It appears that WATA and Heritage are colluding to pump up the graded videogame market. What are the implications for OA?
3 3

157 posts in this topic

I don’t think there’s much of a relation between the two. Sure, you can pump up that one if a kind piece, but it’s not widespread. It only really affects the one piece and may slightly affect similar pieces. There is no grading company to manipulate and you can’t keep pumping out the same piece 50 times a year like you can a mass market item like games and comics. I’m not worried.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2021 at 8:36 AM, Timely said:

I don’t think there’s much of a relation between the two.

Hilarious; I feel for you bro.

Questions for Jim Halperin that will never* be answered:

  • Would you provide publicly the complete list of items you and close family/friend relations have bought through/from Heritage?
  • Would you identify and publicly disclose any and all Terms and Conditions differences as a purchaser you and close family/friend relations have had that are not Heritage public boilerplate?
  • Would you provide publicly the complete list of items you and close family/friend relations have consigned to/through Heritage?
  • Would you identify and publicly disclose any and all Terms and Conditions differences as a consignor you and close family/friend relations have had that are not Heritage public boilerplate?

Are there more than I've listed above? Probably. Feel free to add them to this thread :) 

 

*Prove me wrong Jim...I am waiting, but not holding my breath.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2021 at 9:05 AM, batman_fan said:

Everyone knows the Cabal meets annually to set OA prices for the year.

This is getting bad.  Daily articles do not look good. New York Times is now involved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2021 at 8:42 AM, vodou said:

Hilarious; I feel for you bro.

Questions for Jim Halperin that will never* be answered:

  • Would you provide publicly the complete list of items you and close family/friend relations have bought through/from Heritage?
  • Would you identify and publicly disclose any and all Terms and Conditions differences as a purchaser you and close family/friend relations have had that are not Heritage public boilerplate?
  • Would you provide publicly the complete list of items you and close family/friend relations have consigned to/through Heritage?
  • Would you identify and publicly disclose any and all Terms and Conditions differences as a consignor you and close family/friend relations have had that are not Heritage public boilerplate?

Are there more than I've listed above? Probably. Feel free to add them to this thread :) 

 

*Prove me wrong Jim...I am waiting, but not holding my breath.

NYT reporter asking similar questions in his latest article.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2021 at 9:34 AM, vodou said:

I'm surprised this took so long to get posted here. For once lol I decided it wouldn't be me.

I also think everyone should put in the fifty-five minutes asap, I predict the lawyers will get it removed from everywhere in short order.

 

On 9/6/2021 at 9:34 AM, vodou said:

I'm surprised this took so long to get posted here. For once lol I decided it wouldn't be me.

I also think everyone should put in the fifty-five minutes asap, I predict the lawyers will get it removed from everywhere in short order.

It's actually blown up, so it's pretty hard to hide now.    Multiple places and people are all over this issue now.   If they try to hide it, it's only going to get worse because the spotlight is already on them. 

https://sethabramson.substack.com/p/proof-responds-to-wata-co-founder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2021 at 9:55 AM, Wolverinex said:

 

It's actually blown up, so it's pretty hard to hide now.    Multiple places and people are all over this issue now.   If they try to hide it, it's only going to get worse because the spotlight is already on them. 

https://sethabramson.substack.com/p/proof-responds-to-wata-co-founder

Everyone had a good thing going. Why be greedy and ruin it along with everyone's reputation.  Can that hobby be saved ? Other names will come out I would assume....

Edited by Chicago Boy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2021 at 11:01 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Everyone had a good thing going. Why be greedy and ruin it along with everyone's reputation.  Can that hobby be saved ? Other names will come out I would assume....

It will be interesting to see what happens... I think a correction will happen  (ie A lot of key books dropped 30% or so) in the last comiclink sales but eventually, we'll get through this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2021 at 7:26 AM, Chicago Boy said:

NYT reporter asking similar questions in his latest article.  

can you please link the nyt article? you keep saying this but i dont see any article about this. some reporters on substack have substantial audiences. but that's quite a different thing than the nyt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2021 at 10:37 AM, Taylor G said:

Rivers in Egypt.

 

I’m not saying shill bidding does not happen. I’m saying OA are one-of-a-kind pieces that are not graded, and subjected to those type of condition manipulations. It is infinitely harder to influence widespread market manipulation on the OA market  in this regard. Again, not impossible, just infinitely harder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2021 at 10:13 AM, Timely said:

I’m not saying shill bidding does not happen. I’m saying OA are one-of-a-kind pieces that are not graded, and subjected to those type of condition manipulations. It is infinitely harder to influence widespread market manipulation on the OA market  in this regard. Again, not impossible, just infinitely harder.

That's true, the grading nonsense thankfully doesn't apply. But all the other market manipulation techniques described are available--hyping up record sales, CREATING record sales, shilling in general, buying your own piece (which represents the values of a category you literally hold stock in) from your own auction house at a record price (but with a special discount even?)... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There will be very few, if any, ramifications from this. Everyone wants to believe that what they bought was the product of legitimate supply and demand valuation instead of market manipulation. Dealers can hold steady as they have priced their profit into presumed sales based on purchases at a certain price. And, they seem to have sufficient resources not to cut their prices. How else does one explain the huge pile of unsold art which sits for years? So, when the noise dies down, people get back on the merry- go-round, like junkies in need of a fix. The solution? Cap your purchase price for specific pieces, come hell or high water, and shift your gaze elsewhere. You’ll need it if you are buying a new car in the short run. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3