• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Marvel Have Any Horror Titles?
2 2

95 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2021 at 11:43 AM, shadroch said:

I'm not sure I'd put Frankenstein, Dracula, The Man-wolf or Werewolf By Night in the horror genre.  They were more like superheroes with a big flaw to me.

They hadn't struck me as "horror" either, which is why I had to ask.

It seems as though - unless I've exhausted all other options - it's not worth getting into any Marvel "horror", other than maybe Zombies.

Not really sure what kind of horror you want, but a good sampler of golden age atlas horror is Menace Marvel Masterworks. Much scarier horror existed prior to pre-code. So they had to kind of taper it down for a while. Strictly in the bronze age, I find the magazines to be scarier in general.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 11/3/2021 at 8:53 AM, shadroch said:

I haven't read any since the mid 1970s, but as I recall them, some of the Skywald B&W mags were pretty good. As in any anthology, you will have a bunch of subpar stories as well, but some were pretty damned good to the 14 year old boy who was reading them.

They've all been reprinted as well, for anyone interested.

They are like a slightly lower and (in some cases scarier) version of warren publications (creepy, eerie, etc). This is the kind of stuff I go to for a 'horror' fix.

If you really want to be scared, read about some of the spanish artists who contributed to a lot of warren bronze horror. There were some seriously disturbed artists there. 

skywald1.jpg

Edited by bronze_rules

On 11/3/2021 at 3:49 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

They hadn't struck me as "horror" either, which is why I had to ask.

It seems as though - unless I've exhausted all other options - it's not worth getting into any Marvel "horror", other than maybe Zombies.

They are quite tame.

DC had some HOM and HOS stories during the Bronze period that I found disturbing as a kid, but Marvel, I’m struggling to recall anything really.

Also, Ta!es of the Zombie is a great series from Marvel that was featured in a 75¢ black and white magazine. I was seven years old when the first issue came out, and I snuck a copy into my house. My sister saw it, grabbed it and opened up to a page with a beautiful nude girl skinny dipping. So the book was confiscated. Now I have about 10 high grade copies. I dare anyone to try to throw those out.

On 11/3/2021 at 6:01 PM, bronze_rules said:

Not really sure what kind of horror you want...

I was/am just interested to see if they had/have any stake in the horror genre. I know that DC has some decent stuff to pull from Bronze and Modern, but have never seen Marvel's name mentioned in the genre before. Just an inquiring mind.

There is always the option of buying a subscription to Marvel Unlimited as a more economic way to explore some of these suggested titles to see if there is something that you want to collect.  If you find something that strikes a chord with you then you could collect those books in physical form.

I have found that Marvel Unlimited is a great way to read a book to see if it is worth owning in physical form as a collectible. 

On 11/4/2021 at 10:45 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I was/am just interested to see if they had/have any stake in the horror genre. I know that DC has some decent stuff to pull from Bronze and Modern, but have never seen Marvel's name mentioned in the genre before. Just an inquiring mind.

Not sure why you think the pence comics posted at the start of this thread don't count? It's not like there weren't cents issues too....

And the majority of 1970s Black and White magazines from Warren, Skywald, Eerie Publications and yes.......Marvel/Curtis are most certainly classed as horror. Ralph Reese's Rats in Marvel's Haunt of Horror 1 scared the younger me.

rat.jpg

vampire tales 9.jpg

Edited by themagicrobot

On 11/4/2021 at 4:12 AM, Buzzetta said:

There is always the option of buying a subscription to Marvel Unlimited as a more economic way to explore some of these suggested titles to see if there is something that you want to collect.  If you find something that strikes a chord with you then you could collect those books in physical form.

I have found that Marvel Unlimited is a great way to read a book to see if it is worth owning in physical form as a collectible. 

They are very limited on horror titles, unfortunately.

On 11/4/2021 at 2:36 PM, themagicrobot said:

Not sure why you think the pence comics posted at the start of this thread don't count? It's not like there weren't cents issues too....

And the majority of 1970s Black and White magazines from Warren, Skwald, Eerie Publications and yes.......Marvel/Curtis are most certainly classed as horror. Ralph Reece's Rats in Marvel's Haunt of Horror 1 scared the younger me.

T'was a joke.

On 11/4/2021 at 2:45 PM, themagicrobot said:

Then it's a joke I don't get. Are all threads here full of in-jokes that only the prolific posters get?? No wonder there is a large thread about lurkers.

Steve is from the UK and I am an American. Yes, there are geographic jokes that occur every now and then.

On 11/2/2021 at 2:29 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I haven't found any Bronze Age Horror that tickles my fancy (yet). I haven't delved into Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, but will eventually. I knew that EC and DC had a bunch of "horror" titles in the BA but did not know that Marvel had any.

Frankly its hard to tell when people are taking the p*ss or not in the CGC forums. 

Read Alan's Swamp Thing, not just because it might possibly be considered a horror book but because its so very well written.

On 11/4/2021 at 2:56 PM, themagicrobot said:

Frankly its hard to tell when people are taking the p*ss or not in the CGC forums. 

Read Alan's Swamp Thing, not just because it might possibly be considered a horror book but because its so very well written.

Good "rule of thumb" is that, at least in Comics General, people are joking around more often than not.  A bit less joking around in the Age Specific Forums.  

Think of CG as the "Mos Eisley of the forums".  

On 11/4/2021 at 6:56 PM, themagicrobot said:

Pretty much everything I post is taking the piss Robot. Ten separate pence threads? That's taking the piss, surely.