• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Promises Collection Dagar #15 9.6 with rusty staples?
1 1

38 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2021 at 1:18 PM, ttecwaf said:

It looks like there is rust on the lower staple on the Promise Dagar #15 grade 9.6.  While the book at first glance looks great I thought rusty staples prevented a grade that high.  Just curious.  Thanks. 

5F581AA0-6532-4BB9-883B-157ECDD1039B.jpeg

I’m hoping one of our financially comfortable retiree detectives will spring for the graders notes and see what they say… probably nothing as this was probably just a hasty swing and a miss.

On 8/25/2021 at 7:06 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

That's not rust. It's chocolate cake icing.

... are you sure it's not just the crust of the biscuit ... or perhaps, the apostrophe ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/25/2021 at 1:18 PM, ttecwaf said:

It looks like there is rust on the lower staple on the Promise Dagar #15 grade 9.6.  While the book at first glance looks great I thought rusty staples prevented a grade that high.  Just curious.  Thanks. 

It's a manufacturing defect :preach: I promise you that :devil:

On 8/25/2021 at 3:18 PM, ttecwaf said:

Naw, as reputations go this only comes up to the level of tarnish. ;)

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Emoji added (sarcasm subtlety removal)

I've seen plenty of CGC slabs with very slight (to even complete on 1 staple) staple rust grade as high as a 9.8.

I don't agree with CGC and their grading practices prevent me from buying 9.8s without good photos, but this seems deliberate rather than an error by CGC.

If you own some 9.6-9.8s from either major grading company I bet you'd be surprised at a lot of them taking a closer look.

Also, I'm pretty uncertain on whether the bottom portion you circled is rust or some other form of discoloration.

Edited by CK-1

I saw a 9.something book where the staples were completely rusted out and still oxidizing. This occurred after the book was graded and was a result of poor storage in a safe that induced condensation inside of the holder.

Maybe CGC's and/or Heritage's safes are faulty and causing this rust? Lord knows the grades already show an inclination towards ineptness. What if this type of staple rust is starting to happen on all of the books in the collection? Can you imagine how damaging rust on every one of the books in this collection would be?

I, for one, could never recommend that anyone bid on any of these books until there is a sufficient explanation.