• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest OA in existence

154 posts in this topic

On 7/15/2021 at 4:04 PM, MAR1979 said:

Lost in a California wildfire that claimed Len Wein's home back in 2009 along with complete 181 interiors. All well documented a dozen years ago. RIP Len Wein.

BTW - how is "Greatest" quantified?

Well, this answers my question but I wonder how much the OA of the cover would fetch for in today’s market if it wasn’t destroyed. hm

23 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I know there is a fake Action 1 original artwork image floating around.

It would have to have existed in the 1970s and have been on display at a museum.

On 7/25/2021 at 12:51 AM, drdroom said:

Most of these key covers under discussion aren't remotely the greatest comic OA by aesthetic standards (SS 4 & WF 29 excepted). My thoughts went immediately to whole stories: Red Nails, The Pact, Master Race, The Crushed Gardenia, Jennifer... just off the top of my head. 

“Greatest” OA in existence is too generic a word. Great could mean expensive, artistically rendered,  impactful or historically significant.

Often times with nostalgia, that is entirely impactful. Something you had as kid that impacted you, and now  as an adult, has an impact on you again… and perhaps only you, perhaps not! There are many comics I remember reading as a kid that impacted me, such as Thing #13. I doubt now anyone really cares about that particular issue at all, but because I remember that as one of the first 8 comics I ever read, it’s high on my list.

There are a lot of artistically great pieces of comic art that are bordering on genius, but have very little value compared to other, less visually appealing pieces that have sold.

Its pretty easy to pick out historically important pieces, but as collectors, some place higher significance on one piece vs. another. Again, no right or wrong answer.

Bottom line is there are way too many variables in art (and from collector to collector) to ever have any concise and “correct” evaluation, but it’s fun to talk about!

Edited by Timely
Typo

On 7/18/2021 at 7:48 PM, zhamlau said:

It would have to have existed in the 1970s and have been on display at a museum.

I’ve asked all the top art dealers and collectors  I could get a hold of and every one of them “confirmed” that the oa to action 1 cover is not known to exist. If it did , and especially if it was in a museum at some point, there’d be some confirmation from someone (even an image). Apparently none exist. 

On 7/25/2021 at 10:49 AM, G.A.tor said:

I’ve asked all the top art dealers and collectors  I could get a hold of and every one of them “confirmed” that the oa to action 1 cover is not known to exist. If it did , and especially if it was in a museum at some point, there’d be some confirmation from someone (even an image). Apparently none exist. 

I’ve been dealing art for 45 years and I’ve never heard of the existence of the original art for Action #1

On 7/25/2021 at 10:21 AM, artdealer said:

You didn’t ask me. 
I've been around longer than any of those guys. 

Apparently I don’t know you lol

but happy to make your acquaintance 

On 7/17/2021 at 3:07 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Can anyone tell what is the highest price paid (to date) for an OA cover ?

Isn't Frazetta's Egyptian Queen for Eerie 23 the current big boy?  Granted it's a painting but it was for a cover (albeit a comic magazine cover).

https://www.finebooksmagazine.com/news/frazettas-egyptian-queen-sets-54-million-world-record-heritage-auctions

FWIW, I think the "average person" knowing about an artist or not has no real bearing on actual value.  There are hundreds of fine artists that the average person has never heard of who have works that have sold for many millions.  The average person has no idea who Vermeer, Newman, Girardet, Canalleto, Mucha, and many others are.  But their work is still worth vast sums of money.

It's those that are knowledgable about the art form that recognize and assess the importance and value of a given work of art.  For original comic art, a few of those people are posting in this thread.  

The average person isn't the one spending vast sums of money on art.  2c

On 7/25/2021 at 2:26 PM, Randall Dowling said:

FWIW, I think the "average person" knowing about an artist or not has no real bearing on actual value. …

It's those that are knowledgable about the art form that recognize and assess the importance and value of a given work of art.  For original comic art, a few of those people are posting in this thread.  

Or, those who have a stake in keeping the prices high.

The art market is a know basket case filled with opportunism, hucksters, shilling and fraud.

So, what is a piece’s “actual value” in a poisoned well?

On 7/25/2021 at 6:10 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Or, those who have a stake in keeping the prices high.

The art market is a know basket case filled with opportunism, hucksters, shilling and fraud.

So, what is a piece’s “actual value” in a poisoned well?

The whole economy is a poisoned sham wrapped in a hall of mirrors. I still remember my grandma confused and worried in 1986 when I told her I bought a comic book for $220. “Value” is a funny thing.  

On 7/25/2021 at 8:14 PM, tth2 said:

$17.46

Which is how much I'd have if I got a nickel for every time you post about shilling.

I didn’t, although I mentioned it in passing. I followed up on the comments by others, most of whom were directing their ire at dealers.

Those must be pretty unusual nickels to add up to 17 dollars and 46 cents.