• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action 1 Rocket Copy & Tec 27 CGC 4.5
6 6

179 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2021 at 4:54 PM, Professor K said:

Original staples?

Grader Notes
Color touch (Archival material, high quality over 4"" x 4"") Cover A-5
Color touch (Archival material, high quality over 4"" x 4"") Full Bottom Interior A-5
Color touch (Archival material, high quality over 4"" x 4"") Full Right Interior A-5
Color touch (Archival material, high quality over 4"" x 4"") Full Top Interior A-5
Cover cleaning (High quality) A-1
Interior lightening (High quality) A-1
Moderate Spine split sealed to interior (Archival material, high quality) A-1
Piece fill cover (Archival material, high quality over 2"" x 2"") Full Bottom Back Cover A-5
Piece fill cover (Archival material, high quality over 2"" x 2"") Full Left Back Cover A-5
Piece fill cover (Archival material, high quality over 2"" x 2"") Full Top Back Cover A-5
Piece fill cover (Archival material, high quality up to 1"" x 1"") Right Bottom Front Cover A-3
Piece fill cover (Archival material, high quality up to 1"" x 1"") Spine A-3
Piece fill interior (Archival material, high quality over 2"" x 2"") Full Bottom Interior A-5
Piece fill interior (Archival material, high quality over 2"" x 2"") Full Right Interior A-5
Piece fill interior (Archival material, high quality over 2"" x 2"") Full Top Interior A-5
Reinforcement to interior (Archival material, high quality) Spine A-1
butterfly flared corner back cover
butterfly flared corner front cover
gloss smudging full center of back cover

Frankenstein lives, 200 years later - The Washington Post

On 12/23/2021 at 9:44 AM, G.A.tor said:

I doubt any buyer for this book is motivated to pay more because of a rocket stamp lol

I would, so no one would care to pay extra if a car is owned by a celebrity? Back stories always add value to collectibles. Some of us on the boards might not like it, but others do.

On 12/22/2021 at 11:43 PM, Professor K said:

Not sure if anyone said this and I'm to lazy to look right now but the very first panel in Action 1 shows a "hastily devised space ship" in which baby Superman came to Earth in that looks very much like the "Rocket" stamp on this Action 1. Same color even. I'd say the kid knew exactly what he was doing.

It's not a rocket, it's a spaceship.lf.thumb.jpg.0f9e41c3deaf56e34d7159cbee223b08.jpg

Thanks for pointing this out. I love the back story to this book. I think it is awesome that it is distinguished by a rocket ship. The kid who stamped this loved Superman and rockets, big deal. At least he preserved a piece of history for us. Let’s just keep bad talking the poor soul, if he past away may he Rest In Peace. 

@Professor K My post is not directed at you :foryou:

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

On 12/24/2021 at 1:34 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I would, so no one would care to pay extra if a car is owned by a celebrity? Back stories always add value to collectibles. Some of us on the boards might not like it, but others do.

My point was this is a 7 figure book. The price will end the same regardless of if there is a stamp or back story. You aren’t saying “I’d pay 2.65 mil for a 6.0 but I’m going to pay 2.651 because it has a rocket stamp”

at this level the value added is negligible 

now a $500 book, sure some provenance and back story can boost. But not a mid 7 figure book (imo)

On 12/24/2021 at 11:20 AM, G.A.tor said:

My point was this is a 7 figure book. The price will end the same regardless of if there is a stamp or back story. You aren’t saying “I’d pay 2.65 mil for a 6.0 but I’m going to pay 2.651 because it has a rocket stamp”

at this level the value added is negligible 

now a $500 book, sure some provenance and back story can boost. But not a mid 7 figure book (imo)

I get what you are saying, but if 2 exact copies came up for auction with 6.0 and white pages, I would assume the one with the rocket would fetch more because of the back story and it’s name rocket copy.

would I pay slightly more in this situation, I would.

On 12/24/2021 at 10:49 AM, fishbone said:

....and anyone looking for a more "affordable"  Tec #27  not touched by the Meyers ,   on C-Link .......................

RADDBB8E2021127_122722.jpg 

All I can say is that from just the front cover scan, this appears to be a pretty sharp looking copy relative to its assigned CGC 7.0 grade.  :luhv:  

On 12/24/2021 at 2:40 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I get what you are saying, but if 2 exact copies came up for auction with 6.0 and white pages, I would assume the one with the rocket would fetch more because of the back story and it’s name rocket copy.

would I pay slightly more in this situation, I would.

And I believe it would fetch less. And I’m guessing most would rather have a non stamped Copy, regardless of the back story (not all but most ). This isn’t some sensational pedigree or provenance copy. Really no diff than when the anchor action books came up. They all sold less than cgc graded averages bc the stamps were actually hurting the visible eye appeal of the book. 

On 12/20/2021 at 9:55 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Look at the area that looks like rusted staples. It looks like the paper quality to the right of N in Action.

If it were rusted, wouldn't CGC note it by default as "Rusted Staples"? Would a White Page comic not show signs of page deterioration along with rusted staples? I could be wrong.

old first gen labels i've seen the 'rusty staples' note, but after that cgc seems to have stopped putting that on labels, just on graders notes. 

On 12/24/2021 at 6:50 AM, Bronty said:

Good lord.   Lotta work

Yeah, it took me a long time to write all that out. lol

On 12/24/2021 at 12:37 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

What a difference 12 years can make. I wonder where it will be 12 years from now

Yep, we've all discussed this before I believe. I don't think it's rational to believe these big money books will appreciate even close to the rate in which they have in the past 10 or 5, or even 2 years (Not saying you are saying that). So this 6.0 AC 1 will probably sell for 10X more than the only other 6.0 did 12 years ago. At that rate we'd be talking I guess 30 million ten years from now. It seems some very wealthy people have caught on to the investment potential these books have so from here on out it will probably be a very slow increase. Possibly even a risky investment. 

On 12/24/2021 at 3:52 PM, G.A.tor said:

And I believe it would fetch less. And I’m guessing most would rather have a non stamped Copy, regardless of the back story (not all but most ). This isn’t some sensational pedigree or provenance copy. Really no diff than when the anchor action books came up. They all sold less than cgc graded averages bc the stamps were actually hurting the visible eye appeal of the book. 

I agree. Big League is correct about a backstory or known history of the book helping, but not at the cost of a big stamp on the cover. Most people would take a "clean" copy no matter what the official story or history of the book is. 

Not the best example but a Yellow label tmnt 1 with Eastman writing all over it sold for 198,000 on CL recently.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2021nov%26session%3D1%23Item_1529925&id=1529925&itemType=0

A few days later a Blue label sold on CC for 32,000 more. 

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/928850?tzf=1

Edited by Professor K

On 12/24/2021 at 1:58 PM, Professor K said:

Yeah, it took me a long time to write all that out. lol

Yep, we've all discussed this before I believe. I don't think it's rational to believe these big money books will appreciate even close to the rate in which they have in the past 10 or 5, or even 2 years (Not saying you are saying that). So this 6.0 AC 1 will probably sell for 10X more than the only other 6.0 did 12 years ago. At that rate we'd be talking I guess 30 million ten years from now. It seems some very wealthy people have caught on to the investment potential these books have so from here on out it will probably be a very slow increase. Possibly even a risky investment. 

I agree. Big League is correct about a backstory or known history of the book helping, but not at the cost of a big stamp on the cover. Most people would take a "clean" copy no matter what the official story or history of the book is. 

Not the best example but a Yellow label tmnt 1 with Eastman writing all over it sold for 198,000 on CL recently.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2021nov%26session%3D1%23Item_1529925&id=1529925&itemType=0

A few days later a Blue label sold on CC for 32,000 more. 

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/928850?tzf=1

These are good examples, but when it comes to a book that’s this rare, we can only speculate on what it will sell for. Most buyers aren’t going to say I am going to wait for a better copy.

Me and my 2 sons love the rocket, they said it’s pretty cool that a kid owned it.

would a date stamp be more appealing?

I like the rocket, but wouldn't pay more for it (or less). If I were in the market the only thing I'd consider is that it is over graded, but given the competition for any copy at all I don't know how much that would faze me. Fortunately (or unfortnately), that's not a consideration I'll be taking any time soon on a book of this caliber.