• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting one and only one title
4 4

76 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, The lips said:

My goal is to complete full run of ASM ( plus AF15) from issue 1 to 375 and I’m determined to do so. 

If you're serious about this, I recommend @oakman29's advice- Buy the keys first and then fill in the rest after.  If history is any indication, you'll never be able to purchase Amazing Fantasy 15 for less than it is right now.  And the keys will outpace all others in terms of value increase.  2c

15 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

I never could focus.  When I'd go to a con, I inevitably couldn't find the top 10 issues I was looking for, but found dozens of other things I wanted.

Since no one else is asking, why stop at 375 when the run ends at 441?

Honestly if I were to collect asm, 375 is where I'd cut off as well.  The title got really bad past that point. 

4 hours ago, The lips said:

Thanks. 

yeah that’s the plan, once I complete this or get as damn close as I financially can I’ll start on another run. Probably Silver Surfer volume 1 as I still have first issue. 

Good for you! My monkey is Spawn, and it hurts!

1 hour ago, waaaghboss said:

Honestly if I were to collect asm, 375 is where I'd cut off as well.  The title got really bad past that point. 

Bagley's ASM from 351 on are readily available.  Outside of the obvious books, 350-390 is prime dollar bin material.  I'm not sure if they were printing more at the time, or if they're just available because Bagley's run was so terrible.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd stop all Spider-Man titles at Kraven's Last Hunt.  No McFarlane, no symbiotes.

13 hours ago, D84 said:

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I've considered dumping everything else and focusing on the longest run of Detective Comics (1st series, up to 881) I can put together.

1 through 38 would be a lifetime achievement. 

I thought about collecting only "Conan" that means everything Conan…I.e. Conan the Barbarian, Savage Sword of Conan, Savage Tales…etc…….but…
then Daredevil starts to creep in..and before  you know it, a crack in the door starts to happen that let's light in for X-Men, then I feel the earth shake for Spider-man to come up from the ground, then the sky parts etc….
….So  NO…I simply can't cut down to one title or one character right now..

I went through a similar phase myself, focused on only ASM. I completed my 1-400 run on my 40th birthday in 2018. (Never acquired AF15 and probably never will.)

my next goal which I tried for a while was to collect all the single digits of marvel superhero silver age titles. Finished Daredevil 1 - 9 but then hit a roadblock with FF. Too expensive! 

I’ve also thought of trying for a super low grade Spidey run too, find out the cheapest I can complete the run. But some of the keys will break the bank even in low grade these days. 

15 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

If you're serious about this, I recommend @oakman29's advice- Buy the keys first and then fill in the rest after.  If history is any indication, you'll never be able to purchase Amazing Fantasy 15 for less than it is right now.  And the keys will outpace all others in terms of value increase.  2c

Yeah that’s sort of the strategy but the addiction of plugging gaps and buying non keys is too much. 

13 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Bagley's ASM from 351 on are readily available.  Outside of the obvious books, 350-390 is prime dollar bin material.  I'm not sure if they were printing more at the time, or if they're just available because Bagley's run was so terrible.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd stop all Spider-Man titles at Kraven's Last Hunt.  No McFarlane, no symbiotes.

Interesting. 
May first goal was to complete the run of 298-350 which I had a really good head start on From when I was young. Imo it’s the best part of the run but I put that down to nostalgia 

That’s what I love about this hobby. Everyone can collect what and how they want. I’m all over the board. I collect different titles from all eras. I do mainly focus on Amazing Spider-Man, Batman, Daredevil, Conan, Jonah Hex, Tomb of Dracula, Usagi Yojimbo and Archie Titles.I will also try new things that grab my attention.

4 hours ago, southern cross said:

Go for what you enjoy.

Half the fun in collecting is the hunt.

And I love a challenge vin collecting.

For last 2 years I've been trying to collect may 1972 comics of my birth month and year.

Yeah I know they were printed before that but i still want the May on the cover.

The fun of finding obscure books at a con of all places of Bobby Sherman issue 3 from Charlton is a laugh.

I've got most of marvel and DC except the romance that are hard to find.

I have found weird stuff like this.

So have fun collecting 

Screenshot_20210703-220233.thumb.png.bddb06eaf486607dc05f1be9fe97d916.pngScreenshot_20210703-220332.thumb.png.ba65357dd8751a54331e7826e3a2dbe1.pngScreenshot_20210703-220446.thumb.png.0f786e2a12c5c22cbaed06dd09a70904.png

I’m a May 1972 birthday person as well.

16 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

That's good advice. I put together a CGC 9.4 WP run of ASM 100-200 over some years (I already had them raw in multiples, so it was the next logical step). I decide to go for volume at the start, i.e. get a few handfuls of non-keys for the price of one key. The idea was that the greater volume of issues I had made me feel like I was well on my way to achieving the goal. It turned out to be an unwise move, as 121, 122 and 129 ended up costing me at least three times what I otherwise would have paid had I got them at the start. 129 especially became ridiculously expensive, ridiculously quickly. The non-keys did not increase anywhere near as much. 

So getting the big guns first definitely makes sense. 

I concur, collect what you like...simple as that.

Hey, I've been working on a complete "raw" run of BATMAN for decades (NM or better 227 to today, VF or better 151 to 226, Fine or better #101 to 150, VG or better #1 to 100). The run is complete from 68 up but I'm still missing most between #1 to #68 only because of their scarcity and cost.

The feeling of completing a run, or a chunk of a run, is fantastic...pretty sure I'll never complete this early BATMAN run in VG or better but hey, you never know what we might find out there. The fun is in the search and in finding one or more. Believe it or not, the last comic book I found to complete my ASM collection many, many years ago was #20...just couldn't find that particular issue in a grade and price I was happy with.

Good luck and enjoy.

47 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's good advice. I put together a CGC 9.4 WP run of ASM 100-200 over some years (I already had them raw in multiples, so it was the next logical step). I decide to go for volume at the start, i.e. get a few handfuls of non-keys for the price of one key. The idea was that the greater volume of issues I had made me feel like I was well on my way to achieving the goal. It turned out to be an unwise move, as 121, 122 and 129 ended up costing me at least three times what I otherwise would have paid had I got them at the start. 129 especially became ridiculously expensive, ridiculously quickly. The non-keys did not increase anywhere near as much. 

So getting the big guns first definitely makes sense. 

Yeah that makes sense. I sold a few keys years back so first one I replaced was 300 which I got a lot cheaper than what I would now, likewise 238 and 252. 
I am buying cheaper bulk but trying to buy the more expensive ones now before it goes too crazy 

15 minutes ago, CAMPER49 said:

I concur, collect what you like...simple as that.

Hey, I've been working on a complete "raw" run of BATMAN for decades (NM or better 227 to today, VF or better 151 to 226, Fine or better #101 to 150, VG or better #1 to 100). The run is complete from 68 up but I'm still missing most between #1 to #68 only because of their scarcity and cost.

The feeling of completing a run, or a chunk of a run, is fantastic...pretty sure I'll never complete this early BATMAN run in VG or better but hey, you never know what we might find out there. The fun is in the search and in finding one or more. Believe it or not, the last comic book I found to complete my ASM collection many, many years ago was #20...just couldn't find that particular issue in a grade and price I was happy with.

Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks. 
Thing is if I “collected what I like” I’d be be back buyIng multiple titles and not financially be able to complete my dream run. 
Third world problems etc !! 

good luck with the Batman run buddy 

Edited by The lips

10 hours ago, musicmeta said:

I thought about collecting only "Conan" that means everything Conan…I.e. Conan the Barbarian, Savage Sword of Conan, Savage Tales…etc…….but…
then Daredevil starts to creep in..and before  you know it, a crack in the door starts to happen that let's light in for X-Men, then I feel the earth shake for Spider-man to come up from the ground, then the sky parts etc….
….So  NO…I simply can't cut down to one title or one character right now..

Conan 1 to 100 was my first complete run in the late 70s. It was a satisfying achievement for a British kid with limited resources.

Edited by Ken Aldred