• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Announces Updates to Services and Fees for 2022
6 6

228 posts in this topic

I'm not surprised by this per se, but I would have liked to have seem some positive development on the QA front first.

However, I do have a non-customer-complaint question. @CGC Mike perhaps you can answer this one. The new return shipping rates include a "26-30" book line entry. Does this mean that CGC has changed the packaging for return shipping such that they are capable of shipping 30 slabs at a time? I was previously under the impression that 25 was the maximum and anything above that would be shipped separately (with separate charges). If 30-slab boxes are now happening, then in the $5,000-10,000 appraised value bucket, that's the difference between $3.96/book @ 25 books versus $3.23/book @ 30. But there's absolutely no way I'm sending a 30-book submission without explicit confirmation, because having those 5 extra books shipped back separately (in, say, the $501-1000 insurance tier) brings the overall return shipping cost to $4.30/book.

On 1/4/2022 at 4:35 PM, nikocb said:

Every shipment to me via FedEx has been delayed during the past two years. They've lost 3 separate shipments.

That... does not spark joy.  :( 

On 1/4/2022 at 4:22 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Until I stop making thousands of dollars per year from CGC they know they can just keep raising rates.

Agree with you. However, it would be nice if it was an annual increase - even better if it was communicated as such. Nobody is going to be happy about rates increasing, but if you could set an expectation of when to expect it, it would go a long way. For example, daycare tuition increases every year, which sucks, but I know it’s going to happen and helps soften the blow. And that is an industry with no shortage of demand and greater leverage, regardless of competition.

Right now, it’s whenever they feel like raising rates and then creating a mad dash for people to get books in under the oldish rates. They just got done digging out from under the previous mad dash…now they are creating another. Do they have the labor force for that?

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 1/4/2022 at 1:43 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Agree with you. However, it would be nice if it was an annual increase - even better if it was communicated as such. Nobody is going to be happy about rates increasing, but if you could set an expectation of when to expect it, it would go a long way. For example, daycare tuition increases every year, which sucks, but I know it’s going to happen and helps soften the blow.

Right now, it’s whenever they feel like raising rates and then creating a mad dash for people to get books in under the oldish rates. They just got done digging out from under the previous mad dash…now they are creating another. Do they have the labor force for that?

Honestly they usually do not raises rates this quickly.  Usually it was every couple of years. 

On 1/4/2022 at 4:46 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Honestly they usually do not raises rates this quickly.  Usually it was every couple of years. 

Yeah. Makes this feel more like a kick in the nuts. 

I'm not surprised CGC did this, as many companies are raising their prices across the board (utilities, grocery, auto, restaurants, etc.). 

I think CGC is basically just riding the inflationary wave at the moment. 

Sooner or later, however, people may want to re-evaluate whether or not it's worth submitting 100s of modern comics when -- after grading and selling costs are factored in -- there's very little profit left for the end customer.

Don't forget the add on price for fast track  

Rather than stopping submissions like other grading companies did to get caught up, they just raise the rates to discourage submitters instead

Edited by Kevin76