• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's a fair warning for those taking threads off topic
8 8

358 posts in this topic

On 12/25/2021 at 4:48 PM, Randall Ries said:
On 12/25/2021 at 4:46 PM, Shawn Everidge said:

A lot of people seem to be confusing "not being able to take a joke" with "being annoyed by the same inane responses by the same inane members". If your post is clever, it will be taken as such. If you are annoying people, maybe your posts aren't as clever as you think.

Maybe you don't speak for everyone.

Not even close.  Not the 'clever' police.

• Administrator
On 12/25/2021 at 7:49 PM, shadroch said:

So how off-topic can we go? Poly Ticks? 

You have to stay within the terms of use.  The only exception is it doesn't have to be comic related.  

On 12/25/2021 at 7:40 PM, Randall Ries said:

Well, if you are going to "limit" the topics, then of course it would be tough to make it actually free flowing. It's beyond well intended, the idea. It actually works and has for decades.

I myself used to pilot a music trading page. One of my caveats was "feel free to talk about whatever you like. Religion, politics, sex, violence, love, hate, movies music. I don't care. An I have instructed the mods to stay off peoples backs about it."

It worked just fine. We respected one another and trusted one another enough to let people have their say or share their observations. I only removed one person for an unrelated matter. He revealed the sites name publicly and it was a private site. No one needed to know about it. Security first.

Sure I'd agree if not for the fact that a number of threads in the water cooler about hot potato issues didn't end well. The COVID thread had to be closed despite being heavily moderated. 

If the mods want to experiment with it then great. All I'm saying is I wouldn't be too optimistic of the outcome. 

....guess we'll find out.

Edited by MGsimba77

On 12/25/2021 at 5:02 PM, shadroch said:

I'm guessing you weren't a math teecher.

Ok I went ahead and went thru the thread to count the pros and cons.  14 people dont think the stuff is funny.  20 do.  then 5-10 who dont care.  
Edit-one just switched over now its 13-21!  :acclaim:

Edited by kav

On 12/24/2021 at 2:29 PM, shadroch said:

I guess we are all waiting to see if you are a man of your word. Balls in your court.

I want to thank you shad for everything you do here. You truly are an inspiration to me.

On 12/25/2021 at 8:50 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Sure I'd agree if not for the fact that a number of threads in the water cooler about hot potato issues didn't end well. The COVID thread had to be closed despite being heavily moderated. 

If the mods want to experiment with it then great. All I'm saying is I wouldn't be too optimistic of the outcome. 

....guess we'll find out.

The point is to have it NOT heavily moderated. That causes another dimension of stress. Do you know that when a cop is introduced into traffic flow, accidents increase by a large %? 

And there is such a thing as dud topics. COVID is polarizing. Vaccines are polarizing. It's either you are going to or your not. Both have consequences. Data suggests those who aren't vaccinated are the ones dying by a gigantic margin. Nothing really more to say about it.

I am the forever pessimist. But the lounges I have seen are successful, not always tranquil and not for the sensitive or the thin skinned. Most importantly, they are not governed by moderators like a nursery school. Moderators are members too and can certainly join in and usually do. But moderating a free forum usually does more harm than good. Don't ask me how or why, but lounges - the ones I have been in - work.

On 12/25/2021 at 7:23 PM, Randall Ries said:

The point is to have it NOT heavily moderated. That causes another dimension of stress. Do you know that when a cop is introduced into traffic flow, accidents increase by a large %? 

And there is such a thing as dud topics. COVID is polarizing. Vaccines are polarizing. It's either you are going to or your not. Both have consequences. Data suggests those who aren't vaccinated are the ones dying by a gigantic margin. Nothing really more to say about it.

I am the forever pessimist. But the lounges I have seen are successful, not always tranquil and not for the sensitive or the thin skinned. Most importantly, they are not governed by moderators like a nursery school. Moderators are members too and can certainly join in and usually do. But moderating a free forum usually does more harm than good. Don't ask me how or why, but lounges - the ones I have been in - work.

I have no idea how the thread will turn out and doubt I'll have much interest in it, but I hope it fills whatever need the partcipants desire. I've always wanted to send people to the cornfield and finally it has happened.  A Christmas Miracle. 

On 12/25/2021 at 7:23 PM, oakman29 said:

I want to thank you shad for everything you do here. You truly are an inspiration to me.

Well, balls are definitely somewhere anyway

Merry Christmas everyone! 

On 12/25/2021 at 7:46 PM, Shawn Everidge said:

A lot of people seem to be confusing "not being able to take a joke" with "being annoyed by the same inane responses by the same inane members". If your post is clever, it will be taken as such. If you are annoying people, maybe your posts aren't as clever as you think.

To you.