• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,949 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2024 at 11:56 AM, the blob said:

All I will say about MYCOMICSHOP. Too me they are great graders. They are strict and when I send something in 95 percent of the time I get a bump. 

On 4/11/2024 at 12:02 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

All I will say about MYCOMICSHOP. Too me they are great graders. They are strict and when I send something in 95 percent of the time I get a bump. 

Oh. absolutely, the grades are completely trustworthy, that wasn't my point.

On 4/11/2024 at 12:52 PM, the blob said:

Oh. absolutely, the grades are completely trustworthy, that wasn't my point.

Those are ridiculous prices. Each of those books is $1 or less in NM.

On 4/11/2024 at 1:32 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Those are ridiculous prices. Each of those books is $1 or less in NM.

I understand why they're not $1 there, it isn't worth the time to list them for that little, but $8-9 seems wacky when they actually have some decent books still on the site for $8-9.

On 4/10/2024 at 2:28 PM, 1Cool said:

I don't hear many sellers asking for bailouts or asking people to be sorry for them since the market has been turned on it's head for a lot of people?  

Sure they were asking people to feel sorry for them. Otherwise what then was the point of the complaints to which you yourself referred?

On 4/9/2024 at 9:46 AM, 1Cool said:

Every Con I go to I hear several dealers lamenting the death of the speculators....

On 4/9/2024 at 12:03 PM, 1Cool said:

You would be hard pressed to find any dealer who didn't sell to speculators during and before COVID.  There was a lot of money made doing that so I'd think pretty much everyone would lament losing that steady stream of income.  Plenty of dealers did a bunch of business in other areas of the hobby but movie speculator's money paid for plenty of vacations and children school loans for a bunch of people.

Given how much comic prices have increased in the last ten, thirty and sixty years, I find any kind of belly aching about "low" prices ridiculous. Whoever is doing the complaining is in very serious need of a reality check. Especially after they'd financed vacations and kids' school loans with their previous profits.

On 4/10/2024 at 2:28 PM, 1Cool said:

...I'd say collectors have been asking for sympathy for quite some time but I guess that's the difference between passion and profits.

As a collector for the past 45 years, it's all about the passion for me. I can't tell you what (if any) money I've theoretically "made" on any of my purchases. For one thing I can't remember what I paid for any of my comics or other collectibles. For another I never look at the prices of the items I already have in my collection. I only look at those on my Want List.

:eyeroll:

Edited by Hepcat

On 4/11/2024 at 10:35 PM, Hepcat said:

Sure they were asking people to feel sorry for them. Otherwise what then was the point of the complaints to which you yourself referred?

Given how much comic prices have increased in the last ten, thirty and sixty years, I find any kind of belly aching about "low" prices ridiculous. Whoever is doing the complaining is in very serious need of a reality check. Especially after they'd financed vacations and kids' school loans with their previous profits.

As a collector for the past 45 years, it's all about the passion for me. I can't tell you what (if any) money I've theoretically "made" on any of my purchases. For one thing I can't remember what I paid for any of my comics or other collectibles. For another I never look at the prices of the items I already have in my collection. I only look at those on my Want List.

:eyeroll:

Hah, I guess none of them remember ASM 129s for $25 in the late 90s/early 2000 or being able to pick up a [vg] Marvel Spotlight 5 for $2 at a show like I did in about 1997/98 when the bloom had come off a lot of BA and other books. Things go up, things go down, things go sideways.

I'm doing my part, quite the turnaround from 2021 to 2023, to keep comic book prices high; albeit, presently only for the titles Batman and Detective Comics.

On 4/23/2024 at 9:00 AM, ThothAmon said:

AI generated response to question whether comic books are a decent investment. The analysis and conclusions seem accurate to me. 

IMG_1782.jpeg

IMG_1783.jpeg

I received the same, but the response ended with "Blow it out your ear."

On 4/24/2024 at 11:45 PM, Stefan_W said:

Well this seems excessive. Maybe a couple of people typoed when they were putting in bids. 

capture.jpg

Ok, the hammer price was even worse. Am I missing something, or did two rich guys get competitive and lost their minds on this one? 

capture.jpg

On 4/25/2024 at 11:19 PM, Stefan_W said:

Ok, the hammer price was even worse. Am I missing something, or did two rich guys get competitive and lost their minds on this one? 

capture.jpg

The 2 people losing their minds is surely a possibility but my guess is a small attempt at market manipulation. As I look thru ebay completed items there are so many sales that don't make sense. Slabbed books selling for twice their value. (shrug)

On 4/26/2024 at 6:58 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

The 2 people losing their minds is surely a possibility but my guess is a small attempt at market manipulation. As I look thru ebay completed items there are so many sales that don't make sense. Slabbed books selling for twice their value. (shrug)

Anything is possible, but I since CL sales are not recorded in GPA I dont figure a lot of market manipulation happens there. 

This sale reminded me of a massive Weird Mystery Tales #1 sale on that site years ago. I think a few of the regulars with deep pockets just really love that series - and there is a lot to love there, since some of the best horror covers of that era are in Weird Mystery Tales. This issue is also really hard to get (2 census copies in 9.8, 4 in 9.6) and it has a Wrightson cover, so I default to people losing their minds to try to fill out their high grade run. 

But who knows, maybe you are right and it was just an odd attempt at market manipulation. 

On 4/26/2024 at 5:15 AM, Stefan_W said:

Anything is possible, but I since CL sales are not recorded in GPA I dont figure a lot of market manipulation happens there. 

This sale reminded me of a massive Weird Mystery Tales #1 sale on that site years ago. I think a few of the regulars with deep pockets just really love that series - and there is a lot to love there, since some of the best horror covers of that era are in Weird Mystery Tales. This issue is also really hard to get (2 census copies in 9.8, 4 in 9.6) and it has a Wrightson cover, so I default to people losing their minds to try to fill out their high grade run. 

But who knows, maybe you are right and it was just an odd attempt at market manipulation. 

A 9.4 sold for $450 recently, and GPA doesn’t show any sales data for the 2 9.8s. Classic Wrightson cover and tough to find in HG, book has been pretty hot the last few years…not real surprised. 

On 4/26/2024 at 12:37 PM, drbanner said:

A 9.4 sold for $450 recently, and GPA doesn’t show any sales data for the 2 9.8s. Classic Wrightson cover and tough to find in HG, book has been pretty hot the last few years…not real surprised. 

That book has a rep of tough in grade and coveted for the cover. I've never had a copy sit unsold in any grade. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/26/2024 at 3:58 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

100% it was not market manipulation. I have sold books prior to the covid madness that went for literally 5x their normal selling price. I got paid. There was no market manipulation. As someone else pointed out CL doesn't get reported to GPA or any other sales tracking site... hard to manipulate a market when only the people that bid on the book know about it (typically). I know it got called out here and now more people know about it but that couldn't have been an expected outcome for someone "manipulating the market". Sometimes this happens with auctions, 2 guys really want a book and throw in crazy bids at the end. It's an outlier and likely not repeatable but also not market manipulation.