• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating Golden Pete for Probation list
6 6

343 posts in this topic

I hate to do this, but I nominate @Golden Pete(Peter Fu) for the Probation list. (This one is a long one, so bear with me).

Summary:

Golden Pete purchased 26 CGC Signature Series books from me for a total of $1626.00 from a big sale I had here: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/488500-cgc-signature-series-books-some-rare-and-impossible-signatures-closed/#comments

1) He made a payment of $907 for the first shipment of 18 slabs (plus $20 for shipping). I shipped 15 books, as that is the maximum I could send safely. He was fine with that because he was purchasing more anyway. Of the 15 books in that shipment, 14 were purchased by him and 1 was a freebie for purchasing so many (Xin #1 CGC SS 9.8). He still owes $719 for the remaining 12 books.

2) The other issue is a little more complicated: I believe he has a book that I shipped to him accidentally, but he denies receiving it.

3) He also accused me of sending him books that had mold—9 of the 15 books, in fact—which I took very seriously. I offered him a refund for any books he was unhappy with. He then went silent and has not responded to any of my messages since June 15, but was last on-line on August 1st .

Details:

I started a big sales thread on April 23, 2021. On May 13, Golden Pete made his first offer to purchase 11 slabbed books for less than the asking price, plus an agreement that he would pay only $20 shipping for all books purchased. I reluctantly took the offer, as I have been paying down a rather large debt and really need the money.

From May 14 through May 17, Golden Pete made additional offers for 7 more books, which I accepted. On May 18, he paid $927 (including $20 for shipping) for 18 books (see amounts below, with books paid for in blue).

I started looking for a suitable box to ship the books in, as this was going to weigh a ton and I didn’t want them to get damaged. On May 22 I messaged Golden Pete to let him know I could only find a box big enough for 15 slabs. He said that was fine with that, as he was going to purchase more.

On May 26 I shipped 15 books to him, one of which was the freebie SS book Xin #1 CGC 9.8 signed by Eric Ko. So, he was sent 14 purchased and 1 freebie out of 18 paid for.

From May 19 through June 1 he bought an additional 8 books from me, for a total of 26 SS slabs purchased, plus the free one to bring it to 27 slabbed books in total.

It has been about 45 days, and he has not made payment for the remaining books, nor has he acknowledged my messages of June 15, June 16, July 8, July 15, or July 26.

Here is a list of the books I sold to Golden Pete. The amounts in blue are the ones that he paid for (18). Titles in red are the ones I know for sure I sent to him in the first shipment (14+1). Titles in green are those I still have in my possession (13).

Book

Owed

Paid

Daredevil 190 7.0 

$          38.00

$      38.00

Justice League #2 9.8

$          38.00

$      38.00

Marvel Age 107 Clive Barker 

$          95.00

$      95.00

Spectacular Spiderman #2  

$          30.00

$      30.00

Universe #1 9.6 

$          47.00

$      47.00

Spawn 18 

$          39.00

$      39.00

Gravel #1 

$          29.00

$      29.00

Wolverine #90 

$          57.00

$      57.00

X-men 159

$          59.00

$      59.00

Captain Carrot #2

$          58.00

$      58.00

Daredevil #159 

$          45.00

$      45.00

Ultimate X-Men #24 SS CGC 9.6

$          25.00

$      25.00

Wildcats #2 SS CGC 9.8 Travis Charest

$          29.00

$      29.00

Seven Soldiers Frankenstein 9.8 Doug Mahnke

$          29.00

$      29.00

Young Indiana Jones Chronicles #2

$          65.00

$      65.00

Devil's Due Mix Tap #1 

$          75.00

$      75.00

Ultimates #5 SS CGC 9.6 Mark Millar

$          54.00

$      54.00

Secret Invasion #1 CGC 9.8 Leonard Kirk

$          95.00

$      95.00

Web of Spiderman #1 9.4 Fingeroth Vess

$        175.00

Hero Initiative: Mike Wieringo #1

$        250.00

Elektra Assassin #7 SS CGC 9.8 

$          83.00

Darkstalkers #5 SS CGC 9.4

$          35.00

JLA Classified #10 

$          35.00

Decimation: House of M - The Day After #1

$          34.00

Singularity 7 #1 

$          44.00

American Wasteland #1 9.4 Andrew Mangum

$          63.00

Xin #1 CGC 9.8

$0.00   

SHIPPING

$     20.00

$ 20.00

Totals

$ 1,646.00

$ 927.00

The fact that I sent 15 books was confirmed in a message from him below:

Golden Pete Replied: June 8

Hi Alex,

Yes, I received the 14 (out of the 18 books form first order) and thanks for the extra one!

I apologize for response delay as I'm out of town and hard to get internet, but before I headed out I checked out the books and they look fine except for that most of them have some sort of white fungus/mold growth on the inner cgc case. Have you noticed this on your other cases? I took some pictures very fast before I headed out so some maybe harder to see in the images provided than in real life. 

As I was preparing the 2nd shipment, I realized I still had 13 books I needed to send him, when the number should have been 12. So, I asked him to send me a list of the books he received from the first shipment so I could figure out which book I had accidentally sent to him. He said he would provide the list of the 15 books I sent to him on June 15.

Replied: June 15

I will have the list to you either later today once I get situated or by tomorrow

To this date he has neither paid the remaining amount nor provided a list of what I sent him. 

I know I sent 15 books out to him (which he confirms) out of a total of 27 (free one included). That means I should have 12 books left to send him. However, I have 13 still in my possession (listed in Green). Which means I sent a book to him by mistake. I also happen to be missing a book. Added to that, he has disappeared and not sent a list of what he received, nor paid the remainder, or responded to my messages, leading me to believe he might have an extra book. I also asked some of my other buyers if they got a different book by mistake, but all the books were accounted for.

Can I prove he has the missing book 100% - no. Am I an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for losing it – yes. I feel quite stupid that I did this. It has cost me a lot of money I really need, but ultimately I am hoping to find out where it is and get it back if he has it.

I should also mention that the missing book in question is a CGC Signature Series book of Wizard Ace Edition: Avengers #4 graded 9.8 and signed by Stan Lee. All I ask from Pete is for a list of the 15 books I sent to him so I can be sure. As well as the remaining payment. 

As for the “mold”, I took this accusation quite seriously. Please see the following thread for the discussion I brought up in the Restoration forum. These books are all Moderns and slabbed roughly from 2004-2015 and are kept in a climate-controlled environment. While I am not an expert in mold, you can be the judge of this yourself. https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/493961-what-are-your-thoughts-on-this-white-stuff/

I also offered to refund any books he was unhappy with.

There has been no communication since June 15th.

Alex

Being unhappy with some of the books doesn't mean he isn't responsible for the rest of them. And you offered a refund if he was unhappy. Fairly cut and dry for me. I do have one question that doesn't necessarily matter much, but were the white spots visible in the pictures you posted and do the remaining books also have them? 

On 8/3/2021 at 5:54 PM, wombat said:

I do have one question that doesn't necessarily matter much, but were the white spots visible in the pictures you posted and do the remaining books also have them? 

I was curious about this as well, so I went back and looked at one example. 

You could see the white marks in the initial thread, the Pete should have known what he was buying. 

Screenshot_20210803-205554.png

Screenshot_20210803-205543.png

On 8/3/2021 at 9:15 AM, AlexH said:

I hate to do this, but I nominate @Golden Pete(Peter Fu) for the Probation list.

It has been about 45 days, and he has not made payment for the remaining books, nor has he acknowledged my messages of June 15, June 16, July 8, July 15, or July 26.

Golden Pete Replied: June 15

I will have the list to you either later today once I get situated or by tomorrow

To this date he has neither paid the remaining amount nor provided a list of what I sent him. 

Golden Pete last posted in the forum on June 15th (the same day he sent his last reply to you).

However......he has definitely been visiting the forum much more recently......so he is obviously just ignoring the situation.

1194285727_GoldenPete.thumb.jpg.f5e00ea2a8534daa263251ec162419bd.jpg

No dog in this race - but a bit confused?

He's paid for 18 and you sent 15?

You have 12 left, and he has already paid for 3 of them.

So you are asking for PL unless he pays for the outstanding 9 books?

If he doesn't pay, what happens to the other 3 he's already paid for?

It might help, if you clarify this please. Thanks.

Or Golden Pete could just pay his bill :idea:

On 8/3/2021 at 9:19 PM, Beige said:

I think that's the gist of it, but Golden Pete has stopped replying, which has grinded everything to a halt.  To me it seems most likely that he stopped responding because he mistakenly got a book that's more valuable than the ones he was supposed to receive (@AlexH would need to clarify if this is the case regarding values).

Golden Pete said on June 15th that he would provide a list of the books that he did receive.......then he went dark on that same day, even though he's obviously still logging in and checking the forums (as recently as August 1st).

I know I wouldn't send any additional books until Golden Pete responded and sent the list he promised.

And if he doesn't reply to explain what's going on, and doesn't pay for the additional books he claimed.....then my vote would be to add him to the list.

Edited by Domo Arigato

Really sorry to hear this. I bought from the same thread and AlexH did an amazing job with the thread, communication, packaging, and love the books! 

Hope this all gets resolved for you. 

On 8/3/2021 at 9:19 PM, Beige said:

No dog in this fight either but I think the problem may be that the missing book (Avengers 4 Wizard Ace ss Stan Lee 9.8) may be thought of as more valuable than the ones the seller is still holding.

Also agree with others that that is not mold. I don't know what it is but I have had those (and was quite concerned) white spots on solid black books before and it went away when I got them reholdered.  I’m guessing it’s an inner well issue that only is super obvious against dark colors. 

On 8/3/2021 at 10:19 PM, Beige said:

So, there is a method to my madness. I just didn't want to further confuse what I did with the first 15 books. I ended up sending 15 books that were close to the value of what he paid including a book he had not paid for yet to make up the difference. So...

May 18th - 1st payment for 18 books.

May 26 - 15 books shipped

During that week he purchased several more. 

Packaging: I have boxes that can hold up to 3 CGC books. Each book is in its own bubble envelope. 3 fit nicely. 

I have attached a picture of 21 of the books which I packed up as he purchased. This was prior to May 26th. 

I eventually found a sizable box to put the books into safely. I didn't feel comfortable trying to ship more than 15 as it was already really heavy. I also realized that I could only fit 15 books in that bigger box. So I PM'd Pete to make sure he was ok with me sending 15 books. He had no issue with this as he was still buying books anyway.

To counter the price difference (paid vs. sent), I sent him a book that he purchased but not paid for yet: Web of Spiderman #1 9.4 $175. So if you go back up to the top and add all the sent books (in red) you will see the total of those books was $808. 

One more thing (I hope you are still with me). The 15th book I thought I sent him was supposed to be the Marvel Age 107 Clive Barker for $95.00

This would have given the value of the books I sent closer to what he paid for:

- Pete paid $907

- I thought I shipped books worth $903 

This is also likely the whole cause of my senior moment. 

I hope I've made sense of this. I did it this way because I trusted him to pay for the other books. I had no reason to doubt he would back out of the deal. 

Alex

7.jpg

Edited by AlexH

On 8/6/2021 at 9:19 PM, AlexH said:

Well it’s been over 72 hours and no contact. Please add him to the Probation list. 

Thanks to everyone who put in a good word for me here. I really appreciate the kind words. 

Really sorry to hear this.