• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scam Alert - PM received from an unrecognized CGC board account

59 posts in this topic

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

You're welcome

If you want to block further contact go to Forums > My Settings > Ignored Users >

...and then type in TNS357 (no @ symbol) and wait for his account to appear in blue as below:

Capture.thumb.PNG.936e8ed000207baba29b59291aa24731.PNG

You can then select PMs to stop him messaging you

Thanks for the advice!

2 hours ago, Galen130 said:

I think my cat picture keeps these people away from me.  You just can’t tell if the cat is scared, pooping, or psychotic. (shrug)
Thanks for sharing.  I always keep an eye out for knuckleheads. 🤪

The Joe Pesci of cats look will do it every time! lol

2 hours ago, serling1978 said:

Haha he did this to me too! Reached out with that email address and when I asked for pics it was of an ebay listing I've been following. Waugh Waugh. I thought the dude was just trying to sell outside of eBay, but after I mentioned I've seen the item on eBay he stopped replying. 

I'd say the "dot" com is a bit suspicious....O.o

Something similar happened to me a few weeks back.  A board member (who right after deactivated his profile) PM'ed me after I posted a WTB and sent me the email of someone they said had one.  I contacted the person and they had a good price and insisted on Zelle or Cash App and wouldn't use PayPal so I figured it was a scam and backed out.  The pic they sent me was copied from MCS I think.  It also seemed to me that the person was using some translation service to respond.

1 hour ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

I'd say the "dot" com is a bit suspicious....O.o

Yeah its almost like he's thinks he has to mask the email address like someone would do when messaging THROUGH eBay to avoid having the message blocked for trying to sell outside of the platform. 

Not that I've ever successfully done that many times to avoid eBay fees in the past.... 

1 minute ago, kav said:

"My friend has that book contact him and stuff-its not me trying to scam you honest"

I believe it...why wouldn't anyone else??? :facepalm::roflmao:

57 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

Yeah its almost like he's thinks he has to mask the email address like someone would do when messaging THROUGH eBay to avoid having the message blocked for trying to sell outside of the platform. 

Yes - exactly what I thought.

Not that I've ever successfully done that many times to avoid eBay fees in the past.... 

Me either...   thanks for the interest in my ebay book, but seriously, have you checked out my instagram account?   lol

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Wasn't there a big thread about this guy recently? If not in general, it was in another section. 

There have been a few and they all follow the same pattern: someone reaches out and says "my friend has the book, email them".

Scam messages - Marketplace Probations - CGC Comic Book Collectors Chat Boards (cgccomics.com)

SCAM ALERT!! - Comics General - CGC Comic Book Collectors Chat Boards (cgccomics.com)

31 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I feel like my fortune cookie is punking me.  “Creale”?

B1EA4B1D-69DD-48D6-98C3-63F542B28A2D.jpeg

Not always:
The Guest (2014) - IMDb

5 hours ago, jeranimal said:

Any suggestions on who else I could notify since Arch is gone? 

Yeah, some of his responses are a little hard to understand so clear indication that english is not his first language.  

If you report his post in the PM, I can ban him.  

Edited by comicdonna

20 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

What if he has a 12 pack of Cre-ale though???

Nah he drinks fireballs

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

Entry denied then, that stuff will rot your brain.

Do not welcome this guy into your home.