• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's a fair warning for those taking threads off topic
8 8

358 posts in this topic

On 12/25/2021 at 1:35 AM, unclezebo said:

I think this subject shouldn't have been brought up this close to christmas. I've seen too many shots at people for this time of year. my vote is to table it and wait till after the new year.

:foryou:

On 12/25/2021 at 12:35 AM, unclezebo said:

I think this subject shouldn't have been brought up this close to christmas. I've seen too many shots at people for this time of year. my vote is to table it and wait till after the new year.

Not sure why the time of year is relevant but okay.

On 12/24/2021 at 10:20 PM, Larryw7 said:

Except for whining like a baby, you're utter perfection.

On 12/24/2021 at 10:26 PM, Shawn Everidge said:

Here’s an idea. Put me on ignore like I’m about to do with you.

Sure, I am, or I’m about to put you on the ignore list to, or too. (thumbsu

On 12/25/2021 at 6:09 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

I only quoted this because I couldn't "like" the original post.  (thumbsu

Fun fact: I now have 50% of the top 10 CGC posters on ignore.  Because 90% of what they contribute is drivel.   Once in a while they might say something funny (but still off topic) But here's the thing, if your "funny" batting average is under .200, you belong in the minors, or waiting tables at Applebee's. If those 5 people just stopped posting all-together it might actually leave room for some others to contribute, lots of others, with a lot more variety of opinions, knowledge, and experience. That would be to everyone's benefit.  Having 10 people comprise 25-35% of all posts? Nobody really benefits from that save those 10. Now when I look at a thread it resembles a broken venetian blind with a ton of missing slats where I'm ignoring posts.  So I'm still aware that they exist, they still show in the post counts, quoted replies, etc.  So I'm all for what Mike has proposed, and I'd REALLY be on board for a site function that let's Mike meter people for spamming the boards.  If you make 30-50 posts a day, in a 12 hour period and it's not in a sales thread, that's excessive.  Some of you will of course refute and dispute this notion, especially the main offenders. That's to be expected, and summarily ignored. 

Oh no actually, I’m still hoping for a dedicated ignore function where certain people are blinked out of existence. 

There are a couple of people here that I would have no problem “disappearing”. 

On 12/25/2021 at 3:09 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

I only quoted this because I couldn't "like" the original post.  (thumbsu

Fun fact: I now have 50% of the top 10 CGC posters on ignore.  Because 90% of what they contribute is drivel.   Once in a while they might say something funny (but still off topic) But here's the thing, if your "funny" batting average is under .200, you belong in the minors, or waiting tables at Applebee's. If those 5 people just stopped posting all-together it might actually leave room for some others to contribute, lots of others, with a lot more variety of opinions, knowledge, and experience. That would be to everyone's benefit.  Having 10 people comprise 25-35% of all posts? Nobody really benefits from that save those 10. Now when I look at a thread it resembles a broken venetian blind with a ton of missing slats where I'm ignoring posts.  So I'm still aware that they exist, they still show in the post counts, quoted replies, etc.  So I'm all for what Mike has proposed, and I'd REALLY be on board for a site function that let's Mike meter people for spamming the boards.  If you make 30-50 posts a day, in a 12 hour period and it's not in a sales thread, that's excessive.  Some of you will of course refute and dispute this notion, especially the main offenders. That's to be expected, and summarily ignored. 

I'm sorry that you need to do that. Merry Christmas. 

On 12/25/2021 at 6:35 AM, Buzzetta said:

Oh no actually, I’m still hoping for a dedicated ignore function where certain people are blinked out of existence. 

There are a couple of people here that I would have no problem “disappearing”. 

The ignore function as it is is pretty bad.  I don't think I have anyone ignored right now, and I'm pretty indifferent to the debate in this thread, but I will say that like a year ago there was one person I ignored, and then I just kept seeing "this post hidden" (or whatever the message is) and I couldn't bear the mystery.  The "blink out of existence" would be much better.

On 12/25/2021 at 9:58 AM, Poekaymon said:

I couldn't bear the mystery. 

It takes some time to develop the self control. I like to read ignored posts once in a while, maybe people change. Or maybe I change in how I deal with things. (shrug)

Most of the time the moderators get it right but there are examples of subjective overpolicing as would be expected. Moderation is easier said than done. I just hope the new surveillance doesn't turn into some kind of no fun zone where legit innocent humor gets hammered. Making it too boring is as much a risk as off topic trolling.

On 12/25/2021 at 10:45 AM, MGsimba77 said:

Most of the time the moderators get it right but there are examples of subjective overpolicing as would be expected. Moderation is easier said than done. I just hope the new surveillance doesn't turn into some kind of no fun zone where legit innocent humor gets hammered. Making it too boring is as much a risk as off topic trolling.

012158AB-D304-4AC7-9C4E-AB82B77973AD.jpeg

On 12/24/2021 at 6:27 PM, CGC Mike said:

This thread isn't about the events that take place each year on the forum.  (The Holiday Raffle, Gift exchange, DrX's annual contest ect...)  It is also not about any one thread.  It's about the same handful of people who go into someone's thread where a comic related topic is being discussed, and completely ruin the thread for the OP and other contributing posters.  It also ruins it for the people that just lurk and read the threads to learn.  I am the one who has to deal with all the complaints in the reports and PM's.  This place is for everyone to enjoy, and I am not going to allow a few to ruin it for several others.  I am also not going to step in every time there are some off topic postings.  However, if it gets out of hand, I will make it stop.   

So let’s try to stay on topic?