• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,141 posts in this topic

On 9/25/2021 at 9:00 PM, PovertyRow said:

Last week I had my first experience selling TO Mycomicshop. That is, not consigning but asking for their offer to buy outright. I emailed a description of the books (two Voldy slabs and 1 CGC slab) I wanted to sell them and they got back to me in a day with an offer I considered quite fair. I accepted the offer, packaged the books and mailed them the dimensions/weight of the package. I was quickly emailed a link to print out of a UPS shipping label based on the weight/dimensions I sent, so no cost for shipping/insurance. 

They received the books from UPS on Tues 9/21. Now here is the kicker. On Thurs 9/23 I got an email saying a check was being mailed to me and today, Sat 9/25, I found their check for $1650.00 in my mailbox!

No muss. No fuss. Excellent communication. I called a couple of times with questions and also just to insure UPS had actually delivered the package to the right place. Everyone I spoke to was remarkably friendly and quick to answer. Could I have gotten more selling them on eBay? Yes, but as I had mentioned a while back here I do not like PayPal or eBay for selling. I know many folks have had no issues but I just do not feel comfortable with the attitude eBay/PayPal seems to have towards sellers. 

I may look into consigning with them in the future but there is also something quite appealing about the rapidity of just selling outright. Yes the money is less but their offer was more than I expected. If you want cash quickly selling to them is a 100% hassle free option! 

They mail me cheques for my consignments as payment because I hate PayPal too

On 9/25/2021 at 9:00 PM, PovertyRow said:

Last week I had my first experience selling TO Mycomicshop. That is, not consigning but asking for their offer to buy outright. I emailed a description of the books (two Voldy slabs and 1 CGC slab) I wanted to sell them and they got back to me in a day with an offer I considered quite fair. I accepted the offer, packaged the books and mailed them the dimensions/weight of the package. I was quickly emailed a link to print out of a UPS shipping label based on the weight/dimensions I sent, so no cost for shipping/insurance. 

They received the books from UPS on Tues 9/21. Now here is the kicker. On Thurs 9/23 I got an email saying a check was being mailed to me and today, Sat 9/25, I found their check for $1650.00 in my mailbox!

No muss. No fuss. Excellent communication. I called a couple of times with questions and also just to insure UPS had actually delivered the package to the right place. Everyone I spoke to was remarkably friendly and quick to answer. Could I have gotten more selling them on eBay? Yes, but as I had mentioned a while back here I do not like PayPal or eBay for selling. I know many folks have had no issues but I just do not feel comfortable with the attitude eBay/PayPal seems to have towards sellers. 

I may look into consigning with them in the future but there is also something quite appealing about the rapidity of just selling outright. Yes the money is less but their offer was more than I expected. If you want cash quickly selling to them is a 100% hassle free option! 

Nothing wrong with selling directly to them but to be honest we sold a bunch of our books within a week or two.  If you price decent stuff at market it'll you'll sell quite a bit quickly.

On 9/26/2021 at 8:55 AM, thehumantorch said:

Nothing wrong with selling directly to them but to be honest we sold a bunch of our books within a week or two.  If you price decent stuff at market it'll you'll sell quite a bit quickly.

Do you mean by consigning to them? Because I am considering that option as well for other books.

On 9/25/2021 at 11:00 PM, PovertyRow said:

I've sold directly to them many times as well. Sometimes their offer price is more than fair, and occasionally above current market, making the decision very easy to accept the offer. However, there are times that their best offer amounts are so low it's comical. Like getting an offer for $60 for a book that might have recent sales in the thousands. Those moments can be a little vexing but when the offer is right MCS is extremely easy to direct transact with. 

On 9/26/2021 at 11:11 AM, Ryan. said:

I've sold directly to them many times as well. Sometimes their offer price is more than fair, and occasionally above current market, making the decision very easy to accept the offer. However, there are times that their best offer amounts are so low it's comical. Like getting an offer for $60 for a book that might have recent sales in the thousands. Those moments can be a little vexing but when the offer is right MCS is extremely easy to direct transact with. 

Well this is my first time dealing with them and, as I said, their offer was good enough for me to take. Thankfully I do know the market and so can easily spot a lowball deal. Curious if you called them about that $60 offer. Something may have just slipped through the cracks. I have spoken with Ceza, Jon, Shane and Ben during this transaction and every one of them were incredibly easy to talk with.

On 9/26/2021 at 11:51 AM, PovertyRow said:

Do you mean by consigning to them? Because I am considering that option as well for other books.

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear.  mycomicshop sold about 50% of our consignment books within two weeks of listing them and we would have sold more if I was getting email notifications of offers.  It was very quick and successful.

As an update we've sold a couple more of our books and have now sold 14 of the 17 books we sent in.

On 9/26/2021 at 2:31 PM, PovertyRow said:

Well this is my first time dealing with them and, as I said, their offer was good enough for me to take. Thankfully I do know the market and so can easily spot a lowball deal. Curious if you called them about that $60 offer. Something may have just slipped through the cracks. I have spoken with Ceza, Jon, Shane and Ben during this transaction and every one of them were incredibly easy to talk with.

No, it's not an isolated incident. It happens regularly enough to be a trend, though almost always with rare books, such as tough Golden Age. My impression is that when there isn't a ton of high visibility market data their buyers just take a shot in the dark. 

On 9/26/2021 at 12:30 PM, Ryan. said:

No, it's not an isolated incident. It happens regularly enough to be a trend, though almost always with rare books, such as tough Golden Age. My impression is that when there isn't a ton of high visibility market data their buyers just take a shot in the dark. 

I don’t know specifics, but while the rest of us price out books based on the ENTIRE MARKET, they almost certainly prioritize their own internal data over more generalized data, so where their sample size is smaller for their own sales (possibly golden age), they might be farther off from the market at large.  

If you have seven copies of a  $100 book in stock and your records indicate you''ve sold one a year for the last ten years, what would you offer for an eighth copy.

You are offered a book worth $100 that you can't keep in stock, and that you've sold a dozen of in the last three months. Will you pay more for the second book even though both will sell for the same amount?    

On 9/27/2021 at 12:51 AM, revat said:

I don’t know specifics, but while the rest of us price out books based on the ENTIRE MARKET, they almost certainly prioritize their own internal data over more generalized data, so where their sample size is smaller for their own sales (possibly golden age), they might be farther off from the market at large.  

Probably. 

On 9/27/2021 at 11:39 AM, mycomicshop said:

It's also possible it was a mistake or oversight on our part. You're welcome to PM me if you ever get an offer you think is way off the mark on something and I can double check it for you.

Thanks. It's not a huge issue. Any time I've rejected a direct offer I just consign the book instead. At this point I run probably 95% of my comic transactions, buying and selling, through MCS via all the various methods.

On 9/28/2021 at 5:07 PM, Ryan. said:

My last three consignments have all sold within hours of me posting them, including one tonight that sold within minutes. I wonder if traffic has increased on MCS lately hm

I take it to mean you are leaving money on the table. Jack up your  posting prices. If they don't sell, lower the price 5% and they will appear as new listings. 

Edited by shadroch

On 9/28/2021 at 6:34 PM, shadroch said:
On 9/28/2021 at 6:07 PM, Ryan. said:

My last three consignments have all sold within hours of me posting them, including one tonight that sold within minutes. I wonder if traffic has increased on MCS lately hm

I take it to mean you are leaving money on the table. Jack up your  posting prices. If they don't sell, lower the price 5% and they will appear as new listings. 

Exactly what I was thinking.  Unless you need money ASAP start a little higher.  You can always come down but you can't go up if it sells.