• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting June 7th: Beckett will suspend all grading submissions other than our Premium Level.
2 2

9 posts in this topic

https://www.beckett.com/news/beckett-announces-plans-for-2021-national/

Starting June 7th:

Beckett will suspend all grading submissions other than our Premium Level. All orders that are submitted under the Express, Standard, and Economy level will be returned to the customer, ungraded. The reason behind this decision is simply to allow us to focus on the growing backlog we have and to get as many cards back to customers as possible, before the National. This is not ideal for anyone but something our competition has done. We now feel this is right the move for Beckett. Again, this is going to be temporary and something we believe will improve our availability for the remainder of 2021 and into 2022.

Is CGC next? What a wild industry card grading is.

Edited by PokemanDude90

Similar to PSA, I think the majority of their business is in the sports card realm. I think this will have a bigger impact on CSG, where there will be a whole month or so where PSA and Beckett aren't available at all for sports card grading. 

I assume this will tick up a bit for CGC, but I doubt there's a huge volume of graders who are opting for Beckett over CGC that wouldn't just hold out a month for PSA to open back up. Idk, but this one will likely not make a dramatic difference for CGC. 

1 hour ago, Ron Churches said:

Similar to PSA, I think the majority of their business is in the sports card realm. I think this will have a bigger impact on CSG, where there will be a whole month or so where PSA and Beckett aren't available at all for sports card grading. 

I assume this will tick up a bit for CGC, but I doubt there's a huge volume of graders who are opting for Beckett over CGC that wouldn't just hold out a month for PSA to open back up. Idk, but this one will likely not make a dramatic difference for CGC. 

Did either PSA or BGS explicitly state they will be out only the next month or are people seeing what they want to see in these cleverly worded shutdown announcements? And isn't PSA going to trickle in tiers over time, starting with their $150/card Express tier?

Also, doesn't the Magic community heavily favor BGS? That could definitely impact CGC. 

3 hours ago, PokemanDude90 said:

Did either PSA or BGS explicitly state they will be out only the next month or are people seeing what they want to see in these cleverly worded shutdown announcements? And isn't PSA going to trickle in tiers over time, starting with their $150/card Express tier?

Also, doesn't the Magic community heavily favor BGS? That could definitely impact CGC. 

PSA has put out what I'd interpret as 'good news' in their public statements. I would think easing in, from higher tiers down, would be a likely move by PSA. Nobody I know uses Beckett for bulk Pokemon (I'm sure this person exists). Idk, I just see PSA and Beckett as substitutes, PSA and CGC as substitutes, but CGC and Beckett as less substitutes for each other.

8 hours ago, PokemanDude90 said:

Is CGC next? What a wild industry card grading is.

Unless they run out of warehouse space I am guessing CGC will continue to take in everything they can get. Why wouldn't they?

On 6/2/2021 at 12:31 PM, Red84 said:

This is indicative of a bubble in the card market. The sudden inexplicable need to grade any and every card is bizarre.

I agree as it doesn’t make any sense to me. Ebay is going to be flooded with garbage/junk slabs. I cant want to see the fallout in modern basketball non-numbered rookie cards.

On 6/2/2021 at 12:31 PM, Red84 said:

This is indicative of a bubble in the card market. The sudden inexplicable need to grade any and every card is bizarre.

I was about 7 cards short on my first bulk sub, so I sent in a few evolutions holos. I didn't really think I'd ever sell them. I was just using them as fillers to hit the limit. People bought them though, so I guess that's why people are grading almost everything. Doesn't make sense to me but whatever, money is money.