• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,944 posts in this topic

I’ll admit, when this topic initially arose almost 3 years ago, I didnt think prices would ease up a bit. But I’m now back to eyeing ASM keys since sone prices have dropped 50% from their pandemic highs. So yeah, prices have definitely eased up a bit. 

And this pick of FF 6 in 3.0 auction results just says it all.

IMG_1558.png

On 3/6/2024 at 11:05 PM, DC# said:

Here are some highlights from the rest of the Feb/March Session 2 Clink auction.    This has a lot more of the work-a-day books/grades.    There are actually some encouraging signs buried in here if you look past all the red (except for books like GSX 1) - a lot more places where last sale, 90-day average and/or 12 month average are getting closer together.    Some of the GPA data around last thru 12 month average is probably more relevant than the actual Clink results.   

Screenshot2024-03-06at7_58_10PM.thumb.png.8ad1985b9b25ae710a3cbb07b7f7ba57.png

Screenshot2024-03-06at7_58_27PM.thumb.png.5616d9ec745a38e2f638c9dc06c7dc67.png

Screenshot2024-03-06at7_58_42PM.thumb.png.006231da19eee19ca85fabdf6780d53e.png

Screenshot2024-03-06at7_58_59PM.thumb.png.1f89ea27d46e541860085ccd2dcea428.png

Screenshot2024-03-06at7_59_17PM.thumb.png.164517db0cd71d0719270f9b7260f610.png

Screenshot2024-03-06at7_59_35PM.thumb.png.4b2cf72acbb21e5997fe61bb1b9162c3.png

Thanks again for doing this. As I start from the far right-hand column, I see more and more green as I move to the left. That's a good sign that many books are on the rise. That being said, January through May is traditionally a time when comic sales increase in volume and price (the post-covid correction is an exception). Will be interesting to see if this year is any different. 

The comic books I track regularly, Batman 200 to 300 and Detective Comics 400 to 500, have, that I've seen, alternated in auction price from relatively cheap to relatively expensive. Of course, that can be said for many, if not most, Bronze Age comic books. I will note that the asking prices for these books tend to regularly be on the very high side. Still, some do sell; I have not purchased them, but sellers don't need me to.

On 3/4/2024 at 7:58 AM, World Devourer said:

Everything continues to go down, and here I refer to longstanding items, not "mickey mouse moderns" that have appeared in the last few years. I believe the market will rebound, but not until the economy in general corrects itself. I'm happy for my items to sit on Ebay until someone makes a serious offer (and yes, that may take a while). When people start having disposable income again, there's a chance.

The S&P 500 was up 23% in 2023 and is up 6.5% so far this year? Unemployment is below 4%. Interest rates are down (although a 20-30 year mortgage needs some work, my VR HELOC is KILLING ME). I just paid $6.99 a pound for skirt steak in a family back AND got a free taco seasoning pack, a red pepper, lime, bunch of cilantro, and package of tortilla wraps. I guess they supermarket really wanted me to make fajitas or something. If we need government booster checks for folks or 1-2 years of stay at home to have disposable income again we are in trouble. The market got a big spike of bored speculator money during covid that continued what had been building before that, I'd be fine with 2018-2019 levels although so many spikes were spec jumps based on some character appearing in a show or movie, which are always bound to subside and I think folks learned the lesson getting burned on those again and again. 

Edited by the blob

On 3/9/2024 at 3:20 AM, godzilla43 said:

Some dealers are optimistic. Naomi 1 convention ed 225$ when it goes in Ebay for under 15$.

Gotta pay off those nasty table fees somehow. 

From my recent anecdotal experience, it does feel like upward price movement is starting to return.  This is the time of year though when prices do tend to increase, so it's still to be seen if the trend has staying power.  Overall though, I too am optimistic and am in the market trying to buy the key books that are high on my list.

Was following some of the results for the first day of the CC Event Auction earlier today, and all I can say is that prices on GA books are still rocketing upwards as I was blown out of the water on anything that I was thinking of bidding on.  :frustrated:  :censored:

Definitely a sign that the market is strong when so many restored books are going for multiples of unrestored condition guide value, with a perfect case in point being this trimmed and Moderately Restored PLOD that was still able to fetch well over 16X Universal unrestored condition value at a rather whopping, but probably not so surprising $9,685.30, especially considering its apparent rarity:  (thumbsu  :applause:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/732986

our4.31.jpg