• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Not a perfect movie but I liked it..." - where are these perfect movies?
10 10

258 posts in this topic

Fitting article for this thread.

• ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND IS A ROLLERCOASTER OF EMOTION
  • THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL IS A WES ANDERSON MASTERPIECE
  • JAWS IS STILL STRIKING FEAR INTO THE HEART OF THE PUBLIC
  • UNFORGIVEN TURNS THE WESTERN ON ITS HEAD
  • THERE WILL BE BLOOD SHOWS THE DARKNESS WITHIN PEOPLE
  • THERE'S A FAR DEEPER MEANING BEHIND JOHN WICK
  • YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE IS INCREDIBLY DARK AND DIFFERENT
  • THE WITCH REVITALIZED THE HORROR GENRE

On 7/7/2021 at 6:08 AM, Bosco685 said:

Good list.

Over the years Space Odyssey was held up as an incredible and under-appreciated film. But then as the unfamiliar gave it a go, more started picking apart the story flow or even the scenes meant to convey everyday life in space not conveying gravity correctly or movement of ships and people. But most consider it a masterpiece.

As much as I very much appreciate Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country conveys the reality of a human-driven Federation attempting to hold together an alliance at times even they did not want. Including engaging with a devastated Klingon Empire. To their face offering support and care: behind the scenes noting disgust at their lack of manners or even strong dislike due to past attacks and family tragedies. Those two films are always high on my Star Trek fan list.

The lists are right for the individuals. but my 2 are Star Wars A new hope, there has never been an opening like the battleship coming in over our heads, and drum roll please, #1 imo, being a fan of :applause:the opioid king, Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland, by Disney.

On 5/3/2023 at 1:16 AM, jimjum12 said:

To me, there is "perfect" according to the standards of others, and then there is that special kind of "perfect" according to my own closely guarded standards. If a film truly is "perfect", then it's acceptance should be unanimous, but good luck with that. 

Another of my "Top Ten" that I revisit fairly often is Peter Jackson's "King Kong". His "Lord Of The Rings" trilogy was another cornerstone of the medium as far as I was concerned. 

"Fried Green Tomatoes" :cloud9:

"Saving Private Ryan" :cloud9:

"Forrest Gump" :cloud9:

"Green Mile" :cloud9:

"The Unforgiven" :cloud9:

"The Goonies" :cloud9:

"The Shape Of Water":cloud9:

"Steel Magnolias":cloud9:

"Where Eagles Dare":cloud9:

... to me, these were a few examples of films that didn't have air pockets or speed bumps ... perfect ? That depends. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Is that "The Unforgiven"?, or "Unforgiven"?  Two different movies.

On 8/13/2023 at 5:07 AM, Spawnfreak said:

Is that "The Unforgiven"?, or "Unforgiven"?  Two different movies.

The Eastwood one which, I believe, won an Oscar. I may like the other one too, but don't recall seeing it. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

This may fall into the 'weird' category for this thread topic, but American Ultra to me has so much of what I look for in a comedy/action movie:

1. Great casting
  2. Whacky/fun story
  3. A soundtrack that enhances the story
  4. Great cinematography blending in comic book art with progressively more intense and zany scenes
  5. Relatable content as the leads come across as anyone you may happen across in your local c-store or magazine stand
  6. The relationship between Mike (Jesse Eisenberg) and Phoebe (Kristen Stewart) including their flawed personalities yet strong love for one another throughout the film

I've watched this film multiple times (like the sports comedy Goon), and it works for me every time. Including laughing at the lines I know are coming. But the delivery is so wonderfully delivered by each cast member I can't help but laugh.

Apologies if these have already been mentioned. There are three movies I really enjoy that are either overshadowed by others in its category or just never got/get a ton of love. 

1. Event Horizon - this movie has pretty much everything I enjoy in one movie and the cast is quite great.

2. Thank you for Smoking - Great cast, funny, and it came out right before I made the decision to move to Washington DC in 2006. A lot of good memories of my time spent there and I equate that movie as the start of my journey into the real world after college. 

3. Christmas in Connecticut - it gets overshadowed by White Christmas, Holiday Inn, and It’s a Wonderful Life, but this is probably my favorite Christmas movie. Also, it’s not just a relic of its time like a lot of older movies. There are aspects of the plot that could be placed in a script nowadays. 

A movie that I think could be considered perfect, and has been mentioned already, is Rocky. With that said, I wasn’t sure how Paulie didn’t get sick after taking a big chomp out of the half-cooked Turkey leg before he tossed it out the door.

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 2/5/2024 at 5:08 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Apologies if these have already been mentioned. There are three movies I really enjoy that are either overshadowed by others in its category or just never got/get a ton of love. 

1. Event Horizon - this movie has pretty much everything I enjoy in one movie and the cast is quite great.

2. Thank you for Smoking - Great cast, funny, and it came out right before I made the decision to move to Washington DC in 2006. A lot of good memories of my time spent there and I equate that movie as the start of my journey into the real world after college. 

3. Christmas in Connecticut - it gets overshadowed by White Christmas, Holiday Inn, and It’s a Wonderful Life, but this is probably my favorite Christmas movie. Also, it’s not just a relic of its time like a lot of older movies. There are aspects of the plot that could be placed in a script nowadays. 

A movie that I think could be considered perfect, and has been mentioned already, is Rocky. With that said, I wasn’t sure how Paulie didn’t get sick after taking a big chomp out of the half-cooked Turkey leg before he tossed it out the door.

Interesting picks! The Family Man and The Weather Man are pretty good Xmas winter movies!

On 2/5/2024 at 5:25 PM, troydivision1 said:

It's always hard when it comes to movies about a perfect one.
I can point to perfect casting / directing / scripts / scenes / etc...but to combine all of those into one piece of media...is...tough.
'There Will Be Blood' is usually my response.

It’s a great one. I do miss Daniel Day-Lewis 

IMG_7178.gif.0e257d1ab88811c4bf8babe14f7b741a.gif