• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Predicament involving GA purchase and cautionary tale about "shaken comic syndrome"
3 3

73 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, BriD. said:

This book is actually in the current comiclink auction

Interesting.  I had thought the thread might turn up something like this.  I have not gotten around to checking out the CL auction yet.  Thanks for the info.

Last word to me is, Sharon knew I was interested in having the book back, and was going to speak with Steve when he was back from an east coast buying trip.  That was June 12, nothing since, despite two follow ups.

It must have been bounced against a couch or something to get the book back in place.  

This actually is the worst of the scenarios I considered might happen.  Didn't expect it to be in public though.  Pretty disillusioned by this outcome.

Edited by Heronext

14 minutes ago, Bird said:

soooooo, what was purchase price off the site? hm

$3150.  You can see it still on the site.  Now, are they going to return my money.  Actually concerned about this.

Edited by Heronext

1 hour ago, fifties said:

You blew it.  When you find anything near your own grail desirability, grab it, and "don't sweat the small stuff". You could have taken a scan or two, sent it to them, and asked for a partial refund.  That's what I do when a book is received not quite as described, but it's too late for Monday Morning Quarterbacking now.

Secondly, I can't see how a book could shift inside a CGC holder, and this is from someone who has bought many slabbed books, only to "jailbreak" every single one of them.  FYI, in case you weren't aware, once opening the hard plastic case, the comic book is enclosed in a tight plastic sleeve, sealed on all sides.  There's simply no way a book could shift even a millimeter.

My suggestion at this point would be to call them, and arrange for either the return of the book, or return of the check they sent you, because now they have both and you have neither.

Having read through this thread I’m inclined to believe no one is to blame for the unfortunate transaction and everyone behaved respectfully toward each other in spite of the stress.  Yes, there was probably miscommunication and the book does appear to have received damage in transit exactly as described.  

BTW, I doubt there was a tight inner sleeve as those went away when Barex ceased production with the new labels and holders.  The best suggestion would’ve simply been for the purchaser to return the book for a refund, That would’ve allowed Stephen to contest handling with the post office or the CGC since their encapsulation failed to secure the book in transit.  The CGC would probably give Stephen a discount on future submissions or other considerations.

For whatever it’s worth, sending the book back for examination while bartering for a discount wouldn’t have been fair to Stephen as it probably wasn’t his packing that allowed the damage to occur.in the first place.  That said, the communication could’ve probably been a bit more prompt, but Stephen and Sharon have always tried to do right by customers based on my experience..

Edited by Cat-Man_America

4 minutes ago, Heronext said:

Thanks, but I will not be doing that.  A warning to potential bidders - there's a good chance the cover is detached inside the holder.

It's not detached, it's loose.

Didn't you see the front and back staple tears on the Worldwide scan?  It's hanging on by a thread.

Most likely why it's a 3.5.

15 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Having read through this thread I’m inclined to believe no one is to blame for the unfortunate transaction and everyone behaved respectfully toward each other in spite of the stress.  Yes, there was probably miscommunication and the book does appear to have received damage in transit exactly as described.  

BTW, I doubt there was a tight inner sleeve as those went away when Barex ceased production with the new labels and holders.  The best suggestion would’ve simply been for the purchaser to return the book for a refund, That would’ve allowed Stephen to contest handling with the post office or the CGC since their encapsulation failed to secure the book in transit.  The CGC would probably give Stephen a discount on future submissions or other considerations.

For whatever it’s worth, sending the book back for examination while bartering for a discount wouldn’t have been fair to Stephen as it probably wasn’t his packing that allowed the damage to occur.in the first place.  That said, the communication could’ve probably been a bit more prompt, but Stephen and Sharon have always tried to do right by customers based on my experience..

Thanks.  I've only been waiting for them to let me know how they preferred to handle this, but no word since June 12th.  I paid for this mid-May, and they currently have my money.

17 minutes ago, Heronext said:

Thanks, but I will not be doing that.  A caution to potential bidders - there's a good chance the cover is detached inside the holder.

I'll keep my opinion of how Worldwide handled this to myself.

Did you look over the book before buying it? Was the defect there prior to purchase? 

4 minutes ago, Terry_JSA said:

Did you look over the book before buying it? Was the defect there prior to purchase? 

Should be clear in my original post.  It was an online purchase.  I looked over the front cover scan provided, it arrived damaged / with a shifted body relative to the cover, inside the case.

Edited by Heronext

15 minutes ago, Heronext said:

Should be clear in my original post.  It was an online purchase.  I looked over the front cover scan provided, it arrived damaged / with a shifted body relative to the cover, inside the case.

I did see them. I just think it’s odd a staple from a book becomes detached while in a CGC case. Personally I would’ve just cashed the check when you originally received it and waited for another copy to come along. 

4 minutes ago, Terry_JSA said:

I did see them. I just think it’s odd a staple from a book becomes detached while in a CGC case. Personally I would’ve just cashed the check when you originally received it and waited for another copy to come along. 

In hindsight, should've done that.  They don't come along every day though

On 7/16/2021 at 9:53 PM, Dr. Love said:

Short Brooklyn answer:  nope.  But the money of course surely is.  But what is this as per agreement you refer to?  Did they agree to take the check back?  Did they tell you they would send you back the book if you did that?  Sounds more like a series of unilateral moves on your part.  

If your aim at this point is to get your money, to be honest, I wouldn't have done this thread.  Like the sending of the check back, it's not really applying leverage on the Ritters.  if anything it just confirms to them you're a former good client turned troublesome, casting doubt on the book publicly, shade on their reputation.  Ritter is a good guy, but I do think if he has gotten annoyed with you, there could be some more foot dragging on the reimbursement.  

In all seriousness, have you tried a sincere apology for how you handled things?  

Coming from Dr. Love, how can I not take this to heart?  Have edited one comment based on your feedback.  Disagree with some of the rest.

I'm glad I did the thread because I found the answer I was looking for.  Thanks to those who helped.

I'll not get into who's owed an apology for their handling.  What's not in dispute is that I am owed money.  Happy to give some leeway if there are circumstances preventing this from being closed out expeditiously.  I'll try to resolve with them directly. 

Checking my emails, there were unilateral actions taken on both sides, there were some working assumptions, things were cordial.

I've purchased some 80 136 books from them over the years; 53 this year.

Edited by Heronext
fixed # of all-time purchases from seller