• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's a fair warning for those taking threads off topic
8 8

358 posts in this topic

On 12/25/2021 at 7:08 PM, Buzzetta said:

I cannot help but wonder if it is the same music site that I am familiar with.  For the rest of the site it is the same rules as those which have been established here.  However there is a section of that board, much like the water cooler that is completely off limits and anything goes. 

It was a bit... much.  

"Much"? For you? I find that hard to believe. Nevertheless, it illustrates my point. You - on that site - have a choice as to whether to participate or not. As much or as little as you want to. Your judgment of "much" has no bearing or validity. It is "much" for you. But not to others who enjoy it. And there lies the rub. When others feel that something is over-the-top but go one step further and inflict their opinion onto others and in fact solicit support from moderators or even owners of a site to get their way. And here - by intimating "much" - is a veiled attempt to kill an idea before it is even tried.

While you are one person who feels it is "much", there are hundreds that DON'T.

I'd love to know the name of the music site. Feel free to PM me the name. I'm a member of a lot of them.

Edited by Randall Ries

On 12/25/2021 at 6:16 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Right but from what I take, the idea is not to have "no moderation" but less moderation with clear rules. The thing I see is the number of subjects that could easily wind their way into politics is very large! You would have to so limit the allowed topics in the thread as to defeat it's purpose. It would be tough to make it actually free flowing. I tend to agree with the skepticism with so many members possibly chiming in. The idea is definitely well intended!

Well, if you are going to "limit" the topics, then of course it would be tough to make it actually free flowing. It's beyond well intended, the idea. It actually works and has for decades.

I myself used to pilot a music trading page. One of my caveats was "feel free to talk about whatever you like. Religion, politics, sex, violence, love, hate, movies music. I don't care. An I have instructed the mods to stay off peoples backs about it."

It worked just fine. We respected one another and trusted one another enough to let people have their say or share their observations. I only removed one person for an unrelated matter. He revealed the sites name publicly and it was a private site. No one needed to know about it. Security first.

On 12/25/2021 at 7:34 PM, Randall Ries said:

"Much"? For you? I find that hard to believe. Nevertheless, it illustrates my point. You - on that site - have a choice as to whether to participate or not. As much or as little as you want to. Your judgment of "much" has no bearing or validity. It is "much" for you. But not to others who enjoy it. And there lies the rub. When others feel that something is over-the-top but go one step further and inflict their opinion onto others and in fact solicit support from moderators or even owners of a site to get their way. And here - by intimating "much" - is a veiled attempt to kill an idea before it is even tried.

I'd love to know the name of the music site. Feel free to PM me the name. I'm a member of a lot of them.

When things drifted into other areas one of the guys who was blocked, banned, or whatever, came back exposing quite a bit of personal information about the moderator like name, phone number, pictures, family contacts, work and things like that, threatened to commit acts of physical and sexual violence on her, tried to instigate others to commit acts of physical and sexual violence against her, and so on.

Yeeeeeah... a bit much.   

Imagine if Stu was actually violent and dialed up to a ten. 

• Administrator
On 12/25/2021 at 7:06 PM, kav said:
On 12/25/2021 at 6:09 PM, Randall Ries said:

Well, lounges aren't "unmoderated". They still fall under the auspices of "the rules" but the idea is to be able to create topics or threads that are beyond the basics like talking about music on a music site. The lounge is a lounge. I have rarely seen people "hate" one another in a lounge. Because? It's understood that when you go into the lounge to hang out, it's not "anything goes" but it's looser and more random. The warning is there. Enter at your own risk and don't cry if you can't hack it. The lounges on those sites have been there for 20+ years and work quite well.

Ok the lounge idea here is a go.  CGC Mike.

I have already stated I am not opposed to having a thread in comics general where off topic posts can occur.  A lounge area so to speak.   I will start a thread and pin it at the top of the forum.  

On 12/25/2021 at 4:34 PM, Randall Ries said:

Similar to the situation here-many think the stuff this warning thread is about is funny.  Very funny.  Those that dont however get to shut it down because they persoanlly do not find it funny.  I myself have never felt much urge to tell others how to behave.  In fact I have turned down supervisor positions at jobs for this very reason.  If something annoys me, I just shrug.  Its a big world, I figure.

On 12/25/2021 at 4:40 PM, CGC Mike said:

I have already stated I am not opposed to having a thread in comics general where off topic posts can occur.  A lounge area so to speak.   I will start a thread and pin it at the top of the forum.  

mail.gif

On 12/25/2021 at 4:42 PM, Buzzetta said:

Awww look at that.  @CGC Mike gave you a Christmas present.  You get your very own thread. 

CGC Mike can ya call it Kav's Lounge?

Edited by kav

On 12/25/2021 at 7:41 PM, kav said:

Similar to the situation here-many think the stuff this warning thread is about is funny.  Very funny.  Those that dont however get to shut it down because they persoanlly do not find it funny.  I myself have never felt much urge to tell others how to behave.  In fact I have turned down supervisor positions at jobs for this very reason.  If something annoys me, I just shrug.  Its a big world, I figure.

Agreed. I think a lot of comments are hilarious. Also a lot are just ridiculous and not worth commenting on. It would never occur to me to run tattling to a moderator like a 4 year old girl. Grow some hair and roll your eyes or have a laugh  but keep moving. We are all adults. Learn to cope.

I have supervised landscaping crews and given grown men their instructions. They only go from instructions to orders when someone questions them and can't hack the answer. I never liked it to get to that point. Never liked telling anyone what to do. Do the job with your style, but get the job done.

mail.gif

On 12/25/2021 at 7:40 PM, CGC Mike said:

Thanks! I believe it would take some pressure off. I think it's prudent.

On 12/25/2021 at 7:46 PM, Shawn Everidge said:

A lot of people seem to be confusing "not being able to take a joke" with "being annoyed by the same inane responses by the same inane members". If your post is clever, it will be taken as such. If you are annoying people, maybe your posts aren't as clever as you think.

Maybe you don't speak for everyone.

• Administrator
On 12/25/2021 at 7:47 PM, Randall Ries said:

mail.gif

On 12/25/2021 at 7:40 PM, CGC Mike said:

Thanks! I believe it would take some pressure off. I think it's prudent.

It's done!

On 12/25/2021 at 5:40 PM, CGC Mike said:

So how off-topic can we go? Poly Ticks?