• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My humble entry into collecting Golden Age age
1 1

15 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Welcome to the wild, wacky world of GA. Very nice book to break your cherry on. Once you taste GA, you just can't go back.

Thanks , I think I did well price wise and love the cover.

Just reposted this in the Golden Age Thread didn't realize I was in Comics General and know someone may call me out on it.

Though I could argue it's a general comics discussion lol

Sounds like I found a nice rare-ish gem.

The the delicate spine gives me the willies. I wonder how those of you who have collected gold for some time view this. Should I just get it encapsulated as is, hoping for a 2.0 (anybody know if I'm in the ballpark with that idea of a grade).

Should I aim for the new fangled conserved label and see if I can find a historian/archivist/Indiana Jones to "conserve" the book.

2.5 Universal sold at Heritage for $780 in March. Nice book and great buy!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/horror/witchcraft-2-avon-1952-cgc-gd-25-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122109-11626.s?type=GoCollect122109

Post pics in the Hey Buddy Can You Spare a Grade Forum and you’ll get a grade range.

On 6/9/2021 at 6:03 PM, Lurker89 said:

Hello my distinguished friends.

Been a member here for a while lurked here many years longer.

I mostly collect bronze age but I have always wanted to jump into the Golden Age with you fine gentlemen.

Recently I traded a chunk of books to one of my local shops for this nice piece of entry gold:

IMG_20210609_193036.thumb.jpg.3548b9e3a01c356118b743f14d836600.jpg

I have plenty of golden age targets but actually collecting Golden Age is new to me and proper value is hard to determine for a newbie to these golden halls.

So I have come you to guys to see how I did.

The price tag was $250

My trade value was a good chunk over $300 but I had to make it worth the shops time.

The book presents really well but has ample issues. The main one being a spine split affecting the cover only that goes up the bottom third of the book and looks like it it would gladly run another third if handled improperly. There is also a slight moisture stain on the top left and other general wear.

Hopefully some of you guys have some ideas on where a grade would land. I'd be happy with a 2.0 but am a man in a strange new land when it comes to Golden Age beauties like this.

Great underrated book.  I have a CGC 2.5 and love it.

Fantastic book. And unless there's something substantially wrong with it that we can't see, you did good on the price too.

That's probably my favorite cover from Avon's Witchcraft, although #5 and #3 are also both good and I'm not at all bitter about having let a nice copy of #3 go for far too cheap many years ago.