• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action 1 Rocket Copy & Tec 27 CGC 4.5
6 6

179 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2021 at 5:17 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

These are good examples, but when it comes to a book that’s this rare, we can only speculate on what it will sell for. Most buyers aren’t going to say I am going to wait for a better copy.

Me and my 2 sons love the rocket, they said it’s pretty cool that a kid owned it.

would a date stamp be more appealing?

Probably true about waiting. If someone at this time wan'ts a mid grade AC 1 (or high grade in the case of Action 1 as there ain't many higher than 6.0) I don't think the Hastily Devised Space-Ship aka Rocket stamp is going to dissuade them, at least not most people. And that's mostly because they so rarely are available for auction. I just don't think it helps it any as far as the final price. It's really impossible to know either way.

Date stamp? Personally for me that's also a negative. But definitely a positive for many. 

On 12/24/2021 at 3:54 AM, Professor K said:

Original staples?

Grader Notes
Color touch (Archival material, high quality over 4"" x 4"") Cover A-5
Color touch (Archival material, high quality over 4"" x 4"") Full Bottom Interior A-5
Color touch (Archival material, high quality over 4"" x 4"") Full Right Interior A-5
Color touch (Archival material, high quality over 4"" x 4"") Full Top Interior A-5
Cover cleaning (High quality) A-1
Interior lightening (High quality) A-1
Moderate Spine split sealed to interior (Archival material, high quality) A-1
Piece fill cover (Archival material, high quality over 2"" x 2"") Full Bottom Back Cover A-5
Piece fill cover (Archival material, high quality over 2"" x 2"") Full Left Back Cover A-5
Piece fill cover (Archival material, high quality over 2"" x 2"") Full Top Back Cover A-5
Piece fill cover (Archival material, high quality up to 1"" x 1"") Right Bottom Front Cover A-3
Piece fill cover (Archival material, high quality up to 1"" x 1"") Spine A-3
Piece fill interior (Archival material, high quality over 2"" x 2"") Full Bottom Interior A-5
Piece fill interior (Archival material, high quality over 2"" x 2"") Full Right Interior A-5
Piece fill interior (Archival material, high quality over 2"" x 2"") Full Top Interior A-5
Reinforcement to interior (Archival material, high quality) Spine A-1
butterfly flared corner back cover
butterfly flared corner front cover
gloss smudging full center of back cover

The Sistine Chapel had less restoration!

On 12/22/2021 at 4:00 PM, Peter G said:

Is this the proof that this is an original owner copy ? A picture of a rocket stamp and  a box? I am the most skeptical S.O.B. when it comes to the marketing gimmicks and promotional tales in this hobby. I have been around long enough to not put it past somebody to stamp this Action 1 a few weeks ago and ordain it the "Rocket Copy". All I know is that if I was a young lad in the 1930s-40s with that Rocket stamp, I would have stamped it ten times until Tuesday. Consider me jaded but that is where I stand.

Speaking of the rocket stamp, is it just my aging eyes or are there differences between the stamp on the book and the stamp itself?  hm

On 1/1/2022 at 9:35 AM, pemart1966 said:

Speaking of the rocket stamp, is it just my aging eyes or are there differences between the stamp on the book and the stamp itself?  hm

I don't see anything on the stamp that appears different than the ink on the book. Stared at both pics side by side for a few minutes. I believe it's the same. The stamp (whether legit or not) looks like it hasn't aged well and I don't believe that if someone recently put red ink on it and stamped this book that the image would come out as sharp as it is. 

On 1/1/2022 at 4:30 PM, Professor K said:

I don't see anything on the stamp that appears different than the ink on the book. Stared at both pics side by side for a few minutes. I believe it's the same. The stamp (whether legit or not) looks like it hasn't aged well and I don't believe that if someone recently put red ink on it and stamped this book that the image would come out as sharp as it is. 

As examples:  If you look at the actual stamp there appears to be 4 dots in the middle of the rocket body.  The inked rocket on the book has a lightening bolt like line instead.  The stamp has what appears to be 1 planet above and 1 planet below the rocket.   I don't see either on the book.

Edited by pemart1966

On 1/1/2022 at 8:23 PM, pemart1966 said:

If you look at the actual stamp there appears to be 4 dots in the middle of the rocket body.  The inked rocket on the book has a lightening bolt like line instead.  The stamp has what appears to be 1 planet above and 1 planet below the rocket.   I don't see either on the book.

Agreed.

A little sus.

Screenshot_20220101-204345_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c1fadd21fa3c67387a8e50a870d2dfb8.jpgScreenshot_20220101-204355_Chrome.jpg.50be6278724e64f87ac2744bbc227b73.jpg

On 1/1/2022 at 11:03 PM, woowoo said:

I would think it depends on how much ink and if he slid the stamp. I think its ink smear, but we will never know.

If the stamp did slide, I would expect the whole image to be smeared.  It's not.  It's crystal clear on the book - at least in the lightening bolt area.

Edited by pemart1966

On 1/1/2022 at 8:03 PM, woowoo said:
On 1/1/2022 at 7:50 PM, grendelbo said:

Screenshot_20220101-204345_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c1fadd21fa3c67387a8e50a870d2dfb8.jpgScreenshot_20220101-204355_Chrome.jpg.50be6278724e64f87ac2744bbc227b73.jpg

I would think it depends on how much ink and if he slid the stamp. I think its ink smear, but we will never know.

Well than you have to look at the old stamp hm maybe it was more like a lightning bolt and the middle rubber feel off with other pieces over the years ? I would think the rubber would start falling apart faster than the ink stamp.(shrug)

I’m not questioning whether the stamp is phony… looks like a match to me.  But the photo of the stamp has to be flopped cause inking the side we are looking at would leave a flopped image on the comic.  Right?  What’s on the right side of the inked stamp ends up on the left side of the paper it’s pressed against 

On 1/1/2022 at 9:43 PM, Aman619 said:

I’m not questioning whether the stamp is phony… looks like a match to me.  But the photo of the stamp has to be flopped cause inking the side we are looking at would leave a flopped image on the comic.  Right?  What’s on the right side of the inked stamp ends up on the left side of the paper it’s pressed against 

Yup