• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics Coming Back with New Defects?
2 2

116 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Tafkap said:

Update:

My LCS owner informed me the second batch of my comics just arrived from CGC - with similar defects.

Now CGC wants "before" photos of which I have none.

It'll be telling if the word of LCS holds any weight; he does send quite a bit to them it seems.

If not I'll call CGC myself and beg.

One way or the other I'm going to have to get them all pressed and regraded.

OP - could you post full scans (front and back) of a couple of your books showing the grades they received?  Do you have any 9.6/9.8's with these crunches?

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

The ones he posted....

Star Wars #39  9.0

Star Wars #44  9.2

Legion of Super-Heroes #298  9.2

Got it - the reason I ask for pics is because I'd like to know if any of these crunches came back with higher grades.  If not, the damage had to happen prior to encapsulation (which seems to be the debate at the moment).  I don't want to see a 9.6/9.8 with a crunch like these...

1 hour ago, Sensei Ryan said:

Got it - the reason I ask for pics is because I'd like to know if any of these crunches came back with higher grades.  If not, the damage had to happen prior to encapsulation (which seems to be the debate at the moment).  I don't want to see a 9.6/9.8 with a crunch like these...

Just opened the second box. 9.6s with same defects

IMG_20210713_140355.jpg

IMG_20210713_140318.jpg

1 hour ago, Sensei Ryan said:

@BigLeagueCHEW

2 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

@kav

Different books, all 9.8s

Shaz.jpg

chew.jpg

ASMD.jpg

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

30 minutes ago, wombat said:

Yeah, post grading easy to tell right. But it gets a bad grade from the defects and then its a blame game. 

I dont see how 3 books in one submission that are 9.8s with dings like that can be explained as a grading slip up.

5 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

So I think its safe to say we have a case of pre grading damage and also post grading damage. That gives us the "What". Now we just have to figure out the Who and Why.

If I worked at CGC I would do an observation in the various departments to see how each employee is doing things.  Perhaps some inadvertent quirk is damaging books.  The apparent post damage seem to be all of the same type-a crushed corner.

Edited by kav

2 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

@wombat

OPs look pre grading damage, mine above are 9.8s ???

Could you post full scans of the books (the ones with the zoomed in damage) so we can see the whole picture?  Not questioning it, but it would be good to have on record (and you may have posted them on another thread IDK but damage like that makes the books non-9.8 which means QC was missing it entirely, ignoring it, or it became damaged in the case in transit a la SCS which may not be possible for some of those types of crunches).

Either way, it hurts and I'm sorry to see that :( 

9 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

@wombat

OPs look pre grading damage, mine above are 9.8s ???

I think the new slabs might allow for some comics to shift inside the case a lot more than before. Damage to the edges or corners could happen if there is a strong enough impact during shipping. This happened to me on a recent HA auction purchase. The book was scanned in the new CGC slab in high resolution. So when it arrived in the mail it was clear that the book had shifted in the case at some point during shipping and handling and had been damaged since the damage was not in the HA scan. There was a thread about this.

19 hours ago, solm4st3r said:

I think the new slabs might allow for some comics to shift inside the case a lot more than before. Damage to the edges or corners could happen if there is a strong enough impact during shipping. This happened to me on a recent HA auction purchase. The book was scanned in the new CGC slab in high resolution. So when it arrived in the mail it was clear that the book had shifted in the case at some point during shipping and handling and had been damaged since the damage was not in the HA scan. There was a thread about this.

The problem with my books, there was no damage to the shipping box.

The one with the white BC was in a group of 25, none of them had damage.

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

12 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

The problem with my books, there was no damage to the shipping box.

The one with the white BC was in a group of 25, non of them had damage.

Once again could we see a full scan of the slab(s) that is/are 9.8(s) but shows the damage (all 3 if you’re willing)? If so then we know it’s a qc problem. If not it’s hard to know for sure what the issue is (basically we need to see the book and the grade in one unedited or cropped scan clearly showing both the damage issue and the grade). We just need irrefutable proof, basically.

On 7/14/2021 at 12:20 AM, solm4st3r said:

If that was the case, his books would have all been graded at 9.6 -9.8.  The damage occured PRE-GRADING or possibly the box was dropped by a grader themselves.

Update:

So now it's been one week since I discovered the damage.  My LCS owner spoke to CGC on Monday, then followed up via email and phone.  And....nothing.  No word from CGC.

I'm thinking maybe I should speak to them myself?

Do they usually take their good time to respond to issues such as this?

It's funny in a way:  For 40 years I stored these comics perfectly; meticulously picked out the cherry copies and had them pressed to be all 9.8's and send them off to the premier comic book company.

And then they come back like garbage!  It's funny.  Very funny.  

Edited by Tafkap