• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action 1 Rocket Copy & Tec 27 CGC 4.5
6 6

179 posts in this topic

On 1/1/2022 at 9:43 PM, Aman619 said:

I’m not questioning whether the stamp is phony… looks like a match to me.  But the photo of the stamp has to be flopped cause inking the side we are looking at would leave a flopped image on the comic.  Right?  What’s on the right side of the inked stamp ends up on the left side of the paper it’s pressed against 

That's why I flipped and rotated the image on the comic. Can see them side by side better.

On 1/1/2022 at 10:23 PM, pemart1966 said:

As examples:  If you look at the actual stamp there appears to be 4 dots in the middle of the rocket body.  The inked rocket on the book has a lightening bolt like line instead.  The stamp has what appears to be 1 planet above and 1 planet below the rocket.   I don't see either on the book.

I did notice the dots and the lightning bolt stuff. Yes the dots do look different but I attributed that to age. I didn't notice the round dots above and below but I'm thinking they might be the rivets, screws, pins, ect that is keeping the rubber attached to the wood and they worked their way to the surface over time. Or the rubber dried out and dematerialized exposing the rivets . I really dont know.

If the story is bogus that means either the book had the ink stamp on it for a long time and someone found an old rubber stamp that pretty much matched it and created a little backstory. Or someone actually stamped that space ship on a clean Action 1 in order to create a backstory in the hope it will sell for more, which I highly doubt. That would be like painting lipstick on the Mona Lisa, well almost like that.

We live in an increasingly weird world where anything is possible after a century of fiction, film plots and conspiracy theories…. But I don’t think any owner of an ACtion ! This nice stamps an image on it to boost bidding.   But….

I mean don’t we always say Buy the book, not the stamp?

On 1/1/2022 at 11:33 PM, Aman619 said:

We live in an increasingly weird world where anything is possible after a century of fiction, film plots and conspiracy theories…. But I don’t think any owner of an ACtion ! This nice stamps an image on it to boost bidding.   But….

I mean don’t we always say Buy the book, not the stamp?

Depends, people will pay a silly amount for a bronze age book with a certain stamp.

I like the rocket stamped on the book, but I'm not sure if the seller should have even included the stamper as part of the auction.  100% of the focus should be on this great book.  0% should be on the stupid stamper.  I mean.... look how much it's being talked about in this thread.

Does anyone really think the stamper is going to add some huge amount of premium?  I don't.

On 1/3/2022 at 5:38 PM, I am not Glenda said:

Have we really gotten to the point where we are now wondering if the stamp is real or fake? Fact is this is a copy of ACTION #1 its a great looking copy and if it was stamped last week and that bugs you keep your money in the bank. It just feels like a bunch of old ladies with noting better to do on here sometimes. You know what blows me away as a collector ( not the stamp) But that 2 unknown copies of the most historic, iconic and bad @ss books in our hobby just popped up (no resto) so we can't complain about how we would never want one of those in our collection ( purple agggggggg). and both imho anyone on this board or any other board should be proud to own, stamp, no stamp or fake stamp from 1964..........................Nuff said. 

..Nuff said. I new you where Stan Lee's kid.:yeehaw:

With less than a handful of days to go anyone have any changes in anyones hammer guesses ? Was hoping the TEc would be doing  much "better"  at this stage in the auction.  Rocket copy is as strong as I expected 

On 1/3/2022 at 8:38 PM, I am not Glenda said:

Have we really gotten to the point where we are now wondering if the stamp is real or fake? Fact is this is a copy of ACTION #1 its a great looking copy and if it was stamped last week and that bugs you keep your money in the bank. It just feels like a bunch of old ladies with noting better to do on here sometimes. You know what blows me away as a collector ( not the stamp) But that 2 unknown copies of the most historic, iconic and bad @ss books in our hobby just popped up (no resto) so we can't complain about how we would never want one of those in our collection ( purple agggggggg). and both imho anyone on this board or any other board should be proud to own, stamp, no stamp or fake stamp from 1964..........................Nuff said. 

The question is not whether the stamp is real or fake.  It's there - of course it's real.  The question is whether the stamp on the book matches the actual stamp that accompanies the book.  I raised the issue.

HA is making the stamp a big point of their marketing.  They must think that it's important.  In fact, the CGC label says "Rocket copy"!

Tell me - is this any different from someone raising the condition of the staples or pointing out corner blunting or a small crease?

This is a million $+ book and the most important book in the history of comics.  To answer to your question, YES we have reached the point of having a discussion about the stamp as it's part of this lot.

Edited by pemart1966

On 1/9/2022 at 12:26 PM, pemart1966 said:

The question is not whether the stamp is real or fake.  It's there - of course it's real.  The question is whether the stamp on the book matches the actual stamp that accompanies the book.  I raised the issue.

HA is making the stamp a big point of it in their marketing.  They must think that it's important.  In fact, the CGC label says "Rocket copy"!

Tell me - is this any different from someone raising the condition of the staples or pointing out corner blunting or a small crease?

This is a million $+ book and the most important book in the history of comics.  To answer to your question, YES we have reached the point of having a discussion about the stamp as it's part of this lot.

. That stamp unlike a replaced staple is obviously not original from the when the book was printed. The stamp could have been put on there last week or 70 years ago. which if I recall was party of the same post/ conversation, So yes it is different from someone raising the condition of staples or pointing out corner blunting or a small crease? The book is graded and regardless of the stamp being there or not its is what it is...right? The stamp is clearly presented and visible. But when the stamp is from and when it was stamped is just silly, "I am the most skeptical S.O.B. when it comes to the marketing gimmicks and promotional tales in this hobby."  Fair enough but the gimmick is meaningless the stamp may have an impact on the final price up or down I doubt it..... Here is what this book is its an ACTION #1 6.0 blue label the Rocket is clear and visible & the next owner ( god bless) should be thrilled because its a great copy with or without the stamp and IMHO the final hammer won't be based on the stamp. Now I am not the most skeptical S.O.B. in the world so to each his own......have all the conversation about the stamp you guys want, maybe we could all chip in and hire a private eye to find out when those stamps were made & do a You-tube special.

On 1/9/2022 at 12:26 PM, pemart1966 said:

Edited by I am not Glenda

On 1/9/2022 at 10:33 AM, Chicago Boy said:

With less than a handful of days to go anyone have any changes in anyones hammer guesses ? Was hoping the TEc would be doing  much "better"  at this stage in the auction.  Rocket copy is as strong as I expected 

The most recent HA sale of a book close to the current 4.5 was a Tec 5.0 with big bad white pages & it did a solid 1,125,000.00 last June. The current book has Tan/ow pages so its a lower grade book with lower page quality ( nice looking 4.5 imho) But where do you think its going to/should hammer out at? Someone might get a bit of deal?

On 1/9/2022 at 7:33 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Well, I just started to take a look at this upcoming auction and didn't get very far at all as this little beauty here is right after the Rocket copy:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure-comics-73-rockford-pedigree-dc-1942-cgc-nm-92-off-white-pages/a/7266-91031.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F2%2F2%2F9%2F25229761%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Never could understand why this book has not fared as well in the marketplace as the other four books (i.e. 'Tec 31, Punch 12, All-American 61, & Supes 14) which I had listed in my Top 5 GA covers back in the 90's for a CBM survey have all shot up in valuation like there's no tomorrow.  Definitely not so much and seemingly nada for the Adventure 73 as even the other classic Manhunter cover from Adventure 79 has fared much better from a relative valuation increase point of view.  Have always loved this cover ever since I saw a stunning HG copy of this book during the Diamond Int'l Galleries grand opening as the artistic perspective just makes it appear 3-D with the Manhunter seemingly stepping right out from the cover to grab you.  :cloud9:

Haven't gotten to the Batman 'Tec's yet, but the current bidding on this highest graded copy here sure looks enticing at less than 25% of top of guide.  Especially since this book here seems to be rather tough to find in grade with this copy here along with only one other being able to achieve this highest CGC 9.2 grade after all these years, with all other graded copies much further down the condition scale at CGC 8.0 or lower.  Makes me wonder if in this current hotter than hot GA classic cover marketplace, whether this copy here will finally be able to top the roughly $26K price point that the other copy managed to fetched way back in 2006, only to see subsequent sales fall far far below this price point?  hm  

I guess it's only a matter of a short few more days and we'll find out the answer to this question here. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

I like the stamp.  But, it looks like a homemade linocut to me, not a machine made rubber stamp.  That looks like an old lino block stamp.  My grandmother used them for art projects back in the 40s, and I have some. I think stamp is a little bit of the OO's original art.  Far better than crayon scribbles.  The kid may even have been inspired by Superman's origin to make that stamp.  The stamp hurts the value of the book in my view (its not historical and it distracts from the art), so the notion the stamp was applied recently is foolish.  But, the fact that the stamp doesn't exactly match the book could be due to subsequent carving the kid made to the lino block back in the day. 

On 1/10/2022 at 1:40 AM, sfcityduck said:

I like the stamp.  But, it looks like a homemade linocut to me, not a machine made rubber stamp.  That looks like an old lino block stamp.  My grandmother used them for art projects back in the 40s, and I have some. I think stamp is a little bit of the OO's original art.  Far better than crayon scribbles.  The kid may even have been inspired by Superman's origin to make that stamp.  The stamp hurts the value of the book in my view (its not historical and it distracts from the art), so the notion the stamp was applied recently is foolish.  But, the fact that the stamp doesn't exactly match the book could be due to subsequent carving the kid made to the lino block back in the day. 

I don't mind the stamp either.  I don't think that it's recent either.  I do think however that the lines are too precise for it to have been handmade - machine made IMO.

Edited by pemart1966

On 1/10/2022 at 1:20 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, I just started to take a look at this upcoming auction and didn't get very far at all as this little beauty here is right after the Rocket copy:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure-comics-73-rockford-pedigree-dc-1942-cgc-nm-92-off-white-pages/a/7266-91031.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F2%2F2%2F9%2F25229761%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Is the "S" stamp included in that auction lot?  (:

On 1/10/2022 at 12:07 PM, The Black Hand ® said:

Oh...I thought that was an 8 which are the number of letters in Rockford.

lol I didn't even see it was a Rockford, just saw a stamp.

On 1/10/2022 at 1:20 AM, lou_fine said:

Never could understand why this book has not fared as well in the marketplace as the other four books (i.e. 'Tec 31, Punch 12, All-American 61, & Supes 14) which I had listed in my Top 5 GA covers back in the 90's for a CBM survey have all shot up in valuation like there's no tomorrow.  Definitely not so much and seemingly nada for the Adventure 73 as even the other classic Manhunter cover from Adventure 79 has fared much better from a relative valuation increase point of view.  Have always loved this cover ever since I saw a stunning HG copy of this book during the Diamond Int'l Galleries grand opening as the artistic perspective just makes it appear 3-D with the Manhunter seemingly stepping right out from the cover to grab you.  :cloud9:

Haven't gotten to the Batman 'Tec's yet, but the current bidding on this highest graded copy here sure looks enticing at less than 25% of top of guide.  Especially since this book here seems to be rather tough to find in grade with this copy here along with only one other being able to achieve this highest CGC 9.2 grade after all these years, with all other graded copies much further down the condition scale at CGC 8.0 or lower.  Makes me wonder if in this current hotter than hot GA classic cover marketplace, whether this copy here will finally be able to top the roughly $26K price point that the other copy managed to fetched way back in 2006, only to see subsequent sales fall far far below this price point?  hm  

I guess it's only a matter of a short few more days and we'll find out the answer to this question here. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

I am a huge fan of this cover and own a nice copy ... but having said that, I think the reason it hasn’t increased like the others you’ve named is because all the others either feature a popular-today-character-that-has-also-transcended-into-pop-culture-via-film-or-TV, or cater to a super highly collected genre (pre-code tough and classic covers).

The Adventure 79 is another favorite. Start with the fact that it was only broken out in the Guide from surrounding issues after I lobbied hard years ago for this to happen.  Amazing to me given it’s arguably the best WWII cover in the series, and compares well to other WWII covers. And, despite it certainly increasing in value at possibly a better rate than the #73, I generally attribute this to #79 being a far less expensive book.