• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The grief counselling topic - discuss the comics you owned which are lost, stolen or destroyed
2 2

64 posts in this topic

Acknowledging your pain is one of the first steps to successfully dealing with grief. How do feel about them being gone? This is a place where you can do that. People react to lose differently.
Seeking out support from people who care about you is vital to get through grief in a healthy way. What better people to share with than anonymous posters on the internet? :blush: Seriously, other collectors will probably be able to empathise with you more than your family regards comics

So what comics did I own which went MIA?

Usagi Yojimbo #1 1987 

Rocket Raccoon #1 1985

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol #1 1-6  

Two former friends took them a few years ago. They told me after the fact they'd borrowed some of my comics and didn't know exactly which ones.  
Pretty disrespectful which in part is why I guess I'm not friends with them anymore. It still burns when I think about it. 
Early appearances of two funny animal characters I adore. Love Mike Mignola's art too. 
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 1 is late career Alan Moore brilliance which I'd love to re-read. I'll probably buy a digital TP one day

Your turn 

Edited by MattrixAlien
Fix typo

I'd bet every single one of us here has had something they lost that they look back on and think about. I pretty much got taken by a dealer on a likely NM Hulk 181 when I was a kid.  That was the first back issue I bought in my first comic store as a kid for $5 on a wall. It called to me, and my mom bought it. Two blocks from 7-11.

The good news is you have a lifetime to get new things and get over those. I borrowed some comics from a friend and didn't get them back to him before he moved away. I wish I could somehow give him those and more. I have worse thoughts about that than the Hulk loss. 2c

Edited by bronze_rules

3 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

Well, my grandfather had a Superman #1 and a Batman #1 that he was going to give me when I turned 18. They both perished in a flood a few years before that milestone.

Sorry but nobody has a tale of woe to best that ! 

There is one collector near montreal that collects sealed toys and comics,dont know about the comics but one day he sold his collection cheap:he lived with his mother and loved to display them in his room,one day getting back home he entered his room and his factory sealed toys were stacked together in a smaller place in his room.the mother smiled and said now you have more space for your collection!she cut all the cards ,still sealed but trimed really near the sealed bubble.been few years from the first time i saw the first of his toys to be sold at comic hunter.and now sometimes i enter a flee market or a pawn shop and see sometime those trimmed toys,i am so glad my mother never did this to my father or me but i feel for that guy i never saw but see the legacy of that dreaded mother.she hunt my Dreams lol

Or comics selling cheap because was in a long box and the cat made his claws on the box and grinded or shreded a big part of the box and a little on the spine of each comics in the box ......

My parents split in 1980. I was 8.

I was never allowed near the older comics, just the newer ones. Dad took them all with him. 

Fast forward to 1986 and I start reading comics more seriously. Dad eventually passes the whole collection to me. I catalogue them all. Amazing silver age through to current. 

In the boxes is a list of issues written in pencil. "What's these dad?" 

Back in 1980 Dad sold some of the collection to 2 younger guys both named Steve. He sold Amazing Fantasy 15 for £20/£25 plus a few others. One of lads borrowed a few comics to read, of course they didn't get returned. 

The list was written by the guy, and at the bottom said "taken by Steve H Sept 17."

It included :

Amazing Spiderman 1-10

Avengers 1-10

X-Men 1-10

Some other Ditko (Creeper) and Sterenko work. 

I never did get to see them at all. Apparently Steve H moved to London to be an artist. 

Whether he intended to keep them we'll never know. I will never be able to replace them, especially at todays prices. I don't have the list anymore. 

I sold the rest of the collection in 1995 for a pittance to Darryl 😠 Silver Acre. 

I have a nice collection now and I'm at peace with it. (Most of the time). 

On 5/24/2021 at 9:53 AM, The lips said:

Sorry but nobody has a tale of woe to best that ! 

My tale of woe bests anyone's tale for me personally. Sentimental value and personal value are much more important than anything else to me 

My tale of woe is the entire run of Weird Western Tales and almost complete run of Jonah Hex that my uncle bought new as a kid and gave to me eventually. I have no clue what happened to them they disappeared over the years in a couple moves 30 years ago. I have since bought almost all of them again but it's not the same. I miss those beat up ones I read a million times as a kid.

My father did not approve of me reading or collecting comics. He had a very low opinion of them.  So when I saw the cover of Daredevil 111 for sale in NYC the week before Christmas in 1978 , I mentioned it as something I would like to get for Christmas but had zero expectations. Christmas comes and when it seems all the presents have been handed out, my Dad " finds" another one and it is the DD cover. My mom had convinced him to drive into the city and buy it from Peter Koch. 

My Father died on December 28th. 

I had the cover framed and displayed it wherever I lived for the next decade. In 1988-89, I sold my shop and moved to Puerto Rico. On one of my frequent visits back to NY, I visit my old shop and am shocked to see the cover to DD 111 on display and for sale. I grab the owner and tell him that this is mine and was never intended to be part of the sale of the shop. In fact, I had no idea it was even there. We go back and forth and I end up buying the cover at a discounted price, but not cheap enough that I remained friends with the guy. 

I take the framed cover to my Moms house, remind her of what it is and put it in an old shipping trunk where I had a lot of stuff. 

Ten or more years go by and I'm over my moms house when I notice the trunk has been moved. I mean to ask about it but I forget. A few months go by and I'm over my sisters house when she points out her newest reclamation project- she'd taken the old trunk that was maybe 100 years old and re-finished it. I ask her about all the stuff inside but she tells me when she opened it, the stuff on top had mold so she threw it all away.

Not only was the art the first Marvel Cover OA that I ever had, but it was one of my favorites and it was the last thing my Dad ever gave me. 

54 minutes ago, shadroch said:

My father did not approve of me reading or collecting comics. He had a very low opinion of them.  So when I saw the cover of Daredevil 111 for sale in NYC the week before Christmas in 1978 , I mentioned it as something I would like to get for Christmas but had zero expectations. Christmas comes and when it seems all the presents have been handed out, my Dad " finds" another one and it is the DD cover. My mom had convinced him to drive into the city and buy it from Peter Koch. 

My Father died on December 28th. 

I had the cover framed and displayed it wherever I lived for the next decade. In 1988-89, I sold my shop and moved to Puerto Rico. On one of my frequent visits back to NY, I visit my old shop and am shocked to see the cover to DD 111 on display and for sale. I grab the owner and tell him that this is mine and was never intended to be part of the sale of the shop. In fact, I had no idea it was even there. We go back and forth and I end up buying the cover at a discounted price, but not cheap enough that I remained friends with the guy. 

I take the framed cover to my Moms house, remind her of what it is and put it in an old shipping trunk where I had a lot of stuff. 

Ten or more years go by and I'm over my moms house when I notice the trunk has been moved. I mean to ask about it but I forget. A few months go by and I'm over my sisters house when she points out her newest reclamation project- she'd taken the old trunk that was maybe 100 years old and re-finished it. I ask her about all the stuff inside but she tells me when she opened it, the stuff on top had mold so she threw it all away.

Not only was the art the first Marvel Cover OA that I ever had, but it was one of my favorites and it was the last thing my Dad ever gave me. 

https://hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/219894/DAREDEVIL-111-COMIC-BOOK-COVER-ORIGINAL-ART-BY-RON-WILSON

Looks like your sister's story doesn't add up or someone rescued it from the garbage. I hope it's the latter. It recently sold in March 2018. 

4 hours ago, shadroch said:

Wow.  When I had it, it had a large stain and was missing some the lettering.  

We sold my Moms house in 2016. I wonder if it was somehow  left behind. 

Auction states logo is damaged and an overlay was made to go over the original artwork. Looks like this was possibly left behind at your mother's home. It's a major coincidence it appears two years after you sell your mother's home. Someone found it and knew what it was to create an overlay for the logo. 

what about grief about not buying more copies of a book you speculated would rise in value like FF annual #6-and see it indeed rise from a $10-$20 book in 5.5-7.5 to a $300 to $600 book in about 5 years.  I only bought 3 copies.

Could have got like 9.0s for maybe $50-now we're talking real money.  $2000-$3000

5 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

3 copies is better than no copies

True but I did donate one copy.  It sold for $300.