries, which used infomercials to sell silver and gold U.S. coins for more than twice their actual value. Heritage Auctions agreed to pay $1.2 million in restitution, though Halperin continues to insist that most of the coin grades he gave during those times were valid and would still hold up today.

Hmmm.

On 12/8/2023 at 1:29 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Interesting. Has the family of the original owner ever said anything publicly about the collection?  The story pulls at the heartstrings.  Supposedly, the OO died in combat when he was 21 and left over 5000 comics.  If he started collecting when he was 10, that would be purchasing about 450 to 500 a year?  Even if he started getting them at 5, that is over 300 a year!  When I first heard about this collection I thought it was going to be a few hundred books, tops.

I'm not certain the family of the original owner were even involved, aside from the story. Maybe they were given a piece of the action if they signed an NDA? This dealer who said he recognized some of the books made it sound like this was a collection that was in someone else's hands for decades.

On 12/8/2023 at 5:38 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

no, I don't think EVERYONE bought them on spec. But I do believe a great many were, more than most given the perfect storm of timing and money in the market. I also believe those that don't regard themselves as speculators bought more and spent more than they would have otherwise, caught up in the hype.  That's just human nature.  290+ books is a pretty good sample size as a matter of fact.   Pollsters would kill to get those kinds of numbers. NOBODY bid on this blindly without thinking about the eventual ROI. I say eventual quite deliberately as opposed to potential. Eventually all of them will be resold, most in the next 20 years. (I'd wager the median age of the buyers skews to the mid 50's or older.) Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves and everyone else. Even if they don't sell it in their lifetime, their heirs will. But no one on the GA board is talking about it today now are they? And no one commented  on MaterChief's post from Dec. 1st that MJY linked above. Nope, nothing to see here, let's stop talking about it....:wavingwhiteflag:

Even some recent Original Comic art has been flipped for a loss recently - and original art was considered far more blue chip than slabbed comics, almost immune to market forces.  The next 2 years are gonna be verrrrrry interesting.  The question is, where are we now in the chart below? (I find this guy marginally annoying but I do like to FFWD to the graphs he shows and turn the sound down.)

image.thumb.png.305823086ded4944f77a1d87ff0a238f.png

lol.  It cracks me up when I see that chart (or a similar chart) posted year after year, decade after decade, but it's always for a different subject matter... you see it posted in stocks, crypto, comics, coins, etc. forums.  It's somewhat a chart of the human psyche no matter what you "invest" in. :D

Edited by Telegan

Some people buy comic books with their discretionary money.  They do it because they love the comics, love to build, own, and peruse their collection of comics, and do all of those without looking for a return on investment, since they weren't acquired as an investment in the first place.  For investments, they buy and sell other assets, especially those traditionally and widely used for that purpose.

On 12/9/2023 at 6:28 AM, namisgr said:

Some people buy comic books with their discretionary money.  They do it because they love the comics, love to build, own, and peruse their collection of comics, and do all of those without looking for a return on investment, since they weren't acquired as an investment in the first place.  For investments, they buy and sell other assets, especially those traditionally and widely used for that purpose.

To piggyback on this a little and thinking about the Promise Collection resale losses, I would imagine that the majority of folks who are buying $20K comic books have a *lot* of discretionary income as opposed to some fellow who has just $20,500 in the bank, and that buying a book at $20K and selling it months later for $15K doesn't feel to be as big a haircut as it would for the average collector.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 12/8/2023 at 5:30 PM, bc said:

Funny how we are now discussing the financial prudence of purchasing books from the Promise collection based on a subset of data while discussing the price fluctuations of a subset of comic transactions in parallel.

-bc

We're moving the goalposts a bit. Prices were crazy high, but I don't think Buttock is arguing that the Promise book purchases were prudent. All that's being discussed is that 5% came back to market and a some people lost money, but that's not representative of the entire market. If you go reading the GA forums, you'll see the GA guys have a very different view of the Promise books than Comics General does and many bought to keep regardless of how much they paid.

And I know at least a few of the buyers that sold early. Some just have too much money to know what to do with. Really.  

Not meant to be directed at you specifically, but as a society we tend to shift narratives slightly all the time to our advantage which

a) always only leads to a game of broken telephone and 

b) we tend to take the narrative of the few and try to make it the narrative of the many

Edited by VintageComics

On 12/8/2023 at 5:52 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

umm, most of the last few years was crack, press, sub and flip to buy more to do the same, movie hype, slab and flip buy more books to hold and flip on the next movie hype, etc etc. Some,

Nothing has changed in the 20 years I've been here or the 48 years I've been collecting. This is the circle of life in the hobby and it's nothing new. 

What really drove the market (all markets) IMO was stimulus money and crypto money. FAR too many people were given money they didn't need, and a lot of people made out like bandits with crypto. There was $8Trillion printed and $2Trillion in crypto profits cashed in. That's planet changing money. It's changed the world's economy forever. 

On 12/9/2023 at 7:42 AM, Pontoon said:

To piggyback on this a little and thinking about the Promise Collection resale losses, I would imagine that the majority of folks who are buying $20K comic books have a *lot* of discretionary income as opposed to some fellow who has just $20,500 in the bank, and that buying a book at $20K and selling it months later for $15K doesn't feel to be as big a haircut as it would for the average collector.

Yes. 

On 12/9/2023 at 7:07 AM, comicwiz said:

We meet-up, and as we are exchanging goods for cash, he showed me the other glove he was shipping out to BC, so I thought I'd jump back on the post to make sure the glove I was getting was the one I had requested. As I'm checking it out, I'm seeing comments from the usual suspects, only this time they are trying to tell the person they would have paid more, and to check his PM's. This was after the seller had already marked the listing SOLD, which he told me he was doing before I drove out to meet him.

This also happened when I was buying a house. We struck an agreement and people were literally calling the house and driving by it while we were in it making an agreement offering to outbid our deal if they broke it. 

It's just sleazy and unacceptable behavior IMO. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 12/9/2023 at 12:00 AM, solm4st3r said:

Collector's Comics says it's rough out there for dealers. Selling off PC.

Yeah, the music definitely stopped on book flipping.  Selling his long box of IH 181s to fund his empire does not make me weepy. Apparently he wants to become the next Vince?  

On 12/9/2023 at 9:31 AM, ThothAmon said:
On 12/9/2023 at 12:00 AM, solm4st3r said:

Collector's Comics says it's rough out there for dealers. Selling off PC.

Expand  

Yeah, the music definitely stopped on book flipping.  Selling his long box of IH 181s to fund his empire does not make me weepy. Apparently he wants to become the next Vince?  

Aren't these guys kids of Mark Wilson?

Their dad was a monster comic dealer for decades and their uncle was well known too.

These guys aren't amateurs. This is all just great fodder for video content. 

Here's the same guy interviewing his dad, who he introduces as one of the greatest comic book dealers of the 80's and 90's.