• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The grief counselling topic - discuss the comics you owned which are lost, stolen or destroyed
2 2

64 posts in this topic

On 8/4/2021 at 1:37 AM, Wolverinex said:

I pretty much went through my entire house and everybox looking for that book.  I did a stepwise deep search.  

I don't know if I'm THAT desperate, but I commend your sheer determination. 

I completed a full Marvel Value Stamp coupon book back in the day. I still have it.  However, I do not have all the 100 butchered comics.

Although I tried to replace them all, I was never quite sure that I succeeded. I finally got the nuts up a couple weeks ago to check my Hulk 181, and was pleasantly surprised to find the MVS stamp intact.

But, R.I.P. those hundred or so books...,

On 8/5/2021 at 12:41 AM, lizards2 said:

I completed a full Marvel Value Stamp coupon book back in the day. I still have it.  However, I do not have all the 100 butchered comics.

Although I tried to replace them all, I was never quite sure that I succeeded. I finally got the nuts up a couple weeks ago to check my Hulk 181, and was pleasantly surprised to find the MVS stamp intact.

Bad, bad, bad lizard.

On 8/5/2021 at 4:30 AM, jharvey said:

Bad, bad, bad lizard.

You just want my 181 :baiting:

On 8/5/2021 at 1:41 AM, lizards2 said:

2D77774E-00C5-42DE-B9AC-9D58C1005318.jpeg

Edited by Terry_JSA

Oh man. I probably haven't spoken of these in 25 years. I was in San Diego in the early 90's and purchased a raw X-Men #3 that was easy NM, maybe NM+ at SDCC and when rebagging stuff I was super careless and had a tape pull incident right in the middle of the cover. Full on 1.5" by 1" disaster. I think I gave the book away to a buddy for free. I never wanted to see it again.

My all-time winner was in 8th grade and I was a super stupid young kid and had a Sub-Mariner #1 that was an easy NM+ that I put tracing paper on top of and I traced it and ruined the book with the impressions. It hurts worse now as Subby #1 has become so expensive in the last 2 years. It wasn't that bad when it was a $60 book but now....

George Costanza Causes a Scene On the Floor With His Pants Down On Seinfeld

On 9/22/2021 at 7:19 AM, Kramerica said:

Oh man. I probably haven't spoken of these in 25 years. I was in San Diego in the early 90's and purchased a raw X-Men #3 that was easy NM, maybe NM+ at SDCC and when rebagging stuff I was super careless and had a tape pull incident right in the middle of the cover. Full on 1.5" by 1" disaster. I think I gave the book away to a buddy for free. I never wanted to see it again.

My all-time winner was in 8th grade and I was a super stupid young kid and had a Sub-Mariner #1 that was an easy NM+ that I put tracing paper on top of and I traced it and ruined the book with the impressions. It hurts worse now as Subby #1 has become so expensive in the last 2 years. It wasn't that bad when it was a $60 book but now....

Tape is such a menace to the condition of comics! It's so easy to accidently let it touch a cover then it's game over for a NM grade. I remember tracing over some art too. :) The silliest thing I did as a kid though, which I haven't mentioned in this thread before, was putting a sticker over a news stand price written on an Uncanny X-men 109 (first Weapon Alpha) because I thought it would improve it. doh!

On 9/21/2021 at 5:19 PM, Kramerica said:

If you still have that Subby, a press might help with the indentations  :)  

Hi. I resurrected this thread as I've thought of another type of comic loss. The book you regret selling. It's different to the other categories as you chose to let it go. In my case when I got back into collecting a couple of years ago I did a big clean out of all the dreck in my collection. I managed to find a buyer for the bulk lot, who was going to resell them through her market stall that raises money for abandoned dogs, which to me is a great charity. Anyway in the midst of all the books I gathered up, one slipped through the cracks. It was basically worthless and I wasn't attached to it at all. But after I got home from giving the books to the lady my son asked me. "Dad, where's the Young Justice #1?" I thought I'd left that one out, but no. He didn't say anything, but the little look of sadness in his eyes was hard to take.

On 1/28/2022 at 1:01 AM, MattrixAlien said:

Hi. I resurrected this thread as I've thought of another type of comic loss. The book you regret selling. It's different to the other categories as you chose to let it go. In my case when I got back into collecting a couple of years ago I did a big clean out of all the dreck in my collection. I managed to find a buyer for the bulk lot, who was going to resell them through her market stall that raises money for abandoned dogs, which to me is a great charity. Anyway in the midst of all the books I gathered up, one slipped through the cracks. It was basically worthless and I wasn't attached to it at all. But after I got home from giving the books to the lady my son asked me. "Dad, where's the Young Justice #1?" I thought I'd left that one out, but no. He didn't say anything, but the little look of sadness in his eyes was hard to take.

Easily fixed

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-COMICS-YOUNG-JUSTICE-1-1998-NM-COMIC-/134002869756?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I sold my first AF 15 for $150 in credit to a shop in Rochester while I was in school. It was badly cut, and almost certainly had been trimmed by someone to get rid of marvel chipping.  To make matters worse, the shop's owner got sick and the store was closed the last couple of months I was up there, and I left about half of my credits on the table. 

This copy of Fantastic Four #1 was stolen from me in an eBay transaction that occurred on May 12, 2003. Supposedly, hijacked eBay and Paypal user IDs were used and the transaction was charged back to me well over a month after I shipped the book.

The book was shipped to the verified Paypal address, which was:
Trey McDaniel
26849 172nd pl SE
Covington, WA 98042
User ID: trey-autumn
CGC Board Name: The Silver Age

McDaniel was a board member here and he claimed that it wasn't him, he never received the book and someone else was using his accounts. The eBay account that was allegedly stolen, "sold" a bunch of expensive comics in a short time frame, and immediately used the money to buy a bunch of expensive books. The buyers never got anything and the sellers (like me) were all hosed with chargebacks a month after they shipped.

So, on the off chance anyone ever runs across this copy of FF #1, please let me know. I originally purchased it from Stephen Ritter and it grades about GOOD+ in my opinion. It has very distinctive water damage/chipping on the bottom edge of the back cover.

fffrontblog.jpg.6d4dd3dd42382cebc116801a0ca64bf7.jpg

ffbackblog.jpg.dad98d631d4d9956f8acc9a0c4045c77.jpg

On 1/29/2022 at 2:04 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

This copy of Fantastic Four #1 was stolen from me in an eBay transaction that occurred on May 12, 2003. Supposedly, hijacked eBay and Paypal user IDs were used and the transaction was charged back to me well over a month after I shipped the book.

The book was shipped to the verified Paypal address, which was:
Trey McDaniel
26849 172nd pl SE
Covington, WA 98042
User ID: trey-autumn
CGC Board Name: The Silver Age

McDaniel was a board member here and he claimed that it wasn't him, he never received the book and someone else was using his accounts. The eBay account that was allegedly stolen, "sold" a bunch of expensive comics in a short time frame, and immediately used the money to buy a bunch of expensive books. The buyers never got anything and the sellers (like me) were all hosed with chargebacks a month after they shipped.

So, on the off chance anyone ever runs across this copy of FF #1, please let me know. I originally purchased it from Stephen Ritter and it grades about GOOD+ in my opinion. It has very distinctive water damage/chipping on the bottom edge of the back cover.

fffrontblog.jpg.6d4dd3dd42382cebc116801a0ca64bf7.jpg

ffbackblog.jpg.dad98d631d4d9956f8acc9a0c4045c77.jpg

I wish I could choose an angry face for this one :(

Long story short...

Water pipe broke while I was at work. Came home to the kitchen flooded. Went downstairs to shut off the water. It was 'raining' due to the flood upstairs. Boxes of comics were like wet toilet paper. Had been out of comics for many years so had no idea of any values. Saved most ('saved' not being the best word), but threw one box away, due to all the comics were oversized and the box had no top. In the box were 2 copies of TMNT #! I had purchased off the shelf. Later found out what they were worth ... doctors blamed heart attack on cholesterol, but I know better.

I have a lot of sad stories. Here's one of them for you:

I worked in a bookstore at the end of high school and through my undergrad in the late-80s-early 90s. I worked close to full-time hours so I would handle all the deliveries that came in. News agencies would make deliveries daily but I knew bundles of comics would come in Mondays and Thursdays. For five years I routinely cherry-picked comics I wanted in the best condition available from each bundle, placed them in bags and boards, and bought a stack when I got paid. These were all newsstands (but to be honest I didn't get them because they were newsstands; it was what was available to me).

Because I was living at home, then began moving frequently when I was in university, I kept these books in longboxes stored in a closet at my parent's home so I wouldn't have to lug them all over the place. These comics were stored with a few other sets I had from the mid-70s to early-80s (but not all of them).

After buying a house and getting married, I decided to consolidate my collection by moving the comics stored at my parent's house for 15 years into my house. However, they were all gone. I found out my younger brother sold them all. He told me he sold them for $800!

I said that I would've paid him double not to sell them. He just kept saying to me he needed the money so I should understand.

I'm sure most of it is considered drek but man that was hand-picked beautiful drek methodically collected over half a decade --- all gone.

On 1/30/2022 at 11:11 AM, Gaard said:

Long story short...

Water pipe broke while I was at work. Came home to the kitchen flooded. Went downstairs to shut off the water. It was 'raining' due to the flood upstairs. Boxes of comics were like wet toilet paper. Had been out of comics for many years so had no idea of any values. Saved most ('saved' not being the best word), but threw one box away, due to all the comics were oversized and the box had no top. In the box were 2 copies of TMNT #! I had purchased off the shelf. Later found out what they were worth ... doctors blamed heart attack on cholesterol, but I know better.

Yikes.