• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market is just crazy stupid right now
6 6

331 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

As a prediction tool for future price increases eBay’s release of its earnings are a cautionary tale. While the current sales numbers qualify as “crazy stupid” eBay’s future guidance about the ebbing impact of stimulus has caused a fairly dramatic sell off of their shares. I’m very doubtful that comics can sustain current price levels. Probably a good thing for the market in the long run. 

Please be quiet. I have a lot of comics in need to sell.

4 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

That is so sweet.  I hate the fact that there are annual fees but if I can make up for it in bonuses that will be worth it!

When we were flying more the fees on my wife's amex black were easily paid for via the perks she got on delta

48 minutes ago, Final Pages said:

What if what you are seeing is actually the decline in the value of your $'s vs. a rise in prices of things? Perhaps its not that the book has 3x in value, but perhaps your dollars are depreciating at an alarming rate.

Interesting thought. If that were the case wouldn't everything see a rapid spike? I'm guessing hyper-inflation would affect bread and milk, tires, clothing, not just collectibles. 

2 hours ago, JazzMan said:

Big keys are going for 30%-50% more than market price - every sale seems to be a new record.  I haven't been able to get anything at market price other than some items on the boards, but even those prices are at a premium at times.  It's not just the auction sites, either.  It's some of the bigger dealers and brick and mortar stores that I have frequented over the past few months.  It looks like the dam broke at the start of the year - I long for those reasonable times only six months ago.

Some bubbles actually starting to burst:

IH181 underperformed on every grade in this CLink auction, 8.5 to 9.6 all down from all time high from late march

GSX1 also down

Edited by IronMan_Cave

30 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

Some bubbles actually starting to burst:

IH181 underperformed on every grade in this CLink auction, 8.5 to 9.6 all down from all time high from late march

GSX1 also down

Bursting means something else. It doesn't mean something didn't meet a recent all time high. This is the problem with this market, people assume a high will be matched or met by another high. And anyway, All the wolverine folks are putting their money into MCP 1 and 72.

3 hours ago, Final Pages said:

What if what you are seeing is actually the decline in the value of your $'s vs. a rise in prices of things? Perhaps its not that the book has 3x in value, but perhaps your dollars are depreciating at an alarming rate.

Uh yes, this is why the cost of a Big Mac has also doubled since January.  /s

3 hours ago, Final Pages said:

Chicken legs just cost me 69 cents a pound. After a bit of a rise from pandemic levels, gas is back to $2.80 a gallon by me. I do see some stuff a bit more expensive like eating at a cheaper restaurant is less cheap, but locally our minimum wage went to $15, rents didn't go down, and those restaurants were hurting for a while, so I wouldn't blame that on a dollar. The dollar vs. Euro is about what it has normally been, and the dollar is stronger vs. some bad times, not sure about the Chinese currency because China manipulates that. On the other hand, the EU primed the pump a lot too with stimulus, so they may also be diluted.

1 hour ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

FB_IMG_1514994688847.jpg.e9a9901c9a8cdfeeb0f35c8eaba70f3c.jpg

Had a Quebecer come up to me while I was fuelling up last night, 3am, and start telling me to visit dweehaorsime.net because it was REAL news.

I walked right past him and he was like, oh you don't need to know?

I was like I already know more than I want to.

I'll always help a dire situation, but in all fairness, humanity can suck it.

I may have 40 years or so to go in this world, and I just want to be left alone 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

Had a Quebecer come up to me while I was fuelling up last night, 3am, and start telling me to visit dweehaorsime.net because it was REAL news.

I walked right past him and he was like, oh you don't need to know?

I was like I already know more than I want to.

I'll always help a dire situation, but in all fairness, humanity can suck it.

I may have 40 years or so to go in this world, and I just want to be left alone 

Completely understand.  

When people try to get me to check out websites, I usually reply with something along the lines of , " you should check out two females one drinking receptacle, or maybe tubgirl. "  

Somethings you should just not ever see or know exist.  Both of those are examples.  

Do not get me wrong I still usually look as you never know what might actually be a good reference and it is never too late to learn, but at the same time I really do not want your pamphlet or mixtape. lol

Agreed about dire though. Yes we all need help at some point. 

On 4/29/2021 at 5:36 AM, namisgr said:

One thing I found about being a back-issue collector is that there were always way more comics I wanted to own in nice shape than I could afford.  So the hobby is always a balancing act between desire and budget.  Even when prices for certain comics hit stratospheric new highs, there are still plenty of other really cool books to search for that are still in the budget. 

And yeah, on occasion opportunities present themselves to sell a few comics at prices you never expected to see in order to raise the funds to buy others.

There's always the one(s) that seems out of reach.  Being a collector for a number of years I would add:  Somehow, though a book that seemed perfect in price and condition I really wanted escapes me, another one of the same will cross my path (probably to escape me again, but that's another story).

I dunno, when I can convert six or seven books I bought out of a dollar box into a slabbed Detective 359 I can't complain. If you're selling and buying this market is fine. If your collection consists entirely of long term keepers you would never want to sell, i guess that is a problem.

11 hours ago, the blob said:

Chicken legs just cost me 69 cents a pound. After a bit of a rise from pandemic levels, gas is back to $2.80 a gallon by me. I do see some stuff a bit more expensive like eating at a cheaper restaurant is less cheap, but locally our minimum wage went to $15, rents didn't go down, and those restaurants were hurting for a while, so I wouldn't blame that on a dollar. The dollar vs. Euro is about what it has normally been, and the dollar is stronger vs. some bad times, not sure about the Chinese currency because China manipulates that. On the other hand, the EU primed the pump a lot too with stimulus, so they may also be diluted.

we were going to go eat with some friends at a restaurant that had a 5% charge for covid related fees. This was a semi expensive restaurant. We didn't go because they didn't really have a lot of vegetarian options for me.  I found the surcharge interesting.

Just now, jsilverjanet said:

we were going to go eat with some friends at a restaurant that had a 5% charge for covid related fees. This was a semi expensive restaurant. We didn't go because they didn't really have a lot of vegetarian options for me.  I found the surcharge interesting.

the diner we used to go to pre-covid we finally returned to last friday. I got hit with a $2 charge for using my CC. i wasn't going to make a fuss over it. I think NY is allowing a CC surcharge as part of getting small businesses up and running again. it was not allowed before. i think the prices weren't much different, actually. they used to put out a crazy spread of pickles, cole slaw, beets, chick pea salad, etc. that was like a meal itself, but they cut it down to cole slaw and pickles, and the bread basket was less interesting. they don't have that much flexibility with the finances of the locals, half of whom seem to come in and split the meal between two people.

On 4/28/2021 at 9:58 PM, IronMan_Cave said:

I feel so defeated, waiting 2-3 weeks for end of auction only to see the books that I want go way over my budget, and my budget is way over GPA, but apparently not high enough

it's so frustrating :frustrated:

My question to anyone and everyone in your shoes or predicament is why did you wait this long to buy the books / keys you desire when you could have bought them for potentially 25 to 60% less only 6 to 12 months ago?  :boo:  I think the feeling of defeat is mixed in with the feeling of regret and a sense of being "very late to the party."  Rationality and economics dictates one values something at a certain price and your desire makes you pay that price.  Why is the desire more now than it was 6 plus months ago for the same books?  Perhaps the answer to that question might have less to do with "feeling defeated" as it does with "regret."  my 2 cents. :preach:

21 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

My question to anyone and everyone in your shoes or predicament is why did you wait this long to buy the books / keys you desire when you could have bought them for potentially 25 to 60% less only 6 to 12 months ago?  :boo:  I think the feeling of defeat is mixed in with the feeling of regret and a sense of being "very late to the party."  Rationality and economics dictates one values something at a certain price and your desire makes you pay that price.  Why is the desire more now than it was 6 plus months ago for the same books?  Perhaps the answer to that question might have less to do with "feeling defeated" as it does with "regret."  my 2 cents. :preach:

Not everyone is rich and can afford to buy the keys they want at any one time. Also, I am sure a lot of buyers were not expecting such a massive increase in prices like we have seen in the past few months.