• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The bugs couldn't handle the flames

20 posts in this topic

This is really cool.  I've seen this on books myself, but never really to this extent, dodging the flames so carefully!

I've also noticed that a lot of books with bug chews seem to have above average page quality (which would kind of follow this same logic.. maybe the more crispy/tan covers don't taste as good as a fresher cover.. in the mind of a bug!).

On 10/1/2021 at 10:06 AM, gadzukes said:

Look closely at this Flash cover.

It graded 1.0 because of massive amounts of Bug-Chew on the cover.

I find it really interesting that the bugs chewed neatly around the flames on the cover.  I've seen this phenomenon before on other GA comics where the bugs stick to the "white paper" only, but I don't think I've ever seen it to this extent.  I guess certain inks don't taste good?

If you really look close you'll see that even up on the top edge the bug chew neatly goes around the "Aug. No. 8"

1.jpeg

that is WILD!!! Pretty darn neat actually!!! 

On 10/1/2021 at 5:55 PM, catman76 said:

I have some comics with holes just bored right through the entire comic by some kind of bug but never saw anything like this. I guess when you are a tiny bug that extra thousandth of a inch thickness of the black ink is too much for you chew through. Meanwhile mice don't care....

1027135646_tec_zpsr1bsos5d.jpgoriginal.jpg.f4654761524e42738a7cba20db470675.jpg

I love this book.

Here's a buggy Fight #47 that was just listed on ebay. You can see the critters ate around the logo and trees in the upper left corner, and the coupon stuff around the bottom of the back cover. (They actually left the cover stock itself, but snacked on the glossy top layer!)

I have some comics with holes just bored right through the entire comic by some kind of bug but never saw anything like this. I guess when you are a tiny bug that extra thousandth of a inch thickness of the black ink is too much for you chew through. Meanwhile mice don't care....

Oh man that has to be the worse damage I've seen to a comic that is still around. Some mouse had a comfortable expensive nest.

On 10/3/2021 at 8:58 AM, JvR11 said:

Oh man that has to be the worse damage I've seen to a comic that is still around. Some mouse had a comfortable expensive nest.

I heard a story once of a small box full of Actions 1s that were all chewed through the center to form a comfy rat nest, and what remained of the books was so inundated with baby rat waste that the guy who found it gagged from the smell and tossed it all.  This was many years ago.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:59 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

I heard a story once of a small box full of Actions 1s that were all chewed through the center to form a comfy rat nest, and what remained of the books was so inundated with baby rat waste that the guy who found it gagged from the smell and tossed it all.  This was many years ago.

That's sounds like Urban legend, but who know's.... A friend of mine has a nice raw Action 1 and he always tells me his dad's family would take the comics & other papers (sears roebuck catalog) out to the outhouse to use as toilet paper.  He likes to joke that his dad probably wiped his with an Action Comics 1.

On 10/8/2021 at 1:58 PM, gadzukes said:

That's sounds like Urban legend, but who know's.... A friend of mine has a nice raw Action 1 and he always tells me his dad's family would take the comics & other papers (sears roebuck catalog) out to the outhouse to use as toilet paper.  He likes to joke that his dad probably wiped his with an Action Comics 1.

Hope he remembered to remove the staples :eek:

On 10/14/2021 at 3:07 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Many of the Promise Collection books have rat chews. I wonder whether we'll ever see the most severely chewed ones.

Probably not, as that information is probably proprietary ...CGC Top Secret security clearance required!

But I predict that when the movie gets made "Promise" will be a Disney property.  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  CrystalBall2.gif

This needs a "Warning Graphic Content" label on it. Once you see it you can't unsee it you know.

Edited by Professor K
forgot the parenthesis " "