• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turnaround Times
1 1

32 posts in this topic

When price increases were announced it was framed that the additional costs were used to support the additional workload and decrease turnaround times. Since this increase and announcement, turnaround times have consistently and regularly increased with even standard tier having tripled its turnaround times since November of 2020 (20 days versus currently 60 days). Please provide an update on when CGC will begin to see the intended results of the price increases take effect and turnaround times begin to decrease as opposed to the regular increases observed.

Additionally please clarify what timelines apply... those from the time of submission or is this a moving target. For example, I have books that were submitted through a facilitator in December of 2020 for CCS pressing and subsequent grading. At the time the turnaround was stated as 99 days for pressing and 43 days for modern grading so expected return end of JUL 2021 incorporating shipping/check-in times. Current times are 112 days pressing and 80 days grading for modern; which would mean a mid-October return date (just shy of a full calendar year FYI!). When should I expect my books? Are there additional check-in issues/delays when the book is transferred between CCS and CGC for grading? Or is this seamless?

This situation has caused myself and many other to stop submitting books as well as to begin evaluating alternate sources for the services you offer. I hope there is some real light at the end of the tunnel and a realistic timeline for when this will start to get better. I like the CGC product, but will only stand for so much sub-par service. 

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  I totally understand your frustration at the long turnaround times.  We know that turnaround times are important to our customers. We are currently experiencing extremely high submission volumes and are working hard to complete submissions as quickly as possible while ensuring the quality of our services.  We apologize for any delays or inconvenience.

The current turnaround times on our website now reflect a more accurate time frame from when your package is delivered until approximately when it should be completed.  Previously, it was only showing from when it was logged into the system.  We hope by making this adjustment that it will give a more accurate timeframe for customers to go by.  

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know. 

Thank you,

I have a walkthrough submission that is currently at double the posted wait times.  Should be 15 days for a magazine submission to get pressed and moved to grading.  It's now been 30 days.  This is from when the submission showed up in my CGC account, not when it was delivered.  

I have a lot of patience because I really like CGC, but also wish they would be more transparent.  

Well I am just like everyone else I have books that have been there for 5 to 6 weeks now and some longer and others just getting there. I also understand that when you hire 500 new employees or however many it has been this turn around is not instantaneous. Everyone has to be trained and verified to make sure they can do the job correctly and efficiently. Do you really want someone coming in and saying yeah I can grade a book and handling your $5000 and up comic book and they literally have no background. Yes I can grade a book by looking at it because I have picked many books out for Hero Initiative to send off for grading after large signings. But do I want to handle your books no not really. I love what they do it has changed the face of buying and selling comic books. Now I did screw up one of my shipments. I ended up switching to another box and the Walk Through was written on the original box and I forgot to write it on the new box. So I have a Walk Through that has been sitting there for 5 weeks now. Hopefully they will open the box soon. 

Do you really want someone to be rushing your books through the system because you are in a hurry. Anyway if you want your books graded this is what you have to deal with so be patient and it will happen.  I am one of the most impatient people I know but I understand business and lead times is one of them. I have parts I supply and they may take upwards of 40 & 50 weeks. So 10-12 weeks not so bad. 

Okay I have never sent a book in for pressing. Their website shows 13 weeks for pressing and 15 weeks for grading.

So does it take 13 weeks to get to pressing and another 15 weeks to get graded or does it go straight from pressing in to grading?

On 5/26/2021 at 9:57 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  I totally understand your frustration at the long turnaround times.  We know that turnaround times are important to our customers. We are currently experiencing extremely high submission volumes and are working hard to complete submissions as quickly as possible while ensuring the quality of our services.  We apologize for any delays or inconvenience.

The current turnaround times on our website now reflect a more accurate time frame from when your package is delivered until approximately when it should be completed.  Previously, it was only showing from when it was logged into the system.  We hope by making this adjustment that it will give a more accurate timeframe for customers to go by.  

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know. 

Thank you,

Hi Jennifer, I appreciate your response, but I believe you only addressed a portion of the question. You have clarified that the turnaround times are indeed a moving target. While this is disappointing and unacceptable, CGC has already stated it will not return books already shipped so doesn't seem we have many options unless it gets bad enough for litigation.

Question two was not addressed... When can we expect this to start getting better? I also believe that someone else asked a valid question... what is CGC doing to make it better. Training is important, that will take time. What is being done to ensure that the efforts are going to the backlog and not new initiatives?

Question three was also not addressed... Please provide more insight into the transfer process from CCS to CGC. Are there check-in delays when the book is transferred from CCS to CGC for grading? Or is this fluid and will not add any additional delays?

On 6/3/2021 at 7:30 AM, cklamer said:

Well I am just like everyone else I have books that have been there for 5 to 6 weeks now and some longer and others just getting there. I also understand that when you hire 500 new employees or however many it has been this turn around is not instantaneous. Everyone has to be trained and verified to make sure they can do the job correctly and efficiently. Do you really want someone coming in and saying yeah I can grade a book and handling your $5000 and up comic book and they literally have no background. Yes I can grade a book by looking at it because I have picked many books out for Hero Initiative to send off for grading after large signings. But do I want to handle your books no not really. I love what they do it has changed the face of buying and selling comic books. Now I did screw up one of my shipments. I ended up switching to another box and the Walk Through was written on the original box and I forgot to write it on the new box. So I have a Walk Through that has been sitting there for 5 weeks now. Hopefully they will open the box soon. 

Do you really want someone to be rushing your books through the system because you are in a hurry. Anyway if you want your books graded this is what you have to deal with so be patient and it will happen.  I am one of the most impatient people I know but I understand business and lead times is one of them. I have parts I supply and they may take upwards of 40 & 50 weeks. So 10-12 weeks not so bad. 

I deal in supply chain and logistics...and dealing with lead times on the daily is the norm. If you are going to increase rates on your submissions, then you need to ensure you are providing the service. We are seeing lead times increasing as rates increased, this is backwards. And I totally understand we should all be patient, but customers have a right to be perturbed when they are being charged more now to submit, with very poor TAT. If CGC is so backed up...they have some other options to help them catch up than just hiring and training a ton more employees. 1. Cut the signings. Stop them. This has to take up a ton of extra time. 2. Completely stop taking submissions until they are caught up.

And here's an idea, and I know another card submission/grading site does this....but have a submission lotto of sorts...where you place your submission in the system, and let the site notify you that you can ship your books to them so you, the customer, can receive accurate TAT's. If you create your packing slip, CGC can send out a notification and the green light when you can ship to them (you would be in a line or list)....as opposed to your books just sitting for literally months now before they even get to them. Just a thought and a rant....

Edited by Cnelso9

I am a "noobie" with my first submission of ten books in late May 2021.  I don't have any issue with the waiting.  I just want the books to be accurately inspected and graded and encapsulated.  I go in eyes wide open, knowing that all across the industry the completion times are just astronomical.  I am not going anywhere, and the submissions are part of my person collection.  I do trust the CGC/SGC companies as far as the final professional opinion.