• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Breaking News! eBay now Charges more for Capital Letters!
3 3

69 posts in this topic

So, I don't know how seriously to take this, but I just got off a chat with an eBay representative. I listed a couple of issues of Dr. Strange the other day, and just noticed that I had been charged $4.52 for a "bold listing". Apparently (according to my eBay rep) this is because I used more than one capital letter. Here are screen caps of the part of the conversation about this issue:

ebaynote.PNG

ebaynote2.PNG

ebaynote3.PNG

ebaynote4.PNG

ebaynote5.PNG

Edited by Brock

What kind of wildly_fanciful_statement is this. Like they don't already charge enough, and offer zero protection to sellers. They're really going to charge for capital letters. I know they already charge a stupid amount for a subtitle.

Sounds like a joke, but hard to tell knowing eBay. 🤣

1 hour ago, Brock said:

So, I don't know how seriously to take this, but I just got off a chat with an eBay representative. I listed a couple of issues of Dr. Strange the other day, and just noticed that I had been charged $4.52 for a "bold listing". Apparently (according to my eBay rep) this is because I used more than one capital letter. Here are screen caps of the part of the conversation about this issue:

ebaynote.PNG

ebaynote2.PNG

ebaynote3.PNG

ebaynote4.PNG

ebaynote5.PNG

Like talking to a bot.  Very frustrating.

28 minutes ago, Motor City Rob said:

The rep is probably misinformed. The BOLD option has been around awhile. Has nothing to do with capitalizing letters. Unlimited caps!

100% this. 

It was always a buck or two more to BOLD a title, which gave it a colored background to stand out.  Nothing to do with capital letters.  The setting probably got added by accident.  The rep is too new to know (aren't they all?).

When it first came out, it did work pretty well to get attention for your listing, much cheaper alternative to the Featured Listing, which was $15 for Featured Category, $99 for Featured Home Page.  That was a whole different schedule of charges then, but the base rates were lower.

Edited by Lightning55

5 minutes ago, Bird said:

I did notice the BOLD listing check box is right under the listing title, could OP have checked it by mistake? It was $4 on the drek listing I relisted! :whatthe:

lol must have been, cause when I made a listing title: it automatically capitalized every word after I typed a word.

It's odd enough that I thought about it not being that way ever, before when I made listings. So this thread caught me off guard lol but I don't think it means what the op thought it means

38 minutes ago, Motor City Rob said:

The rep is probably misinformed. The BOLD option has been around awhile. Has nothing to do with capitalizing letters. Unlimited caps!

Not just misinformed, but quite a bit of the snitty-biatchy attitude to go with it. :censored:

20 minutes ago, Bird said:

I did notice the BOLD listing check box is right under the listing title, could OP have checked it by mistake? It was $4 on the drek listing I relisted! :whatthe:

I wondered that too, but when I used "revise listing" to see, bold was not checked. 

18 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

So this thread caught me off guard lol but I don't think it means what the op thought it means

I was definitely more confused after talking to Ryan than before... but here's the crux of his claim:

ebaynote6.PNG

I'd say that's ebay confusion, not OP confusion.

Edited by Brock