• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Not a perfect movie but I liked it..." - where are these perfect movies?
10 10

258 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2022 at 11:02 AM, skypinkblu said:

I took my daughter to a revival in a theater when she was 5. As I'm sitting there with a bunch of tissues when the mother gets shot, she tells me (at the top of her lungs) ...MOMMY DON'T CRY, It's ONLY a Movie!"

Didn't really help...

Dumbo was worse, lol.

On 8/21/2022 at 11:04 AM, ashsaytr said:

Watch the 1st 15min of UP!

On 8/21/2022 at 11:05 AM, skypinkblu said:

and forget about Old Yeller, I couldn't even stay in the same room when my friends were playing it for their kids...

Come to think about it...Disney was weird...I had nightmares about those Spiders too. I think I should cancel my Disney Plus subscription;) 

ET however, was a favorite classic.

20200717_011158.jpg.93cdca951e8eba8fea138f7ab535e374.jpg

And don't forget 

"Where the Red Fern Grows." and

"My Girl." 

And speaking of tearjerkers, I'm a softie (I'll tear up over a stupid commercial), but a couple that will have me ugly crying are Ikiru and How Green Was My Valley.

Edited by F For Fake

On 8/22/2022 at 7:25 PM, F For Fake said:

"Perfect" is hard to nail down. To me, perfect means an expertly executed vision. So, a perfect horror movie would have different merits than a perfect drama, etc. It can be about craftsmanship, it can be about storytelling. Ideally, it's a combo of both. In my mind, a list of "perfect" movies would have to include:

2001: A Space Odyssey, Godfather I & II, Alien, Aliens, Lawrence of Arabia, Jaws, Tokyo Story, Ikiru, John Carpenter's The Thing, Citizen Kane, 8 1/2, Halloween, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Rear Window, Dawn of the Dead, Apocalypse Now (the final cut), Blade Runner (final cut, though I have a soft spot in my heart for the original VO version, due to watching it on tape so many times as a kid), Seven Samurai, Evil Dead 2, Singin in the Rain, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Drunken Master 2...you know, I have to stop, I could do this all day. 

Probably the most recent movie I'd add to the list is Mad Max Fury Road. Almost certainly the best pure movie of the last 10-15 years, it would go on that list as well. City of God would probably be there too.

I agree with 98% of your movie list being perfect. I just haven’t seen the other 2%. 

On 8/22/2022 at 12:54 PM, ashsaytr said:

Ikiru is great!

It really is. Still really touches my heart whenever I see it, a really profound movie.

On 8/22/2022 at 12:25 PM, F For Fake said:

"Perfect" is hard to nail down. To me, perfect means an expertly executed vision. So, a perfect horror movie would have different merits than a perfect drama, etc. It can be about craftsmanship, it can be about storytelling. Ideally, it's a combo of both. In my mind, a list of "perfect" movies would have to include:

2001: A Space Odyssey, Godfather I & II, Alien, Aliens, Lawrence of Arabia, Jaws, Tokyo Story, Ikiru, John Carpenter's The Thing, Citizen Kane, 8 1/2, Halloween, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Rear Window, Dawn of the Dead, Apocalypse Now (the final cut), Blade Runner (final cut, though I have a soft spot in my heart for the original VO version, due to watching it on tape so many times as a kid), Seven Samurai, Evil Dead 2, Singin in the Rain, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Drunken Master 2...you know, I have to stop, I could do this all day. 

Probably the most recent movie I'd add to the list is Mad Max Fury Road. Almost certainly the best pure movie of the last 10-15 years, it would go on that list as well. City of God would probably be there too.

Evil Dead 2 still makes me laugh out loud

On 8/22/2022 at 1:35 PM, The Meta said:

Evil Dead 2 still makes me laugh out loud

I have to have seen it a couple dozen times by now, and I still never get tired of it. I love the way the camera just takes off, VOOM, like it has a life of its own. It's a very smartly made, very stupid movie.

On 8/22/2022 at 1:36 PM, F For Fake said:

I have to have seen it a couple dozen times by now, and I still never get tired of it. I love the way the camera just takes off, VOOM, like it has a life of its own. It's a very smartly made, very stupid movie.

Bruce Campbell will always be in a league of his own

On 8/22/2022 at 1:39 PM, The Meta said:

Bruce Campbell will always be in a league of his own

I love Bruce's whole shtick, and I think the scene where he beats himself silly with his own hand, culminating in a full somersault, is one of the best pieces of physical comedy ever filmed. It's really next level great.

On 8/22/2022 at 9:09 AM, Pete Marino said:

I'm really surprised how little I've seen Back to the Future.  Maybe the best time travel movie ever, and executed as well as it could have been.

I love BTF too, but have you seen Timecrimes by Nacho Vigalondo? To me, that's the best example of time travel in a movie. The story unfolds upon itself and the more you think about the plot, the more layers you unravel.