• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers 4
4 4

48 posts in this topic

From awesome to embarrassing. I bought this as a kid many years ago (pre-internet) and thought I had both a great book and a sig by Kirby...and then reality hit and now I'm just sad and feel a bit silly.

I know it's a low grade, and I've sent it off to get it pressed and cleaned for what good it may do, but my questions are more:

1) How much do you think the "signature" will lower the grade, whatever that turns out to be?

2) Is it worth getting it slabbed, or just leave it raw? I've heard that raw is better than a green label.

Thanks in advance, and if these questions would apply better to another forum please let me know.

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

2.0/2.5

A press undoubtedly would help.

The markings doesn't look like how Kirby typically signed his name, but it does look a bit like how he wrote his name. The "K" and "y" in Kirby look right. But who's to say? I wouldn't immediately write it off as fake.

In any case, the markings will not effect the grade it's in so I wouldn't see why the green label.

Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, grendelbo said:

2.0/2.5

A press undoubtedly would help.

The markings doesn't look like how Kirby typically signed his name, but it does look a bit like how he wrote his name. The "K" and "y" in Kirby look right. But who's to say? I wouldn't immediately write it off as fake.

In any case, the markings will not effect the grade it's in so I wouldn't see why the green label.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that any unverified signature on the cover automatically got you a green label?

56 minutes ago, PMminer said:

Thanks!

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that any unverified signature on the cover automatically got you a green label?

Dunno about that. You may be right - I don't slab.

To clarify, I would call this copy a 2.0/2.5 with or without the writing. IMO, once a book gets into the GD range any writing is allowed so long as it doesn't get out of control (imagine a cover just filled with scribble).

Signature/unverified signature/forgery - it's all the same to me: writing on cover in marker. I would downgrade a book in the GD range if I considered the writing on it a defacement (but that's a tricky determination).

IMO, of course.

Thanks.

How'd you get it pressed so quickly?

I'm suspicious of any Kirby signatures on the cover of a book, and yours looks even more suspect. With a book like this, I think you can get a blue label that says name written on label.

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

How'd you get it pressed so quickly?

I'm suspicious of any Kirby signatures on the cover of a book, and yours looks even more suspect. With a book like this, I think you can get a blue label that says name written on label.

After just getting the results back and having great interactions with Dennis Shafer at Comic Book Pressing Service I can highly recommend them. I submitted 20 books to them on 6/18 and he finished up yesterday. Compared with the 2 or 3 months I was seeing elsewhere that's fantastic. And I'm happy with the results. Plus, as you can see above he sent multiple photos of the results for each book as well, which was nice.

So, I have no affiliation other than I've used their service, and give Dennis high marks for quality, speedy work and great customer service.

---------------------------------------------

Yes, IMO it's obvious there's no way that's a Kirby signature. Which made it all the more embarrassing when I figured it out. From what I can tell you can either get a blue label with a lower grade, or a green label with a grade as if the writing weren't there.

Kirby had his regular signature and then this stylized version you'd see on posters and some art, etc. And as others noted, he rarely signed on the cover. But, it's possible someone requested a cover signature and he obliged.

It looks as if it was signed quickly and with confidence, and a red marker on a cover would be an odd choice for a forger to make. The jury is still out IMO, but I think it may be good.

The pressing made a big aesthetic difference, but I'm not sure it improved the technical grade. I'd say around 2.0 before and after. With the long creases, spine wear and tape, I'm not sure it can surpass 2.0. Maybe 2.5 if you get real lucky.