• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Laziness, Re-cycling and swiping in the GA.
9 9

269 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2022 at 8:04 AM, goldust40 said:

I don’t see those two Baily covers as evidence of a swipe or recycling - the Weird Mysteries is an ironic take on the wholesome Radiant Love. Looks like Baily, who must’ve had a dark sense of humour, was having some fun there.

Fair point and I cannot disagree with that in principle, but in it's purest form he has effectively pulled a composed image out of his own image memory bank to use as another cover.

To me he has re-cycled to some degree, but it is my favourite example in the whole thread because it is humorous in intent I believe.

Edited by (G-G © ® ™) Paul

On 5/11/2022 at 6:40 AM, bronze johnny said:

doesn’t in any way change the fact that Heck achieved his greatest level of artistic excellence with Horrific 3.

Never said I dislike Horrific 3. It is however, a blatant and obvious swipe. I just quoted the above from the only part of your response I disagree with. Heck took a striking image, flipped and enlarged a stat just to make a deadline. Good choice? Yes, and has become regarded as classic over time. Done with that intent in mind? Never. Just dumb luck. I’m sure Heck pasted that up, looked at it and said “Good enough!” There are far better Heck examples IMO and I would not say this was his greatest level of artistic excellence.

On 5/10/2022 at 7:30 PM, gadzukes said:

Do you mean this one?  I guess the "idea" is similar.

1006531.jpg

Yes, that's it!   Thanks Gadzukes.  Its a "conceptual swipe" I would say.  That happens a lot between pulp and comics - its not literally artwork but rather a copy.... if that makes sense.

On 5/11/2022 at 8:54 AM, Jayman said:

Never said I dislike Horrific 3. It is however, a blatant and obvious swipe. I just quoted the above from the only part of your response I disagree with. Heck took a striking image, flipped and enlarged a stat just to make a deadline. Good choice? Yes, and has become regarded as classic over time. Done with that intent in mind? Never. Just dumb luck. I’m sure Heck pasted that up, looked at it and said “Good enough!” There are far better Heck examples IMO and I would not say this was his greatest level of artistic excellence.

Wasn’t just a paste up. He added to the eyes and that’s no slight alteration given the significance of them for the exclusive focus on the head at the moment of death. The eyes have it all for this cover. Nuances will make a difference in art.

On 5/11/2022 at 10:35 AM, bronze johnny said:

Wasn’t just a paste up. He added to the eyes and that’s no slight alteration given the significance of them for the exclusive focus on the head at the moment of death. The eyes have it all for this cover. Nuances will make a difference in art.

I respect and agree with your opinion on many topics on these boards. This one however, we will disagree. Quickly inking in some bloodshot lines to the eyes and flipping the bullet wound (again a cut and paste stat) was just a quick way to save some time. If only Heck took some time to reinterpret this classic image, redrawn from a new perspective, I think I could appreciate it more than I do. Again, my opinion comes from being an artist. I have produced fine and commercial art for a good portion of my life. If I ever took an old piece of art, photocopied, cropped and enlarged it and tried to pass it off as new with just a few touch ups, I’d feel embarrassed. 2c

On 5/11/2022 at 9:28 PM, Jayman said:

I respect and agree with your opinion on many topics on these boards. This one however, we will disagree. Quickly inking in some bloodshot lines to the eyes and flipping the bullet wound (again a cut and paste stat) was just a quick way to save some time. If only Heck took some time to reinterpret this classic image, redrawn from a new perspective, I think I could appreciate it more than I do. Again, my opinion comes from being an artist. I have produced fine and commercial art for a good portion of my life. If I ever took an old piece of art, photocopied, cropped and enlarged it and tried to pass it off as new with just a few touch ups, I’d feel embarrassed. 2c

Sorry we don’t see eye to eye on the impact of the eyes. Sometimes it only takes inking in bloodshot eyes to perfect a work of art. It also doesn’t matter what time it took Heck to achieve this masterpiece of precode art. Whether Heck took 10 minutes or 10 years, he saw the end result and collectors have since identified the cover of Horrific 3 as one of the greatest precode horror covers ever. I’m ok with you and I seeing a difference here, still love and respect your perspective on these ghoulish books! 

On 5/12/2022 at 9:26 AM, rjpb said:

I've always liked the cover of Horrific #3, regardless of it's origin. It's strikingly effective, and Heck must have thought so, as it inspired a run of "head" covers on the title. 

I agree with this. Thank heavens he did original “head art” for the rest of the run and not just blow up preexisting artwork. (:

On 5/12/2022 at 4:58 PM, Jayman said:

I agree with this. Thank heavens he did original “head art” for the rest of the run and not just blow up preexisting artwork. (:

He draws a Heck of a head. :hi:

On 5/12/2022 at 5:57 PM, Jayman said:

He was Heck and shoulders above the rest! :drumroll:

He'll always get Heckled about  Horrific 3. B|

Edited by (G-G © ® ™) Paul

On 5/14/2022 at 9:38 AM, GG © ® ™---Paul said:

Both my books..

Different artist, same Title, same potential death threat theme, very similar premise and dialogue. Both quite brutal.

hh.jpg

ff.jpg

fightagainstcrime10.jpg