• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC/CCG to be sold...
8 8

459 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Terry_JSA said:

I do think it could lead to good, CBCS was acquired by Beckett and they’re doing just fine. I personally think we should all just wait before we start jumping to conclusions about the future of CGC. The way I see it is that with Blackstone investing into CGC, they’ll have funds to clean up some of the ongoing problems they’ve been having like QC and reducing turnaround times. Let’s also not forget the CEO of CGC still retains a share of the company. 

Beckett is better than Blackstone.  

54 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Based upon what?

One could argue Beckett had its own place in the collectibles hobby/market already. So their perspective on their acquisition (CBCS) may be more nuanced, vs Blackstone who likely will just runs a standard playbook regardless of the type of company acquired.

1 minute ago, miraclemet said:

One could argue Beckett had its own place in the collectibles hobby/market already. So their perspective on their acquisition (CBCS) may be more nuanced, vs Blackstone who likely will just runs a standard playbook regardless of the type of company acquired.

Maybe, but focusing solely on Blackstone's role seems a bit shortsighted to me, especially with Roc Nation and my very briefly former college classmate Andre Iguodala also being involved (I'm serious, we were in the same poli sci class for a bit).  And let's not mince words -- even after getting picked up by Beckett, the other guys are still far and away second fiddle to CGC.  

All this hysteria is based around the fear of Blackstone vulturing CCG and its components in order to make a few quick bucks.  Which completely ignores the foresight that the other players bring to the table.  You think they don't see this as a major opportunity to tap into a booming market and cross promote their other brands at the same time?  Jay-Z may not have enough money to buy Disney, but now he can take part in this here market that we all partake in that is a direct beneficiary of Disney's MCU. 

Take these boards for example.  As others have noted, plenty of commerce and chatter (i.e. free market research) occurs here every day.  Why shut that down or make people pay to participate?  If anything, they should make the software more reliable and promote the feature ("Share your thoughts with other collectors from all around the world!  And meet kav!").  What I would not be shocked to see here though -- ads.  That is probably inevitable.  But I can live with that.  

13 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

This is a good point. Beckett was already involved in the collectibles market since they dealt with sports cards so them acquiring CBCS meant they could expand on that and bring comics into the mix. Blackstone on the other hand doesn’t have an already established name in the collectibles market so of course people are going to be worried. 

We all know that CCG operational management sucks. My modern grade with pressing will probably have a 10 month turnaround. That's really just unacceptable as a business model. 

So change has gotta be a good thing here, right?

I am hoping Blackstone will bring in someone who can manage the business efficiently. It's pretty clear to me that the business got away from the current management team. 

This is VERY common in startups. The entrepreneur has the vision, starts the business, and the business grows like crazy because it was so transformative for the industry. But MOST entrepreneurs CANNOT run a big business. By nature they are not logistics professionals, or industrial engineers. They are visionaries. 

It makes sense to pass on the company to people who can run it like a business. Let's hope Blackstone has those people and that commitment.

12 minutes ago, StarV100 said:

We all know that CCG operational management sucks. My modern grade with pressing will probably have a 10 month turnaround. That's really just unacceptable as a business model. 

So change has gotta be a good thing here, right?

I am hoping Blackstone will bring in someone who can manage the business efficiently. It's pretty clear to me that the business got away from the current management team. 

This is VERY common in startups. The entrepreneur has the vision, starts the business, and the business grows like crazy because it was so transformative for the industry. But MOST entrepreneurs CANNOT run a big business. By nature they are not logistics professionals, or industrial engineers. They are visionaries. 

It makes sense to pass on the company to people who can run it like a business. Let's hope Blackstone has those people and that commitment.

After 20 years, they are no longer a startup.

Just now, Wolverinex said:

Doesn't make it right. 

It's how the game is played, not everyone gets a trophy.  Or atrophy.  Blackstone wants to throw some of its money around and be in the landlord business, that's their right.  Just like their tenants don't have to rent from them.

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

It's how the game is played, not everyone gets a trophy.  Or atrophy.  Blackstone wants to throw some of its money around and be in the landlord business, that's their right.  Just like their tenants don't have to rent from them.

The game can be really dirty at times and doesn't mean I have to -like it. 

8 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

That's just semantics.  How many years and many owners did it take before Marvel finally unlocked the full potential of its properties?

I have no clue what you are talking about or how it relates to what I said.

"Unlock the full potential of it's properties" is another bull:censored: corporate expression like "paradigm shift" or "company cinergy."

Edited by D84

2 minutes ago, D84 said:

I have no clue what you are talking about or how it relates to what I said.

"Unlock the full potential of it's properties" is another bull:censored: corporate expression like "paradigm shift" or "company cinergy."

Well for starters, you replied to StarV100 by focusing on one little word in his post that he wasn't even applying to CCG.  Then you cited a timeframe.  

So let's talk timeframes -- 20 years in, CGC is still plagued by awful turnaround times, QC issues, staffing trouble, and complaints of inconsistent grading.  One could easily make the argument they aren't operating as efficiently, or profitably as they could.  20 years, 1 owner (or more, has CCG changed hands before, I honestly don't know).

Marvel/Timely -- For 5 or 6 decades, they were primarily in the print business, and on the fringes of TV and radio entertainment.  I'm not sure how many different entities owned the company during that time, but I believe it was at least 3 or 4.  1996...Marvel bankrupt.  Possibly the lowest point in the company's history, thank you Ron Perelman.  In the aftermath, Perelman gets ousted.  2000, the Avi Arad brokered X-Men film is released, and the rest is history.  2021, Marvel is printing money for Disney.

If you can't understand the parallels, best of luck to you.

49 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Well for starters, you replied to StarV100 by focusing on one little word in his post that he wasn't even applying to CCG.  Then you cited a timeframe.  

So let's talk timeframes -- 20 years in, CGC is still plagued by awful turnaround times, QC issues, staffing trouble, and complaints of inconsistent grading.  One could easily make the argument they aren't operating as efficiently, or profitably as they could.  20 years, 1 owner (or more, has CCG changed hands before, I honestly don't know).

Marvel/Timely -- For 5 or 6 decades, they were primarily in the print business, and on the fringes of TV and radio entertainment.  I'm not sure how many different entities owned the company during that time, but I believe it was at least 3 or 4.  1996...Marvel bankrupt.  Possibly the lowest point in the company's history, thank you Ron Perelman.  In the aftermath, Perelman gets ousted.  2000, the Avi Arad brokered X-Men film is released, and the rest is history.  2021, Marvel is printing money for Disney.

If you can't understand the parallels, best of luck to you.

A startup company is a newly formed business with particular momentum behind it based on perceived demand for its product or service. The intention of a startup is to grow rapidly as a result of offering something that addresses a particular market gap.

CGC is not a newly formed company, and neither was Marvel, so comparing it to a startup is a false equivalency. 

Also, comparing CGC to Marvel is another false equivalency. Marvel was on the verge of collapse when Mr. Arad helped turn it around. CGC is very behind on turnaround times and has some serious quality control issues, but is nowhere near the state Marvel was in. CGC is booming right now.

So your comments make no sense in response to me.

But, I'm done here and moving on from this part of the discussion.