• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 9.6 coming to auction
7 7

704 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2021 at 8:58 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

i predicted 15 years ago SPidey is going to be as an important pop culture icon as Superman and Batman

$ 4 million minimum hammer price, but could well be higher

did eric roberts sell his 9.6 copy for 1 million 2016? or around then?

15 years ago?  When he was already at least as much of an icon as they were if not more?  Pretty bold! 

On 8/27/2021 at 12:01 PM, G.A.tor said:

a good percent of my IG sales this year have been from crypto guys and a couple of sport card guys...not as many long time comic folks are buying books at these levels...at least not folks that have historically bought from me

interesting and thanks for the info. Short term for you, other dealers and auction houses and the current market is great. But do the new guys have the ability to hold in a possible future bear market. That is the key here, is it a temporary market jolt or a long term trend. I would not wanna get caught in a possible price bubble on say a 3 or 4 million dollar at least 4 copies book unless I was a TCBC who does not care if it goes up or down Should be interesting to see, Action #1 at 9.0  would be much safer at that price level, I agree, the current King of Comics with D27 very close behind..

On 8/27/2021 at 12:15 PM, Mmehdy said:

interesting and thanks for the info. Short term for you, other dealers and auction houses and the current market is great. But do the new guys have the ability to hold in a possible future bear market. That is the key here, is it a temporary market jolt or a long term trend. I would not wanna get caught in a possible price bubble on say a 3 or 4 million dollar at least 4 copies book unless I was a TCBC who does not care if it goes up or down Should be interesting to see, Action #1 at 9.0  would be much safer at that price level, I agree, the current King of Comics with D27 very close behind..

Crypto has very volatile pricing and I doubt the crypto people investing in comics are much concerned with a bear market, at least not for many years. This is not food and shelter money.

A slowly decreasing asset is much better to sleep on than crypto (if it's time to get out of crypto).

On 8/27/2021 at 12:11 PM, G.A.tor said:

One of these potential guys is relatively new to the comic market. He’s bought a lot of silver age keys and is from the crypto side. He views it as an investment to park a chunk of Profit from crypto sales (he gave me permission to post this) 

when I told him he probably could have bought this book with a 2 mil offer last year, he astutely reminded me “this is not last year”. I just wanted him to have some perspective. 

This is very interesting. 

On 8/27/2021 at 12:22 PM, G.A.tor said:

that's true, but action 1 is still the king in the comic book world

This, because it will always have first-mover status, book that started it all position, within the hobby. 

(Not that G.A.tor needed the elaboration, but spelling it out for any newer casual, perusers)

On 8/27/2021 at 9:08 PM, G.A.tor said:

Why?

It’s just that the buyer comes from investing into crypto currency. I totally get it’s volatile and comics are a much safer way to invest, but also at the same time, it’s nice knowing what types of people are involved in the market. 

On 8/28/2021 at 12:26 AM, G.A.tor said:
On 8/27/2021 at 8:46 AM, tth2 said:

In that case, why not $100m?

I will take the under

The point is that it's allegedly all manipulation, so why mess around with chump change?  If the buyer and seller are the same person and it's a costless transaction, and this is all being done to set an artificially high new benchmark that can be used to inflate the prices of other copies that'll be dumped on unsuspecting dupes, then why not go really big? 

On 8/27/2021 at 11:36 AM, valiantman said:

@G.A.tor do the perspective buyers with that level of available funds discount the book because it's Silver Age and significantly more common (in all grades) than Action #1 and DC #27, or do they look at the census for all three and consider "Top 5 known" without really caring about the ages?

I've always been fascinated by the differences between age, condition, and price. 

It seems like it would have to be like thinking about those charts we saw in grade school, where you try to understand Price/Phase based on the balance of age/temperature and condition/pressure:

Phase diagram - Labster Theory

:ohnoez:

Marvel Spotlight #5 in 9.8 (top 4 known) sold in June for $264K, and that's Bronze Age,  so the latter?  (shrug)

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/27/2021 at 10:47 PM, tth2 said:

The point is that it's allegedly all manipulation, so why mess around with chump change?  If the buyer and seller are the same person and it's a costless transaction, and this is all being done to set an artificially high new benchmark that can be used to inflate the prices of other copies that'll be dumped on unsuspecting dupes, then why not go really big? 

I know this was meant as "tongue in cheek", but some folks believe this manipulation is more influential than I think it is. While there may be bits of truth in that premise, for it to ring true to the degree that many assume, it would require a level of stupidity in the market at large that is greater than what I think actually exists. People who have a million to spend on a comic typically aren't stupid and don't base their decisions on what dress Jody is wearing to the party. One thing I was unaware of... there are zero 9.8's of AF15, even after almost 25 years of slabbing. Not many SA Marvels fit that bill. I did also notice that ASM 28 has zero copies at 9.8. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 8/28/2021 at 10:33 PM, jimjum12 said:

One thing I was unaware of... there are zero 9.8's of AF15, even after almost 25 years of slabbing. Not many SA Marvels fit that bill.

It's been a while since I looked at the Census, but as I recall the only Marvel SA mega-keys that exist in 9.8 are the Curator X-Men 1, Pacific Coast X-Men 1 (after several tries) and ASM 1 (to the extent ASM 1 is considered a mega-key).

And no, DD 1 is not a mega-key.