• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Now I am officially sad!!!!

45 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2021 at 5:22 PM, shadroch said:

I hope you realize your debt doesn't die with you, but gets passed on to your estate and heirs.  

Your debt does not get passed to your heirs, that's a common myth that terrible creditors use to try to scare money out of distraught people who had family members die with large amounts of debt. 

My wife and my estate, however.........well duh. I was joking anyway..... mostly

once you pay off your debt you can use that money to buy comics. Think about that one for a minute if you are paying $500 or $1000/month in credit card crapola, you could buy a decent book every month and feel great about it after you pay off your debt!

On 7/27/2021 at 5:51 PM, Bird said:

once you pay off your debt you can use that money to buy comics. Think about that one for a minute if you are paying $500 or $1000/month in credit card crapola, you could buy a decent book every month and feel great about it after you pay off your debt!

I dunno man, depending on your interest rates and looking at the collectibles market right now, comics would have been a better investment than paying off your debt hahaha

On 7/28/2021 at 7:03 AM, Nic8612 said:

"Man, that guy died with no debt. How cool!" - said no one, ever

I'm trying to die with as much debt as possible. Going to take my last breath swiping a credit card for something dumb

It becomes a huge hassle for your executor, and your bank. It can even crack up families who were expecting funds there (super-common to see, ain't nothing tight like family... until one of them dies and there's a hint of cash involved). It's disgusting. 

But still, someone has to clean it all up. No one wants to help with any debts left hanging, but they all want their share of the pie that the deceased SURELY left behind. He was suddenly everyone's favourite grampa /uncle/brother/cousin/whatever. Just can I get in cash now, please? 

Working for a bank, I saw so many families irrevocably fractured and torn apart, all over the lure of a little money (it didn't take much). It's given me a much better idea what to expect when my own loved ones go, and to be ready for it. 

On 7/27/2021 at 6:40 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

It becomes a huge hassle for your executor, and your bank. It can even crack up families who were expecting funds there (super-common to see, ain't nothing tight like family... until one of them dies and there's a hint of cash involved). It's disgusting. 

But still, someone has to clean it all up. No one wants to help with any debts left hanging, but they all want their share of the pie that the deceased SURELY left behind. He was suddenly everyone's favourite grampa /uncle/brother/cousin/whatever. Just can I get in cash now, please? 

Working for a bank, I saw so many families irrevocably fractured and torn apart, all over the lure of a little money (it didn't take much). It's given me a much better idea what to expect when my own loved ones go, and to be ready for it. 

That's why I plan on leaving nothing but low expectations

On 7/27/2021 at 2:22 PM, shadroch said:

I hope you realize your debt doesn't die with you, but gets passed on to your estate and heirs.  

I’ll make sure I pass after 7 years and 1 day when the credit report gets a clean slate :banana:

On 7/27/2021 at 2:33 PM, Nic8612 said:

Your debt does not get passed to your heirs, that's a common myth that terrible creditors use to try to scare money out of distraught people who had family members die with large amounts of debt. 

My wife and my estate, however.........well duh. I was joking anyway..... mostly

Your debts get carried over in that after you die, your creditors have first call on your estate. That is not a myth.

If you have an estate worth $200,000 and owe $100,000, you heirs will get$100,000.

If your estate is worth $100,000 and you owe $200,000, your heirs get zero.  They don't owe the difference but they will have gotten nothing.  If you re legally married, your spouse is responsible for your debts.

That's not a legacy I want to leave.

On 7/27/2021 at 7:42 PM, shadroch said:

Your debts get carried over in that after you die, your creditors have first call on your estate. That is not a myth.

If you have an estate worth $200,000 and owe $100,000, you heirs will get$100,000.

If your estate is worth $100,000 and you owe $200,000, your heirs get zero.  They don't owe the difference but they will have gotten nothing.  If you re legally married, your spouse is responsible for your debts.

That's not a legacy I want to leave.

Exactly what I just said, but much more pretentious

On 7/27/2021 at 3:40 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I'm going thru this right now.  My Aunt died with no will, her brother took it upon himself to handle the estate that exceeded two million dollars. My Uncle has yet to sell any of the stocks in the estate, give anyone an accounting and has totally abandoned his fiduciary duties.  The house was loaded with antiques she had tens of thousands  of dollars of amazing jewelry, most bought in the 1960s when gold was $40 an ounce.  The last time I saw him I told him if the roles were reversed, my mother would never do this to his children, but he has no shame.

On 7/28/2021 at 9:51 AM, shadroch said:

I'm going thru this right now.  My Aunt died with no will, her brother took it upon himself to handle the estate that exceeded two million dollars. My Uncle has yet to sell any of the stocks in the estate, give anyone an accounting and has totally abandoned his fiduciary duties.  The house was loaded with antiques she had tens of thousands  of dollars of amazing jewelry, most bought in the 1960s when gold was $40 an ounce.  The last time I saw him I told him if the roles were reversed, my mother would never do this to his children, but he has no shame.

Sorry to hear it, Shad. But after seeing it so much in 'such close families' I've just come to the conclusion that at least one of your loved ones will not even wait till you're in the ground before they see how they can begin profiting off you, to the detriments off other loved ones, in all likelihood. It's not some sudden snap in character, it's a side they've kept hidden from you their whole life, this IS who they are. They value money over you. 

Just my opinion, but I saw it so regularly, it was predictable, and no one listened to me in advance. 'We're different'. Turns out they weren't. 

On 7/27/2021 at 5:09 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Sorry to hear it, Shad. But after seeing it so much in 'such close families' I've just come to the conclusion that at least one of your loved ones will not even wait till you're in the ground before they see how they can begin profiting off you, to the detriments off other loved ones, in all likelihood. It's not some sudden snap in character, it's a side they've kept hidden from you their whole life, this IS who they are. They value money over you. 

Just my opinion, but I saw it so regularly, it was predictable, and no one listened to me in advance. 'We're different'. Turns out they weren't. 

I'm slowly downsizing. My plan is to leave little except money in the bank and a car or two. Maybe a couple of income producing properties. Frankly, most of my family is better off than I am. None of them need much of anything.

Never been happier to be an only child, married to another only child, and have no kids of our own

Most likely will out live our parents and besides my comics, who've I've entrusted to friends, everything will dissipate into the ether when we are gone, including my body.

No way I'm spending money to be interred into the ground with a headstone for people who don't know who I was

On 7/28/2021 at 10:28 AM, shadroch said:

I'm slowly downsizing. My plan is to leave little except money in the bank and a car or two. Maybe a couple of income producing properties. Frankly, most of my family is better off than I am. None of them need much of anything.

As to what I said before, hell, sometimes you don't have to wait till death. Any money can tear a family apart. Here's a fun example. Wouldn't you at least give your daughter $500 and congratulate her on her entrenpeurial nature, to teach her to hone that skill in the future? Whether she paid for that packet or not, without her there'd be no money for anyone. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9820311/amp/Doritos-hands-Queensland-Teenage-girl-20-000-rare-chip-sent-eBay-auction-frenzy.html

On 7/28/2021 at 5:03 AM, Nic8612 said:

"Man, that guy died with no debt. How cool!" - said no one, ever

I'm trying to die with as much debt as possible. Going to take my last breath swiping a credit card for something dumb

Like health insurance?

On 7/27/2021 at 3:51 PM, Bird said:

Yep, pay off your debt and buy 1 comic a month and go back into debt....

On 7/27/2021 at 10:14 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

As to what I said before, hell, sometimes you don't have to wait till death. Any money can tear a family apart. Here's a fun example. Wouldn't you at least give your daughter $500 and congratulate her on her entrenpeurial nature, to teach her to hone that skill in the future? Whether she paid for that packet or not, without her there'd be no money for anyone. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9820311/amp/Doritos-hands-Queensland-Teenage-girl-20-000-rare-chip-sent-eBay-auction-frenzy.html

AAHAHAHAHA.  Man, that is just sad and wrong. 

• The teen said her father thinks cash should be his cause he 'bought the packet'

On 7/27/2021 at 5:32 PM, James J Johnson said:

God, yes, they're being sig series will help. (thumbsu

Moved an 8.0 hulk 181 with a Thomas and romita sig for 12.5k.   Had it it listed for 4 months.