• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting one and only one title
4 4

76 posts in this topic

Though achieving the run is an accomplishment. I still enjoy the hunt.

Another run that I've been working on for the last 15-20 years not sure how long now is my TTA run 70-101.

Should be easy but to make it more fun and challenging I'm trying to get them all cgc and from a recognized silver age pedigree.

I've gotten the minor keys first.

70, 82, 90, 92 and 93

I'm just missing 4 now and even posted in comics wanted to buy even offering 1.5- 2 times fmv but with no luck.

The hunt continues 👍 

Oh by the way, anyone looking to sell I need cgc pedigree issues

76, 87, 100 and 101

Edited by southern cross
Added want list

I have decided to focus only on Marvel and avoid all X-books.  In that sub-category. I am trying to isolate a few titles and complete some long Silver/Bronze runs.   (Currently Cap, DD, Iron Man, Luke Cage, ASM).  While I would like to whittle that down even more, sometimes you just come across some nice, higher grade stuff at decent prices, and don't want to pass up for FOMO.  

4 hours ago, The lips said:

Yeah that’s sort of the strategy but the addiction of plugging gaps and buying non keys is too much. 

That's where the focus comes into play. It's tough not to stray onto different books, I get it. You just need to concentrate on one book at a time. The first ten Spidey books starting with #1 , then # 31,32,33,39,50,100,101,121,122,129,136,238,239,300.

Once you are at that point the rest is a cake walk working on fillers to complete the run up to that point.

Edited by oakman29

10 hours ago, oakman29 said:

1 through 38 would be a lifetime achievement. 

I may focus on 32 on, since that's the oldest one I have, but we shall see what happens. To get my dream book, issue 29, I may have to sell most of my non-Detective issues, and start dealing drugs.

55 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

That's where the focus comes into play. It's tough not to stray onto different books, I get it. You just need to concentrate on one book at a time. The first ten Spidey books starting with #1 , then # 31,32,33,39,50,100,101,121,122,129,136,238,239,300.

Once you are at that point the rest is a cake walk working on fillers to complete the run up to that point.

Yeah. I’m now focusing on one pricey book a month when I get paid. I’m happy still plugging gaps but I’m at the stage where the cheaper books are all owned. 
ive completed 250-375 and just about to complete 200-250 and ive got the keys 238 / 252 so rest is easy. 
I’m getting there on 51-100 but yeah I need to start pulling the trigger where I financially can on bigger keys 

On 7/3/2021 at 9:00 AM, The lips said:

Anybody else do this ?

When I was young I collected around 6 or 7 titles monthly but now I only focus on ASM. 

My goal is to complete full run of ASM ( plus AF15) from issue 1 to 375 and I’m determined to do so. 
As we know it’s not cheap so to help fund this I’ve  sold off vast majority of all other titles. 
I do miss my Fantastic Four / Silver Surfer / X Men but they’ve been sacrificed unfortunately for the greater good. 
I still regularly feel the urge to buy other titles but my way of thinking is that money spent on other titles means I’m not buying an issue to complete my goal of ASM completion. 

if I had the money I would just buy them all but my pockets aren’t deep enough !! I almost feel guilty and almost a comic book fraud by only buying one title so anybody else do this or just me ??!! 

I’m doing the same - 1-375. But I lose focus. Also trying to collect Tales of Suspense, Warren magazines, and EC horror and crime. All I have left (and I use that term loosely) of the major ASM keys are #6 and, unfortunately, AF15. With prices as they are, my hopes of getting AF15 are diminishing. 

1 hour ago, conan09279 said:

I’m doing the same - 1-375. But I lose focus. Also trying to collect Tales of Suspense, Warren magazines, and EC horror and crime. All I have left (and I use that term loosely) of the major ASM keys are #6 and, unfortunately, AF15. With prices as they are, my hopes of getting AF15 are diminishing. 

Wow that’s a great collection you’ve put together and best of luck getting that issue 6 soon. 
Yeah AF15 is the ultimate but my head says it may not happen ! 

1 hour ago, Icctrombone said:

Wow, this thread just gave me an idea to sell as much of my books to get Avengers #1 and 4. 

I say go for it, if those are the issues you really want!  I recently sold most of my Bronze and Copper keys to get an X-Men 1 and have no regrets.

19 hours ago, Austin_t_a said:

I say go for it, if those are the issues you really want!  I recently sold most of my Bronze and Copper keys to get an X-Men 1 and have no regrets.

Will save you a lot of space too....

It's fun to look through an old short box and remember a run you once loved but I've found it quite satisfying to sell it off if I know I'm contributing to something bigger. In a way I'd love to be able to give some away to up and coming collectors rather than sell to a random on ebay. Obviously it's not always financially possible to do this but I'm still trying to get a stack together that I'm happy to hand down as a freebie if the opportunity comes up. Nothing big, just good stories that I remember peaked my own interest back in the day.

On 7/24/2021 at 6:11 PM, archiecomicscollector said:

I've only ever collected Archie titles (over 20 years), and right now I'm focused on completing the following runs: Archie's T.V. Laugh Out, Everything's Archie, Life With Archie, Katy Keene, Sabrina The Teenage Witch, and She's Josie / Josie and the Pussycats. 

mine so far are 

Modest compared to yours, I've seen your pics before! Still were you going after slabs?     

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/24/2021 at 6:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

mine so far are 

Modest compared to yours, I've seen your pics before! Still were you going after slabs?     

All my comics, excluding the first appearance of Cheryl Blossom, are raw. I keep getting outbid on Comic Connect, HA, etc. for graded Golden Age comics. I haven't submitted any to be graded, due to the long wait times. 

Captain Marvel is the only title I actively collect now. I have many other books, but Mar-Vell has always been my favorite title since I was young, and in pre-dork status 🥰

On 7/3/2021 at 12:13 PM, Randall Dowling said:

If you're serious about this, I recommend @oakman29's advice- Buy the keys first and then fill in the rest after.  If history is any indication, you'll never be able to purchase Amazing Fantasy 15 for less than it is right now.  And the keys will outpace all others in terms of value increase.  2c

I really wanted to do an amazing Spiderman run but held off till I bought issue 1.  I have bought a wide range of issues since but now focus on issue 2-20