• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"CGC Submission Fee Adjustment"?
3 3

123 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2021 at 1:19 PM, Count D. Monet said:

They've had this policy for 20 years.

They did not really ENFORCE this until recently and it was only on certain cards. They started hiring staff a few years ago to solely concentrate on upcharging people. Before it was on egregious examples like Jordan rcs and things of that ilk. I didn't get upcharges for years and years and now get them in almost every order. I am sure the new CGC investors are all over this as they have some familiarity with PSA and card grading. 

On 7/20/2021 at 12:40 PM, carcrawfordfan said:

They did not really ENFORCE this until recently and it was only on certain cards. They started hiring staff a few years ago to solely concentrate on upcharging people. Before it was on egregious examples like Jordan rcs and things of that ilk. I didn't get upcharges for years and years and now get them in almost every order. I am sure the new CGC investors are all over this as they have some familiarity with PSA and card grading. 

I think so.  The CGC investors getting their fingers in the mix already.  I expect this to be a more normal occurrence since it means more money coming in. 

On 7/20/2021 at 2:34 PM, gregwynn said:

Find it interesting. Wonder if they have an Ahole Grader.... My last Standard Submission i had an ASM 101 Grade 9.6....They didn't bump it to Express or Walkthru price.

Now THAT is interesting... that's an $8 - $10K book, right?  (After grading)

Edited by Rhymenoceros

On 7/20/2021 at 3:25 PM, Tnexus said:

Out of curiosity, did you have a Pre-screen on it? I could see them using that as a justification to upcharge. If you believe it's a 9.8, then the value is potentially greater.

No pre-screen. I was told this:

"Based on the condition of the book and the projected grade the graders declared the book to be undervalued. Here at CGC we do not buy, sell, or trade books , but if you submit a book that is undervalued in the grader's view ,  we will bump the book up to the appropriate tier of service

The grades will be available once the submission has been finalized and shipped, this submission has been graded and is now being encapsulated in our encapsulation room."

On 7/20/2021 at 1:44 PM, Count D. Monet said:

Why?

Because a few posts back it was theorized that since members of CGC’s new ownership are intimately familiar with PSA’s SOP that they might possibly be applying the same methodology to how CGC handles these situations. 

On 7/20/2021 at 3:59 PM, Rhymenoceros said:

Now THAT is interesting... that's an $8 - $10K book, right?  (After grading)

Not sure that high but definitely several times higher than the standard 1k limit. 

Are we all assuming that they're recording everything instantly? Most likely, your book may be through most of the process before the status has even been recorded. If your book has already been graded, then they know what the approximate slabbed value would be historically. Then it makes logical sense to see and understand if your fee needs to be adjusted or not. (And you'll probably instantly see why once you see your grade.)

Edited by sckao