• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Not a perfect movie but I liked it..." - where are these perfect movies?
10 10

258 posts in this topic

Every once in a while you will see a film released with people starting their reviews with "Not a perfect movie, but..."

Even some of the greatest comic book films (or any for that matter), in my opinion, have flaws. One of the greatest of the MCU films, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, has them. I just rewatched this recently and two jumped right out at me.

FURY CUTTING THROUGH AN SUV ROOF AND A STREET WITH A TINY LASER WITHIN SECONDS

The Winter Soldier has him cornered. Fury is turned upside down with major injuries. But not to worry: he has his trusty Scout Master pen laser ready to go into action. And while the Winter Soldier is less than a hundred feet away and charging towards him not only does he cut through the roof of his SUV. He slices through feet of tar and bedrock to safety. Oddly enough, the car roof cut is square while the road cut is circular. And if this laser was that powerful, why not point it at Winter Soldier and cut him in half? It was powerful enough to slice through feet of construction, rebar and all.

BELTWAY ATTACK OUT OF THIN AIR (also referred to as THE BATTLE AT WASHINGTON D.C.)

Battle of Washington, D.C.

For anyone that has ever travelled through or worked in the Washington D.C. area, you've experienced the pleasure of the Capital Beltway. Which we saw in this film Cap and team were taking Agent Stillwell to confess what he knew. And out of the blue the Winter Soldier appears on the car roof without even a quinnjet or other hint how he miraculously appeared to disrupt their plans. Yet there he was, perfectly placed to stop our heroes in their tracks.

I love this movie, from beginning to end (including the animated credits). But even I know enough to recognize imperfections that when you step back these things dawn on you. Which I try to avoid, as then I would spend more time picking apart a film than I would enjoying a live production of beloved characters.

So where are these 'perfect films' that we compare everything to their magnificent achievements and due to this nothing else can match such excellence? Benchmarks like these must be out there were the perfect movie set our expectations so high we have allowed that to disrupt sitting back and enjoying these stories while noting other films "...were not a perfect movie..."

Let's hear about such perfect films, and shine a light on such superbness. :popcorn:

29 minutes ago, csaag said:

I always thought "Toy Story" was a 'perfect film'.  Maybe movies about bringing adults back to their childhood are easier to pull off since it seems it's something we're so willing to indulge ourselves in.  I thought it was a movie that worked on all levels.  The CGI needs to be held to the era - they certainly didn't do human faces all that well but it didn't take me out of the story and maybe they realized it as they weren't shown all that much

You had me at 'perfection'. And maybe that nostalgia theme is what keeps us from picking a film apart. We long for such simplicity and celebration of our youth.

Though always count on some news site to point out something: IF BUZZ LIGHTYEAR DOESN'T THINK HE IS A TOY, WHY DOES HE GO RIGID WHEN KIDS ENTER THE ROOM?

Infamous Toy Story Plot Hole Involving Buzz Lightyear Finally Solved?

Just about anyone who has seen Toy Story more than once has wondered why Buzz Lightyear goes rigid when people are around if he doesn't truly believe he is a toy. Soul director, and Pixar's chief creative officer, Pete Docter, was recently asked about the Buzz plot hole, and his answer may surprise long-time fans who have always wanted the real answer about the character.

"We went through a lot of discussion on Toy Story, the first one, about like, 'If Buzz doesn't know he's a toy, why does he go rigid when a kid walks in the room?' We had a lot of explanations and talk about that, too. And in the end, nobody cared."

Pete Docter went on to say, "I think the short answer is you just have to kind of try to guess where the audience is going to find importance, or at least push their interest there." For Buzz Lightyear, Pixar just doesn't really seem to care about that specific plot hole and they really don't think anyone else should care either. "Our editor [for Soul], Kevin Nolting, on his big whiteboard in his office has 'logic' in a big X," producer Dana Murray says. Basically, stop thinking logically when you're watching a Pixar movie. "Stop going there," Murray reiterates.

Edited by Bosco685

16 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

For me.the movies that come closest to perfection are from Hollywood's Golden Age- Love Me Tonight, Trouble in Paradise, The Bride of Frankenstein, Public Enemy, I Am a Fugitive From a Chain.Gang, The Maltese.Falcon, Casablanca., Vertigo, the list goes on...

Newer.flicks in the Superhero genre that I feel are close to perfection are Donner's Superman, Raimi's.Spider-Man and. Spider-Man 2, The Dark Knight Trilogy, Infinity War, and the Snyder cut of Justice League.

Now that is one heck of a powerful list. :tink:

Even to this day Feige notes Spider-Man 2 as one of his favorites.

I mentioned this film not long ago when someone was looking for stuff to watch: Pan's Labyrinth. Imo a flawless film. 

I think for perfection, across all categories (actors, composition, score, editing, cinematography, -script, cultural impact / quotes etc) the two that always come to mind for me are the original Robocop and the first Rocky

I'm slow to name a 'perfect' movie released in the last 2 decades, not because they don't exist, but rather I think it takes time to really nail down the ones that deserve the title so I mostly will just let those simmer awhile longer (especially when you factor in cultural shifts. Many a good movies have become garbage just from cringe alone when revisited)

Great thread @Bosco685
Like others said, nothing is perfect but some are pretty darn close. 

Superhero genre: Donner Superman, Batman & Batman Returns, Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Infinity War,   Spiderverse and Logan. 

Everything else: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Empire Strikes Back, Jaws, Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, Alien/s, Night of the Living Dead, The Exorcist, The Great Escape, The Good the Bad and the Ugly.  

Some that are close to perfection : The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Once Upon a Time in the West, Godfather part 2, Predator, Die Hard, Terminator 2, Casablanca, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Some of the comic ones: Spider-Man 2, Logan, Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Dark Knight, Infinity War & Endgame

There're others for sure.  

7 hours ago, mec3437 said:

Some that are close to perfection : The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Once Upon a Time in the West, Godfather part 2, Predator, Die Hard, Terminator 2, Casablanca, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Some of the comic ones: Spider-Man 2, Logan, Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Dark Knight, Infinity War & Endgame

There're others for sure.  

Slipped that one in there.

tenor.gif.7d598aeb3a14c628aa09e0c73513e576.gif

:baiting:

Toy Story 2 (not the first one) at one point, was regarded as the best of the series and pretty close to what could be perceived as a perfect movie as it improved on the original.

Edited by Buzzetta

7 hours ago, adampasz said:

Some others for consideration...

Airplane!
All About Eve
Do The Right Thing
Citizen Kane
Frozen
School of Rock
The Third Man
This is Spinal Tap
Wrath of Khan

Good list.

Over the years Space Odyssey was held up as an incredible and under-appreciated film. But then as the unfamiliar gave it a go, more started picking apart the story flow or even the scenes meant to convey everyday life in space not conveying gravity correctly or movement of ships and people. But most consider it a masterpiece.

As much as I very much appreciate Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country conveys the reality of a human-driven Federation attempting to hold together an alliance at times even they did not want. Including engaging with a devastated Klingon Empire. To their face offering support and care: behind the scenes noting disgust at their lack of manners or even strong dislike due to past attacks and family tragedies. Those two films are always high on my Star Trek fan list.

As cliche as it might be... 

I think The Shawshank Redemption is a perfect movie from the -script, delivery, cinematography (that beginning sweeping overhead shot of the prison moving toward you contrasted with the overhead shot of the ending beach scene as it pulls away), the musical score, pacing, and editing. 

A few movies immediately came to mind that were not mentioned and whether or not they are perceived as 'perfect movies' is obviously debatable but perhaps they come to mind because they are near perfect or just that damn good. 

• Wall-E
  • City of God - That movie set in the favelas 
  • No Country for Old Men 
  • Forrest Gump
  • 12 Angry Men
  • Moana (Before that I would have said the Lion King)
  • Casablanca 
  • It's a Wonderful Life 
  • The Dark Knight 
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

40 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

As cliche as it might be... 

I think The Shawshank Redemption is a perfect movie from the --script, delivery, cinematography (that beginning sweeping overhead shot of the prison moving toward you contrasted with the overhead shot of the ending beach scene as it pulls away), the musical score, pacing, and editing. 

A few movies immediately came to mind that were not mentioned and whether or not they are perceived as 'perfect movies' is obviously debatable but perhaps they come to mind because they are near perfect or just that damn good. 

• Wall-E
  • City of God - That movie set in the favelas 
  • No Country for Old Men 
  • Forrest Gump
  • 12 Angry Men
  • Moana (Before that I would have said the Lion King)
  • Casablanca 
  • It's a Wonderful Life 
  • The Dark Knight 
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Super list.

I've rewatched the bold ones so many times, it should be a crime for not allowing other films a chance. Arrest me!

9 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Super list.

I've rewatched the bold ones so many times, it should be a crime for not allowing other films a chance. Arrest me!

Ha... I was getting some things together and was flip flopping on a movie to add when I heard the "dunk" sound notifying me of your response. 

For consideration.

Rocky is perhaps a perfect sports movie especially because he loses. 

I am also very partial to Wes Anderson movies (Life Aquatic, Grand Budapest, Rushmore, Moonrise Kingdom) but I know that is not everyone's cup of tea and might be my inner hipster breaking free.   They are not perfect movies though... but... damn good. 

Edited by Buzzetta