• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CGC really give priority by tiers? Doesn't look that way to me.
2 2

235 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Fisionbomb said:

Not here to antagonize, just trying to offer some insight into the way things are.  Lower price in this case (Modern) doesn't mean lower tier.  "Higher tier" refers to their expedited service tiers, Economy isn't one of them, it's the way it is. Not satisfied? Take it all up with CGC and let us all know what they have to say about it.

I am posting on a CGC board, which is one form of providing CGC some input and discussing the issue with fellow customers.  And what makes you think I have not emailed CGC to make my thoughts known?  Not trying to ruffle your feathers, but you seem a little defensive of CGC.  They are big boys who can listen to customer complaints and work to do things better without getting upset.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

S/he wasn't defending CGC, they were simply giving you the facts.

If so I appreciate it. But where has CGC made those statements?  Looks like argument not reporting.

Edited by sfcityduck

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Are you asking 'where CGC has made statements' that they don't prioritize grading by age...?

I am asking where cgc has made statements that modern is an equal tier to economy, that it takes longer to grade economy, and that it is therefore justified to charge 50 percent less for modern than economy but give economy 40 percent plus slower service - e.g. the argument being made on this thread to support the status quo,

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

I am asking where cgc has made statements that modern is an equal tier to economy, that it takes longer to grade economy, and that it is therefore justified to charge 50 percent less for modern than economy but give economy 40 percent plus slower service - e.g. the argument being made on this thread to support the status quo,

On their own website:

image.thumb.png.a2e72d5700563c45c64eb19a890c8feb.png

10 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You need to read the above posts as you have lost the post of the conversation.  I know the present TAT disclosures and have quoted them in the very first thread.  The assertion has been made that it is harder to grade Economy books and it takes longer as a result.  CGC has not ever said this.  Nor has CGC ever said Modern, the cheapest tier and formerly lowest value tier is an equal tier to Economy to my knowledge.  Those are the assertions being made in arguments above, yet I do not recall CGC ever saying that.  If they have, I would appreciate a link.

Edited by sfcityduck

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

You need to read the above posts as you have lost the thread of the conversation.  I know the present TAT disclosures and have quoted them in the very first thread.  The assertion has been made that it is harder to grade Economy books and it takes longer as a result.  CGC has not ever said this.  Nor has CGC ever said Modern, the cheapest tier and formerly lowest value tier is an equal tier to Economy to my knowledge.  Those are the assertions being made in arguments above, yet I do not recall CGC ever saying that.  If they have, I would appreciate a link.

1. True or False: On average, more time and/or attention to detail must be taken when grading comic books that were printed 1975-earlier than Moderns.
  2. The tiers are literally valued the same, meaning that they are equal.
Edited by theCapraAegagrus

14 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

NWO said it in another thread, people have to  stop submitting books that have no business being graded.  But that’s not going to happen, so suck it up and be prepared to wait or pay the premium for fast track.

"Stop doing that, because I don't like it!"

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
  1. True or False: On average, more time and/or attention to detail must be taken when grading comic books that were printed 1975-earlier than Modern

FALSE.  A pre-1975 book is essentially the same structure as post-1975 newsprint books, and I do not believe it is easier to grade the differences from 9,2 to 9.8 than it is 3.0 to 5.0.

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

FALSE.  A pre-1975 book is essentially the same structure as post-1975 newsprint books, and I do not believe it is easier to grade the differences from 9,2 to 9.8 than it is 3.0 to 5.0.

This tells us everything that we need to know. (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

You had it right the first time.  The pricing shows that they are not equal.  And the values only became equal when?

No... Both tiers are valued up to $400. The difference being that they are split into 2 separate ages, meaning that they cost differently because of... I'll let you figure out the rest.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

This tells us everything that we need to know. (thumbsu

It shows we have a difference of opinion.  But, I am asking for where CGC states that Economy costs more because it is harder to grade Economy books.  Personally, I think the attention to detail required to grade minute differences to high end books takes a lot of time and effort.  I am curious to know CGC's view, as opposed to the opinion of the self-appointed defenders of CGC.  Put more bluntly, on this point I'd like evidence of what CGC's position is, not just opinion.  

Edited by sfcityduck

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

No... Both tiers are valued up to $400, making them functionally equal.

Again, you had it right the first time, before your self-sefving edit, the pricing is higher on Economy so they are not equal.  And, again the question you dodge:  When did Modern move to a $400 value cap?  It used to be a lower cap than Economy.  More evidence they have not been and are not equal.