• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm going to end up on Hoarders if I'm not careful
1 1

40 posts in this topic

On 12/8/2021 at 3:19 PM, Hamlet said:

A local comic store has dollar box sales from time to time so that they don't get buried alive in their inventory.  They rent a space, and put a few hundred dollar boxes out for people to go through.  They had one last week, and I bought 66 dollar books.  That's pretty normal for me.

I just got a notice that they are doing the same thing this weekend, but they are getting serious about moving books, so they are going let people fill a long box for $70.

Am I going to go and fill a long box with books that I didn't want for a dollar but am willing to buy for ~ 3/$1 ?

I suspect that I will.  I need some help.

Yes, you will because we all have that problem.  I've learned to hate clutter.  Just donate a bunch of them to a Children's hospital or something.  

I want to start flipping boardies books! If you have a storage unit, sell me 25 boxes! We'll both be happier and I'll be back shortly!

I do not understand people with 100+ long boxes who are not actively selling. I've only purchased a few thousand books at a time, but I need to move a large % before I get antsy to buy more. SELL SELL SELL! That is why you bought them (or 75% of them!)

On 12/8/2021 at 5:04 PM, Hamlet said:

I forgot the group that I was dealing with.  My wife thinks I’m a hoarder, you guys would look at my collection and ask where the rest of it is 😀

It’s like the Aquarium club I go to.  When I tell them I have 12 fish tanks, they respond with “why only 12?” 

On 12/8/2021 at 5:32 PM, Namtak said:

Aquarium club is a thing?:shiftyeyes:

I hardly even see aquarium in doctors offices anymore, yet my dentist is holding on firm.

I think mostly gold fish, but as I've never had goldfish as a pet, I didnt know they got that big.

Is it more about the aquarium or the fish? Or just both? :x

On 12/8/2021 at 5:23 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I hardly even see aquarium in doctors offices anymore, yet my dentist is holding on firm.

I think mostly gold fish, but as I've never had goldfish as a pet, I didnt know they got that big.

I think this would be like asking a comic collector if it is it more about completing the run or having the key issues from it. Everybody is different so I think the answer is all of the above :)

On 12/8/2021 at 7:48 PM, 707comics said:

I think this would be like asking a comic collector if it is it more about completing the run or having the key issues from it. Everybody is different so I think the answer is all of the above :)

I could see how it's an art form (thumbsu

Intriguing too :)

On 12/8/2021 at 6:04 PM, Hamlet said:

I forgot the group that I was dealing with.  My wife thinks I’m a hoarder, you guys would look at my collection and ask where the rest of it is 😀

It’s like the Aquarium club I go to.  When I tell them I have 12 fish tanks, they respond with “why only 12?” 

Aquarium Clubs are the best! I am a member of one in NJ

On 12/8/2021 at 7:23 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Both of the Pediatrician offices that we go to have aquariums.  One has a saltwater setup and one has an African cichlid tank.

Goldfish can get huge.  They are closely related to carp.

For me, I’m mostly interested in breeding the fish.  I’ve bred about 15 different species of tropical fish so far.  The club has a Breeder’s program where we donate fry for points that the club then auctions off to pay club expenses.  There is a similar program for live plants.

On 12/8/2021 at 2:19 PM, Hamlet said:

A local comic store has dollar box sales from time to time so that they don't get buried alive in their inventory.  They rent a space, and put a few hundred dollar boxes out for people to go through.  They had one last week, and I bought 66 dollar books.  That's pretty normal for me.

I just got a notice that they are doing the same thing this weekend, but they are getting serious about moving books, so they are going let people fill a long box for $70.

Am I going to go and fill a long box with books that I didn't want for a dollar but am willing to buy for ~ 3/$1 ?

I suspect that I will.  I need some help.

Here is a real mark of my sickness- when I’m digging thru ultra-cheap boxes ( 50 cents or 3/$1 typically ), I often grab annuals and other double-sized issues since they are so cheap for that much reading ( even though I rarely end up actually reading them these days ).

I was just counting books in one of my long boxes to get a feel for roughly how many boarded books a long box holds ( ~250 maybe more if I pack them tight ), and it occurred to me that when you are filling a box instead of paying per book, the double-sized books cost you more.