• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC/CCG to be sold...
8 8

459 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

but doubt they care.  

500 million reasons why all of us combined are like a few grains of sand on the average beach. However, we are the window into the heart and soul of the hobby so knowing what we think and helpful input can and probably has played a critical part in shaping their business model for the better. Always good to know what your consumers are thinking, their observations,and what better way to tap that intel other than real-time discourse between the hobbyists to be served. No business stays in business for long unless they satisfy their consumers, and a forum like this can reveal chinks in the armor for improvement. And just maybe suggestions that may be explored and adopted. The forum, especially this one, I see as an asset to CGC and their ability to keep their finger on the pulse of the hobby. It was a great idea when started, and just as good an idea to maintain now and in the future. 

Edited by James J Johnson

What if they hire 24/7 forum administrators? hm

Other thoughts:
As terrible as ebae has gotten, it would be nice to have a site like that more focused on the hobby or type of hobby.
I saw the Turkish analog of ebae in the news and actually thought, "I wonder if comics sell there?".
Maybe big money could do this with the CGC Marketplace. $$$ (30% premium you say?)

The number of graders is obviously way too low.
Many of us have been grading informally for decades.
If they really wanted to solve this bottleneck they could start throwing money around, maybe even use term contract positions.

In light of this change in ownership, perhaps certain entities accused of having undue influence at CGC might find their influence diminished.

I doubt we'll see much change in the near term. At least I hope not. Change is scary.

Edited by Doctor Dositheus
clarity and spelling

8 hours ago, wombat said:

Of course the questions will be how do they envision making more money. It could go in different directions. Hire a bunch more graders and you can get more books out the door. Or dictate that time spent on grading needs to be reduced by 50%. That gets a lot more books out the door to. Or hire a bunch of new receiving department lower wage people and start charging the minute the book is marked as received. Then you don't care how long it takes. 

They can start with the card grading. That has been so poorly run you can just see the money that is being left on the table there.

Lots of posts for the CGC card grading section. “Do you grade unopened Pokémon packs? I’d love to get them in a CGC case and not graded by another company.”  Answer every time “Sorry we don’t grade those”. Meanwhile the competitor does.

Same thing with “do you grade Star Wars or Marvel cards?”.  
Answer: “Sorry we don’t do that and CSG only grades sports cards”.

All Blackstone has to do is have an intern scroll trough these boards and they can see where money is not being adequately captured. They also might even  decide its not worth having CGC grade only TCG and CSG 
grade sports cards and stream line then into one. CGC a has a name recognition but what is the point of they only grade TCG Pokémon and Magic at this point and soon to be Yu-Gi-Oh.

R&D may also be an area they target to roll out the ability to grade different cards. The number of posts about not being able to grade certain cards due to size (we aren’t talking crazy jumbo or super small cards) is ridiculous and it’s been seen for both CGC and CSG cards.

Then of course computer system and data updates could be tackled as that’s really other alleged reason for not offering more TCG cards being available for grading.

This could of course could lead to some not to knowledgeable experts. I know sometimes TATs in the CGC card section are blamed on needing to research the card. Here is where things could just get pushed out the door a little sloppily...HOWEVER, will collectors really care when you have cards graded by competitors like PSA sitting in cases with certified auto’s that are clearly forgeries because well...the person spelled their own name wrong? Not to mention all the proven trimmed cards sitting in PSA cases yet graded sports card mania marches on.

5 hours ago, HotKey said:

Is this considered a variant or a relaunch?

Reboot. They killed the main character off, but unlike a Marvel book this one won’t be brought back to life in a year via some convoluted event. The new character Blackstone will be in the costume long term. Speculation is open though - just search for BX on the NYSE. 

2 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

Reboot. They killed the main character off, but unlike a Marvel book this one won’t be brought back to life in a year via some convoluted event. The new character Blackstone will be in the costume long term. Speculation is open though - just search for BX on the NYSE. 

If I search for BX on the NYSE won't I get spoilers? 

25 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

They can start with the card grading. That has been so poorly run you can just see the money that is being left on the table there.

Lots of posts for the CGC card grading section. “Do you grade unopened Pokémon packs? I’d love to get them in a CGC case and not graded by another company.”  Answer every time “Sorry we don’t grade those”. Meanwhile the competitor does.

Same thing with “do you grade Star Wars or Marvel cards?”.  
Answer: “Sorry we don’t do that and CSG only grades sports cards”.

All Blackstone has to do is have an intern scroll trough these boards and they can see where money is not being adequately captured. They also might even  decide its not worth having CGC grade only TCG and CSG 
grade sports cards and stream line then into one. CGC a has a name recognition but what is the point of they only grade TCG Pokémon and Magic at this point and soon to be Yu-Gi-Oh.

R&D may also be an area they target to roll out the ability to grade different cards. The number of posts about not being able to grade certain cards due to size (we aren’t talking crazy jumbo or super small cards) is ridiculous and it’s been seen for both CGC and CSG cards.

Then of course computer system and data updates could be tackled as that’s really other alleged reason for not offering more TCG cards being available for grading.

This could of course could lead to some not to knowledgeable experts. I know sometimes TATs in the CGC card section are blamed on needing to research the card. Here is where things could just get pushed out the door a little sloppily...HOWEVER, will collectors really care when you have cards graded by competitors like PSA sitting in cases with certified auto’s that are clearly forgeries because well...the person spelled their own name wrong? Not to mention all the proven trimmed cards sitting in PSA cases yet graded sports card mania marches on.

Many a good point. Don't know why they didn't roll cards under one umbrella, and do everything card related similar to what PSA has going. My guess was they just don't have the resources.

Next up, a small piece of environmentally sensitive paper that changes color over time in the label section of the slabs. If it’s X color all is “good”, if it’s Y color it’s time for a reslab to upgrade the microchamber paper. The composition of this mysterious material will be proprietary, but after 5-10yrs if you want top dollar, you better not have a skunked slab (coining the term now)!

Edited by Callaway29

5 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Next up, a small piece of environmentally sensitive paper that changes color over time in the label section of the slabs. If it’s X color all is “good”, if it’s Y color it’s time for a reslab to upgrade the microchamber paper. The composition of this mysterious material will be proprietary, but after 5-10yrs if you want top dollar, you better not have a skunk slab (coining the term now)!

Oohh.. perfect.  That is exactly what will happen.  Or  reslab every other year.... also maybe annual subscription plan for reslabbing up to a certain number.