• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Action #1 CGC 8.0 and New Detective Comics #27 CGC 8.5 in the Census
4 4

511 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2021 at 11:02 AM, sfcityduck said:

According to Valiantman's amazing site, a restored Action 1 6.5 and a restored D27 7.0 went on the census between August 17 and August 24.  

Now I'm hearing there is a new blue Action 1.  Maybe a second 0.5 ? Anyone have pics of those 2 Blue  0.5's ? 

On 9/1/2021 at 3:14 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Now I'm hearing there is a new blue Action 1.  Maybe a second 0.5 ? Anyone have pics of those 2 Blue  0.5's ? 

I believe there are more copies of Action 1 and D27 that haven't made it into a CGC slab than have, maybe by a factor of 2, so the existence of additional copies doesn't surprise me at all.  But, I wonder if they are being slabbed now because the owner wants to absorb the cost now before the comics increase much more in value (and the fees increase) or because those issues are coming to market.  For the comics in the title of this thread, it seems the owner just wanted to get slabbing out of the way (perhaps to save money or perhaps to make it easier on heirs down the road). Demographics are going to accelerate the sell-off of long held (since the 60s) collections, it is just a question of when do we hit the tipping point.

On 9/1/2021 at 5:35 PM, buttock said:

It's better over here on the couch with the nerds.

I prefer intellectually enlighteneneded,especialitly in the appreciation of things cool and nice to look at and fun to read and stuff but it IS a mouthful...

And such a fine couch...easy on the ahem 'buttocks' ahhahahahaha golly I'm funny ahahahah! lollol :nyah:

Butt,cereal-it's a fine feeling to be around,even if it's cyberspace-folk that GET the things I dig and just don't yes dear and drift away :foryou:

And thanks for all for being so welcoming over the years

Edited by porcupine48

On 9/2/2021 at 6:06 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I use Halloween as a purge time for some of the extra books I get  when I purchase lots or collections of books.  What most people refer to as reader copies and drek become what I pass out to the trick or treat knockers.  (As well as one of the local churches Trunk or Treat. ) 

Isn't it irritating to have to wash all the egg off your house every year?

On 9/1/2021 at 6:26 PM, porcupine48 said:

Butt,cereal-it's a fine feeling to be around,even if it's cyberspace-folk that GET the things I dig and just don't yes dear and drift away

Some of us GET you, Jimmer.  Who wouldn't get a dude with same name as my fave paisley rock singer, Jimmer Podrasky.  

On 9/1/2021 at 7:22 PM, tth2 said:

Full size candy bars were like an insurance policy.  Small price to pay.  

On 9/1/2021 at 7:22 PM, tth2 said:

I live in Florida.  Half the time even if someone was willing to waste the eggs  having them in your car will just about hard boil them and even at night as soon as they hit the brick they get scrambled and the wild rabbits who live around the yard will eat them. (shrug)

Besides over the years several kids and parents have realized what I give out and they either become regulars or I do not see them again. So it all works out in the end.

I previously mentioned the practice of offering minimums to secure consignments as evidence of how far the pendulum can swing towards the consignor (in the highest end of the art world, at least.) He's a timely example.

https://news.artnet.com/market/sothebys-macklowe-consignment-news-2007044

On 9/9/2021 at 11:47 PM, rob_react said:

I previously mentioned the practice of offering minimums to secure consignments as evidence of how far the pendulum can swing towards the consignor (in the highest end of the art world, at least.) He's a timely example.

I was talking recently to the recently-appointed head of Christie's Asian and World Art section and how I was surprised at her appointment because she's an investment banker (although she did get her BA in Art). 

She explained to me that actually a lot of the management at the big auction houses these days are bankers, and the reason is that the business now is all about lending and financial risk management, which at the end of the day is what all these guarantees and advances boil down to. This is what the auction houses compete on now.      

On 9/9/2021 at 7:09 PM, tth2 said:

I was talking recently to the recently-appointed head of Christie's Asian and World Art section and how I was surprised at her appointment because she's an investment banker (although she did get her BA in Art). 

She explained to me that actually a lot of the management at the big auction houses these days are bankers, and the reason is that the business now is all about lending and financial risk management, which at the end of the day is what all these guarantees and advances boil down to. This is what the auction houses compete on now.      

Heidi Yang rules !

On 10/6/2021 at 4:18 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Coming soon

Capture.thumb.JPG.1315e55c89c22e4f6af27e06e1e2b5af.JPG

Restored ? 

On 10/6/2021 at 6:53 PM, Dark Knight said:

Same copy? hm

Screenshot_20211002-102818_Facebook.jpg

Yep. He's covering up the writing on purpose obviously.  no one in the biz holds a book like that.  Damn he got friggin old 

Edited by Chicago Boy

On 10/6/2021 at 4:07 PM, SuperBird said:

Cool, but I already have Star Trek Megos.

It's a Vincent Megos

On 10/6/2021 at 4:07 PM, SuperBird said:
On 10/6/2021 at 2:18 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Capture.thumb.JPG.1315e55c89c22e4f6af27e06e1e2b5af.JPG

Cool, but I already have Star Trek Megos.

On 9/9/2021 at 8:47 AM, rob_react said:

To each their own, but I wouldn't pay even $60 to $80 for this piece of so-called artwork, let alone their estimate of $60M to $80M:  :p

Mark Rothko, <i>No. 7</i> (1951). Photo courtesy of Sotheby's.

Then again, I guess collectors in the fine art and abstract art world probably thinks we are just as crazy to pay the kind of prices that we do for our funny books like that Supes 1 which Vinnie is holding.  (shrug)  :takeit: