• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice - my collections
1 1

19 posts in this topic

I am 68 years old and in poor health. 

I am asking for advice as to what to do with my comics (mainly Cherry Poptart).

I have the second best DC 100 page collection in the registry. I plan to pass that along to my son.

On the other hand, I have the best Cherry Poptart collection in the world, bar none. The registry shows I am number 1, but it does not even scratch the surface of what I have. Howard sent me several special items before his passing, including original art. I have a large collection of Cherry Mini's. I have a lot of high grade raw copies, and many other special items.

Should I sell all of this stuff individually, or is there actually a person that exists that may pay for it all for what I feel it is actually worth?

On 12/30/2021 at 12:09 PM, icefires said:

I have the second best DC 100 page collection in the registry. I plan to pass that along to my son.

On the other hand, I have the best Cherry Poptart collection in the world, bar none. The registry shows I am number 1, but it does not even scratch the surface of what I have. Howard sent me several special items before his passing, including original art. I have a large collection of Cherry Mini's. I have a lot of high grade raw copies, and many other special items.

Should I sell all of this stuff individually, or is there actually a person that exists that may pay for it all for what I feel it is actually worth?

@mycomicshop

On 12/30/2021 at 11:14 PM, shadroch said:

I don't think MCS would be the right venue for this. 

This might be a case where he would need to talk to Buddy directly. That man probably has more contacts in the business than anybody else and could possibly connect OP with other avid collectors.

On 12/30/2021 at 9:09 AM, icefires said:

I'm sorry to hear that you are in poor health. Obviously your health trumps all circumstances. If you have quite a bit of time left, I would try targeting a similar interest buyer that could handle the whole collection at your fair valuation. If you are short on time, Heritage will probably garner the largest audience for maximum profit. These are not facts, just my input in regard to your question. If your health is something that can get better, I certainly pray it does... it sounds like you've amassed an impressive collection for your son, wrought with foresight, passion and careful consideration. I salute you. 

Edited by Joshua33
Spell

Others have already answered the question pretty well, I just wanted to add in that I'm sorry about your poor health. I hope there's some room for improvement in that arena for you. 

On 12/31/2021 at 12:01 AM, Pat Thomas said:

This might be a case where he would need to talk to Buddy directly. That man probably has more contacts in the business than anybody else and could possibly connect OP with other avid collectors.

That is a possibility. 

You might have to divide the collection up by classification to decide on which venue is the best.

The artwork might do better at Heritage.  The books might do better somewhere else. 

I do not believe that one venue is the best though for the entirety of the collection with the exception of perhaps Metropolis / Comic Connect who might build a dedicated auction day around it as they have recently been doing. 

On 6/3/2022 at 10:34 AM, icefires said:

Thanks everyone.

did you decide on what you're going to do?