• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Not a perfect movie but I liked it..." - where are these perfect movies?
10 10

258 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2022 at 11:25 AM, F For Fake said:

"Perfect" is hard to nail down. To me, perfect means an expertly executed vision. So, a perfect horror movie would have different merits than a perfect drama, etc. It can be about craftsmanship, it can be about storytelling. Ideally, it's a combo of both. In my mind, a list of "perfect" movies would have to include:

2001: A Space Odyssey, Godfather I & II, Alien, Aliens, Lawrence of Arabia, Jaws, Tokyo Story, Ikiru, John Carpenter's The Thing, Citizen Kane, 8 1/2, Halloween, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Rear Window, Dawn of the Dead, Apocalypse Now (the final cut), Blade Runner (final cut, though I have a soft spot in my heart for the original VO version, due to watching it on tape so many times as a kid), Seven Samurai, Evil Dead 2, Singin in the Rain, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Drunken Master 2...you know, I have to stop, I could do this all day. 

Probably the most recent movie I'd add to the list is Mad Max Fury Road. Almost certainly the best pure movie of the last 10-15 years, it would go on that list as well. City of God would probably be there too.

Great list 

Mad Max Fury Road is a tour de force of filmmaking 

On 8/22/2022 at 11:30 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I love Saturday night fever and the Warriors but neither are perfect and that’s kinda why I love them 

The Warriors The Director's Cut is a street comic book come-to-life. I thoroughly enjoy watching that movie!

1878775477_Screenshot_20220823-0544262.thumb.png.538693429e1f5eb415ef8d26c4b1a694.png

On 8/22/2022 at 4:26 PM, Lpgk said:

I love BTF too, but have you seen Timecrimes by Nacho Vigalondo? To me, that's the best example of time travel in a movie. The story unfolds upon itself and the more you think about the plot, the more layers you unravel. 

Oh man, Timecrimes is so good. Makes a good triple feature with Triangle and Primer, if one is looking for low-budget, low-frills time travel flicks. Primer really tied my head in knots, and there's nothing more complex than a cardboard box used in the whole time travel process. 

On 8/22/2022 at 3:15 PM, Bosco685 said:

Goon (2011) to me is a solid hockey/sports character movie.

Don't know why. But I connect so much with the comedy and story they told with this film.

Sequel movie, not as much. Still fun. Nothing close to the first film.

I didn't even know Goon had a sequel. lol

On 8/22/2022 at 4:26 PM, Lpgk said:

I love BTF too, but have you seen Timecrimes by Nacho Vigalondo? To me, that's the best example of time travel in a movie. The story unfolds upon itself and the more you think about the plot, the more layers you unravel. 

I'll check it out, just looked and it's on HBOMax.

On 8/23/2022 at 7:13 PM, Pete Marino said:

I'll check it out, just looked and it's on HBOMax.

Is Timecrimes on HBOMax? I bought it years ago on standard DVD; I don't think there's a Blu Ray that was produced. 

Lol I waited for a thread for this, yet since not comics perhaps there is not to be one.

"Shotgun Wedding" starring Jennifer Lopez and Cheech Marin~ rated "R?"

I thought ah another movie where Lopez gets married. Saw it as a prescreen last Thursday the 19th Jan 2023, comes out on some Amazon the 27th.

Well she is old but not that much older than me, but it still felt out of place somehow, and even now I'm not sure why it was rated the way it was, guess I'm desensitized 😂

And Lenny Kravitz is in it, and well he tried hahaha. :sorry:

IMG_20230119_180658177.jpg

IMG_20230119_184358520.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

If there is a movie that is close to perfect...

Misery_(1990_film_poster).png.e66f957e108bf2bb888faa427f7d800c.png

...Misery is her name.

Fantastic casting, intense story, perfect soundtrack that forces your emotions to the highest heightened levels of fear and surprise, and a very relatable theme concerning the most extreme level of fandom.

9.5/10 for me. ^^

On 4/8/2023 at 7:19 AM, TupennyConan said:

Dracula.

King Kong.

Wizard of Oz.

Gone with the Wind.

Casablanca.

To Have and to Have Not.

Sound of Music.

Star Wars.

Road Warrior.

Good list.