• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's a fair warning for those taking threads off topic
8 8

358 posts in this topic

A simple "Thats enough" from Mike has worked well in the past-no need for nucular option.  It actually seems more effective than handing out strikes because no hurt feelings.
Obviously some things are instant strikes like if someone starts talking about someone's mama or whatnot.

Edited by kav

I'll toss this out just for grins:

I collect music as well. Many music trading sites online have forums. We can trade files or mail cd's to each other and so forth.

Mods at these sites can get their pantalooms wadded up as well. Plus a lot of crybaby members who can't take a joke or think their poopies don't smell. You know the type?

So, many of these sites got to a bit of a crossroads. And they seemed to have the same idea at the same time and created a "Lounge" section. Where people could go to begin reasonable threads and pretty much talk about what they wanted to. One of the provisos was if you enter the lounge, better have a thick skin and be able to take a joke.

It's moderated to a degree. No racism or sexism and so forth. No KKK baloney etc. You know? But by and large, it works. Has for years. Humor helps members get to know each other better and even understand each other better.

And when the Broomstick In The Colons show up to peer down their noses at other members, well, they were warned before going in. Like a non smoker going into a designated smoking area. You can hang here if you WANT to. Make waves then take a hike. Take your Puritanical sensibilities and hang out somewhere else.

These sites recognized not everyone is going to find the same things amusing. And the Lounge areas have shown  a lot of success for members - like myself for example - to blow off steam and be able to joke with people with a similar sense of humor while not offending the more timid elements. It's simple: Can't take a joke? Stay out. People with outdoorsy sensibilities were being asked to stoop to someone else's level and it plain didn't work. No one has the right to tell someone else to cool it just because they have different sensibilities. Not when there is a way to give all the babies their bottles.

So, I am saying. Someone could easily create a lounge thread, everyone would know what the dealio is and go forward from there. They work quite well. The only ones I can recall resisting the idea were control freaks who felt they needed to monitor everyone's thoughts and viewpoints. I see plenty of stuff everywhere that I think is lowbrow or outright stupid. I just stay away. Why throw nickels into myself?

On 12/25/2021 at 1:59 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Although off-topic, and we’ve had a few similar posts here already, I hope everyone’s enjoying their festive  holidays.

STRIKE!

On 12/25/2021 at 4:36 PM, Randall Ries said:

I collect music as well. Many music trading sites online have forums. We can trade files or mail cd's to each other and so forth.

Mods at these sites can get their pantalooms wadded up as well. Plus a lot of crybaby members who can't take a joke or think their poopies don't smell. You know the type?

So, many of these sites got to a bit of a crossroads. And they seemed to have the same idea at the same time and created a "Lounge" section. Where people could go to begin reasonable threads and pretty much talk about what they wanted to. One of the provisos was if you enter the lounge, better have a thick skin and be able to take a joke.

It's moderated to a degree. No racism or sexism and so forth. No KKK baloney etc. You know? But by and large, it works. Has for years. Humor helps members get to know each other better and even understand each other better.

And when the Broomstick In The Colons show up to peer down their noses at other members, well, they were warned before going in. Like a non smoker going into a designated smoking area. You can hang here if you WANT to. Make waves then take a hike. Take your Puritanical sensibilities and hang out somewhere else.

These sites recognized not everyone is going to find the same things amusing. And the Lounge areas have shown  a lot of success for members - like myself for example - to blow off steam and be able to joke with people with a similar sense of humor while not offending the more timid elements. It's simple: Can't take a joke? Stay out. People with outdoorsy sensibilities were being asked to stoop to someone else's level and it plain didn't work. No one has the right to tell someone else to cool it just because they have different sensibilities. Not when there is a way to give all the babies their bottles.

So, I am saying. Someone could easily create a lounge thread, everyone would know what the dealio is and go forward from there. They work quite well. The only ones I can recall resisting the idea were control freaks who felt they needed to monitor everyone's thoughts and viewpoints. I see plenty of stuff everywhere that I think is lowbrow or outright stupid. I just stay away. Why throw nickels into myself?

So basically....

Create a micro-forum within which those deserving can be hazed without moderator interference? hm

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 12/25/2021 at 5:00 PM, kav said:

STRIKE!

I was going to mention that I find XMas to be completely offensive and ignorant for a lot of different reasons. Lots of people have a REALLY hard time this time of year. And yet who am I to tell anyone they shouldn't enjoy themselves if they can? I'm just careful who I bandy about holiday wishes to. For many, XMas is a time of loss and PTSD related memories. A time of added stress financially and otherwise. A lot of peer and social pressure.

A friend I have I like a lot lost her son to a fentanyl laced bag of heroin. He was a good lad and a caring kid with a lot going for him. And he spun the wheel and lost. So, this and other times of year I check in with her. Make sure she has someone asking after her well being. This time of year makes her and many others keenly aware of the hole in their lives and the absence of loved ones. That's just one of many I know who suffer this time of year moreso than other times.

On 12/25/2021 at 5:07 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

So basically....

Create a micro-forum within which those deserving can be hazed without moderator interference? hm

Not a bit! They don't work like that. A lot of love gets passed around as well. It's like hanging out with others that can have a conversation or talk about what they like without someone judging them. People in the lounges get to know one another pretty well. Sure there aredisagreements or fights sometimes. But it is mainly random subjects. I will screenshoot a couple of examples later. Right now, my arm is being used as a pillow by my 12 YO beagle named Tuco. Named after the Eli Wallach character. In fact, my response to you right now is how the lounge actually works. I like a lot of the members here and find them creative and funny. Not to mention intelligent. I enjoy most people here with a few exceptions. I am simply saying lounges work for those of us who enjoy tangents.

On 12/25/2021 at 4:36 PM, Randall Ries said:

So basically....

I guess the idea is to have minimal moderation, less rigidity. There's probably already a number of these types of threads in the water cooler. Maybe a thread can be pinned in the water cooler with a clear stated purpose and firm guidelines at the beginning. Call it something like the "shoot the shizz thread" (shrug)

I don't know how many people will see it there but *maybe* worth a shot. Although I get a feeling it could turn into a dumpster fire.

On 12/25/2021 at 2:43 PM, MGsimba77 said:

I guess the idea is to have minimal moderation, less rigidity. There's probably already a number of these types of threads in the water cooler. Maybe a thread can be pinned in the water cooler with a clear stated purpose and firm guidelines at the beginning. Call it something like the "shoot the shizz thread" (shrug)

I don't know how many people will see it there but *maybe* worth a shot. Although I get a feeling it could turn into a dumpster fire.

An unmoderated thread would become a nucular chain reaction.  This radio activity would then spread to the rest of the threads as ppl began hating each other's guts.  I like the idea in general but only if it was an isolated website somewhere.  The ditch forum allowed anything goes for a while and it was ugly-and it also spread over here and led to at least one banning.

On 12/25/2021 at 5:16 PM, Randall Ries said:

So, this and other times of year I check in with her. Make sure she has someone asking after her well being. This time of year makes her and many others keenly aware of the hole in their lives and the absence of loved ones. That's just one of many I know who suffer this time of year moreso than other times.

But this time of year is also one of kindness, as demonstrated by your tendency to check in. So despite the loss of those not present, the holiday season can be one of renewed contact and reaching out and acknowledging loss but maintaining contact and displaying love or compassion. People have a hard time all year and you are correct that the holidays can highlight that. But we should also turn our attention to our blessings, and your friends are fortunate to have you.

I don't mean to come off as lecturing or holier than thou, more agreeing but wanting to add a caveat. Take care and be well.

On 12/25/2021 at 5:51 PM, Bird said:

But this time of year is also one of kindness, as demonstrated by your tendency to check in. So despite the loss of those not present, the holiday season can be one of renewed contact and reaching out and acknowledging loss but maintaining contact and displaying love or compassion. People have a hard time all year and you are correct that the holidays can highlight that. But we should also turn our attention to our blessings, and your friends are fortunate to have you.

I don't mean to come off as lecturing or holier than thou, more agreeing but wanting to add a caveat. Take care and be well.

I get it. I am just careful with my presentation with people. If fact, I treat people daily as if it were "XMas" every day, believe it or not. I don't rely on a fake, historically incorrect, intellectually insulting day of the year to help people out or be present in their moments. Helping people be happy for even just minute has its own payback. It's a daily thing for me. The world would be a better place if we all did it that way.

Christmas is a time I remember those no longer with me. What I have done the last couple of years is to use a little of the money I'd spend on their presents and buy something for myself that reminds me of them. My sister loved to cook so last Christmas I bought a cast iron skittle and every time I use it I think of her. Sometimes not so nicely when I'm cleaning the darn thing. 

As a kid, I had 18 Aunts and Uncles and nine cousins in my age range. All but four are gone.

Edited by shadroch

On 12/25/2021 at 5:50 PM, kav said:

An unmoderated thread would become a nucular chain reaction.  This radio activity would then spread to the rest of the threads as ppl began hating each other's guts.  I like the idea in general but only if it was an isolated website somewhere.  The ditch forum allowed anything goes for a while and it was ugly-and it also spread over here and led to at least one banning.

Well, lounges aren't "unmoderated". They still fall under the auspices of "the rules" but the idea is to be able to create topics or threads that are beyond the basics like talking about music on a music site. The lounge is a lounge. I have rarely seen people "hate" one another in a lounge. Because? It's understood that when you go into the lounge to hang out, it's not "anything goes" but it's looser and more random. The warning is there. Enter at your own risk and don't cry if you can't hack it. The lounges on those sites have been there for 20+ years and work quite well.

On 12/25/2021 at 5:09 PM, Randall Ries said:

Well, lounges aren't "unmoderated". They still fall under the auspices of "the rules" but the idea is to be able to create topics or threads that are beyond the basics like talking about music on a music site. The lounge is a lounge. I have rarely seen people "hate" one another in a lounge. Because? It's understood that when you go into the lounge to hang out, it's not "anything goes" but it's looser and more random. The warning is there. Enter at your own risk and don't cry if you can't hack it. The lounges on those sites have been there for 20+ years and work quite well.

That's what I thought you meant, there already is a place like that here (thumbsu It's called the water cooler :foryou: 

On 12/25/2021 at 5:50 PM, kav said:

Right but from what I take, the idea is not to have "no moderation" but less moderation with clear rules. The thing I see is the number of subjects that could easily wind their way into politics is very large! You would have to so limit the allowed topics in the thread as to defeat it's purpose. It would be tough to make it actually free flowing. I tend to agree with the skepticism with so many members possibly chiming in. The idea is definitely well intended!

On 12/25/2021 at 3:09 PM, Randall Ries said:

Ok the lounge idea here is a go.  CGC Mike.

So basically....

I cannot help but wonder if it is the same music site that I am familiar with.  For the rest of the site it is the same rules as those which have been established here.  However there is a section of that board, much like the water cooler that is completely off limits and anything goes. 

It was a bit... much.