• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulp sales discussion thread
6 6

369 posts in this topic

On 10/23/2023 at 9:44 AM, Jack Linguini said:

Pulp GGA MAM fans.

Travelling to San Francisco this weekend for a birthday party. Hoping to find some bookstores that carry pulps and
Mens Adventure Mags. Does anyone have recommendations for bookstores and comic stores to visit ?
Not planning to get a car so just looking for stores in SF and Oakland area.

I picked this as the best thread to post this question in. hope the board don't mind.

JL

https://www.kayobooks.com/

Make sure to contact the store first, they're open eccentric hours.

Which reminds me, I need to contact them, since I'm going to be in SF this weekend as well visiting my sister.

On 10/23/2023 at 10:54 AM, OtherEric said:

https://www.kayobooks.com/

Make sure to contact the store first, they're open eccentric hours.

Which reminds me, I need to contact them, since I'm going to be in SF this weekend as well visiting my sister.

So. Made it to Berkeley Comic show that weekend. Did actually find a few Pulps and some DC war comics.
I'll post some pics in the appropriate forum(s)
Kayo is moving through the end of the year. I will check them out next time I visit SF

I'd post the ones I'm looking at, but I'm just hoping no one else is looking at them anyways lol

Not that I can ever afford any HA books.  :flipbait:

I'm definitely curious to see what the waters are like this time around, as the pulps are bound to come back to Earth sooner or later.  Maybe.

All right, I'll pick some I like.  Lots of great Chandler Black Mask in there, but this one I've missed out on a couple times and would love to have.  Easily the one I'd like most in the entire auction.

BlackMask1935-01coverFredCraft(HA).thumb.jpg.296dafb4c30692499792d1ad5048c978.jpg

I'll qualify this and say the earlier printing of the cover is a Bolles I'd love to get

BreezyStories1944-04coverBolles(HA).thumb.jpg.2cffc2397d5f38c32dc704e098ebc495.jpg

I'm not into heroes, but I do like heroines.  How's this for a heroine and a smashing design.

DetectiveStoryMagazine1933-06-25cover.thumb.jpg.d20468ee6195e53a97130f81a64411e6.jpg

Three more I like

DetectiveFictionWeekly1939-06-10coverWatson(HA).thumb.jpg.77a8a87f57aae9b6ad167f923b280a4a.jpgThrillingAdventures1941-09coverBelarski.thumb.jpg.161ad6e77f6a9255e87e99408087e4ba.jpg

PopularDetective1935-11cover.thumb.jpg.0350c986524f20986154c0756b8b0731.jpg

Then there's this one, too, a curiosity.  I believe this line was all reprinted covers and likely recycled fiction as well (my guess on a date is c.1938).  The funny thing is I'm not sure where the original printing is (not Paris Nights to my knowledge were almost all of the other covers come from, and if it is Paris Nights it's the only issue missing from Galactic Central's index for the period it could have come from).

GayLifeStoriesc_1938.ConsolidatedcoverGreiner.thumb.jpg.200d19ad7e19ff67109c84fd3d5f0128.jpg 

Edited by Darwination

Yeah, I noticed the Popular Detective did very well. It seems like those might be a little scarcer than I might imagine. It's not really a title I chase, though I wish I had been, as this kind of opened me up to the great covers.  The asian swordswoman did spectacularly well which shows taste on a couple collector's part as well as fat wallets that I'd prefer weren't in muh pulps. The hanging skeleton cover, too, I think is fantastic (as well as a good Bergey):

lf.jpg.c831f9936dc2c0dc0b74cb9d6ba0c5f0.jpg

Also the Detective Story have done very well lately.  It seems weird I've seen so many copies of some of the iconic issues. Earlier eras are very hard to find.

The 600+ FFM blows my mind :jawdrop:  Also the really high prices for Amazing Stories??  I'm not really a Planet Stories guy, though I do consider many of the covers classic, and I found myself wishing I'd picked up more in the past just because of these prices. Same with other late era Fiction House like Lariat/Wings/Jungle Stories.  But then I checked myself with the thought that I'm a collector and not a speculator, so the prices don't matter OUTSIDE OF ME EVER AFFORDING PULPS AGAIN :kidaround:

The old timers with full runs of SF pulps bought at a dollar or two apiece are sitting pretty though, for real.  Methinks some collectors have caught the bug and haven't figured out what titles or eras are common.  Or maybe they just see the high grade and pounce. Once again, I'm gobsmacked.

I was admiring the All-Story Monahan octopus cover and was happy to see it do well even if I thought there were a couple of others that might do better than they did.  Maybe the wonders and subtle covers of All-Story and Argosy won't play to the newcomers.

I skipped the Saunders Complete Detective when I posted the ones I like in the auction because it's so well known, but I understand why it's iconic.  I don't think I ever would, but if I did shell out for a nice copy, I don't think I could live with a stamp in the skin tones.  I'd rather have more imperfections elsewhere than stamps or stains in skin tones. 

The Detective Trails has a "total spine split" - what does that even mean? Detached cover?  I believe it is very scarce, but I'm still surprised at the price as the cover doesn't really appeal to me.

The "Marvel" books have always done well but might do even better with the comics crowd coming in.  It sure seems like I've seen a lot of copies of some of them, so demand must be high to command the prices.

There were still at least a bit of reasonable prices in there.  In particular there was a Pep that never ever pops up that went for under 150.  That sucker likely would have gotten much more on eBay which is weird, but likely the girlie collectors weren't tuned in.

It was fun to watch some of it, but I didn't place a single bid.  It makes me feel like I've sat down at the wrong poker table, as I can barely afford the ante :D

Edited by Darwination