• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Name for People Who Still Collect DC
7 7

133 posts in this topic

On 2/1/2022 at 4:37 PM, MAR1979 said:

Picked this raw in the early 90's. Back then in my youth had enough for no more than $40-50 in total purchases at show/con then that was it, might as well go home.  I decided to go with this over books like ASM50 in similar grade. DC's were much more rare in high grade and Marvel in higher grades seemed to be everywhere.  I figured how many more chances would i get at 1968 Batgirl cover in high grade. I was wrong the correct answer was it does not matter how many there are the smart money purchases Marvel.  Once again with Supply and Demand takes two to tango.

Throughout the 90's I repeated that mistake over and over and over. So yeah perhaps I'm bitter but when I see folks say DC is undervalued I know they are wrong. DC is appropriately valued for the subset of Comics demand it has compared to Marvel

Note: much of my Silver Age is un-scanned with nearly all DC still being raw. Raw most of my DC will remain. Other than Keys and Batman at current CGC rates it pays to submit the Silver Age Marvel I do have.

JLA61.thumb.jpg.739cc2efd1fa4e61daa8cdf3a0c5e467.jpg

You picked a non-key over a classic cover/first appearance of a major Spider-Man/Daredevil villain and you’re blaming the publisher?

On 2/5/2022 at 7:41 AM, JTLarsen said:

You picked a non-key over a classic cover/first appearance of a major Spider-Man/Daredevil villain and you’re blaming the publisher?

Huh??! How am I blaming the publisher? Its a comment on the Comic market and that DC is not undervalued. DC and Marvel to best of my knowledge have zero concern with the value of their Silver age back issues.

The memories are old and I was very young, it could have been #69 as I recall it was a Kingpin 12 cent cover and obviously no idea if it would graded same as the JLA? Still even a standard run 1967-1972 ASM would have been a wiser choice than a 1968 JLA, even if the ASM was 9.2 or 9.4 vs 9.6.   Most major Marvel character tiles non-key issues from 1968-1970 also would have been a better expenditure than the 1968 JLA. Which brings us to:

My only point is for folks not to fall into the trap of thinking DC high-grade "scarcity" equates to being undervalued. DC is appropriately valued for its demand, which is significantly lower than Marvel.

P.S. At least when I moved to Comic Art most of what I picked up early on from 1999-2002 was 70's Marvel. I figured correctly that the DC stuff would stay lower in price and when the Marvel stuff jumped I did pickup a decent amount of DC. Now all 60', 70's Marvel art is sky-high and still rising and much of the DC is doing the same, at least for "name-brand" characters or artists.  80's stuff is now becoming insane as well.

For me luckily the lessons learned stupidly buying DC books in the 1990's allowed for intelligent choices with Comic Art as that decade ended.

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/11/2022 at 3:29 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I started with Harvey and Gold Key, then moved up to DC.  Didn't read a Marvel until 1968.  I got hooked on Spiderman in 1972.  And while Marvel is a better investment, I still enjoy picking up cheap DC back issues.  However, the main difference i see is that DC has realistic covers and stories.  Things that could actually happen, while Marvel covers and stories are just unbelievably ridiculous fantasy...as these DC examples will prove:

I rest my case.  DCs are much more believable than Marvels...:whatthe:   :insane:  :eyeroll: 

Hey, no teenage angst with DC. Just real stories.

On 2/12/2022 at 1:15 PM, innocuous said:

Hey, no teenage angst with DC. Just real stories.

Sometimes you didn't know where it was a romance book or a SH comic. Pepper Happy and Tony, Warren Jean and Cyclops, Betty, MJ & Gwen with Peter, Hulk Bruce and Betty.

and my favourite was heroines who continually strained because obviously women are weaker and fainted - that one was straight out of 1941