• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Comic Magazines
6 6

313 posts in this topic

On 6/17/2022 at 2:27 PM, OtherEric said:

Found at my LCS today.  I already had a very beat up copy, but it's been on my upgrade list.  I think this was Neal Adams only cover for NatLamp, for all that he did a lot of interiors:

Natlamp best of 3.jpg

Saw your post in the UG thread first......I believe you are correct re:Adams unless you count the covers he did INSIDE the mags!!!! I think this was Wrightson's only front cover for NL, but it's actually pretty amusing when one realizes the rear cover of this was Frazetta!!!

Wrightson.jpg.653793a35fa8e7f5449448230ba66b8f.jpg

frazetta.thumb.jpg.3c756e8b93a87988bfeb19b7decc125f.jpg

On 6/18/2022 at 4:39 PM, wpbooks01 said:

Saw your post in the UG thread first......I believe you are correct re:Adams unless you count the covers he did INSIDE the mags!!!! I think this was Wrightson's only front cover for NL, but it's actually pretty amusing when one realizes the rear cover of this was Frazetta!!!

Wrightson.jpg.653793a35fa8e7f5449448230ba66b8f.jpg

frazetta.thumb.jpg.3c756e8b93a87988bfeb19b7decc125f.jpg

True enough, Adams did a lot of interior covers.  Not for all his stories, though... for Dragula Frazetta did the interior cover, for instance.

On 6/18/2022 at 4:42 PM, OtherEric said:

True enough, Adams did a lot of interior covers.  Not for all his stories, though... for Dragula Frazetta did the interior cover, for instance.

And I recall Andru and Espositio (or maybe Andru only) doing the cover for Ventures Of Zimmerman.

On 6/18/2022 at 4:44 PM, wpbooks01 said:

And I recall Andru and Espositio (or maybe Andru only) doing the cover for Ventures Of Zimmerman.

I think both, but not positive.  NatLamp hired a very impressive array of talent at the time... and no clue about how much dialogue fits on a page.

On 3/5/2022 at 8:17 AM, mrc said:

Back in the day, Skateboarder was my fave magazine. At school we would pore over the photos, trying to work out how to do the latest tricks. The Stecyk 'Dogtown' articles were a highlight and photo techniques such as fish-eye and motor-drive were in their infancy. So over the last five years I've been trying to complete my collection (mostly VF+) but still require issue no.1 and the photo annual. The Jim Muir poster is from Skateboard World magazine and the one I had on my bedroom wall - to remind me of, what decent weather looked like!

march 24.jpg

DSCN1195.JPG

jmdb1.jpg

jg2.jpg

Nice:applause:

Next time I hit my storage unit I'll grab the rubbermaid bin of my OO stash of Thrashers & Transworlds.   Never had anywhere to share them before.  Can't remember the last time I looked through them :cloud9:

On 10/17/2022 at 12:46 PM, Makmorn said:

And what a cover it is...:headbang:

Dragula.jpg

Written by Tony Hendra, with whom I am familiar from my treasured high school National Lampoon LPs.  He also played the band's manager in the film "Spinal Tap."  Here he is lampooning John Lennon.  I think I read that he died last year.  I suppose I should add a NSFW language warning.

Edited by Axe Elf

On 2/24/2022 at 4:56 PM, OtherEric said:

In today.  2nd issue.

I still haven't decided completely how I feel about National Lampoon... there's a LOT of unfunny and offensive material in the run.  But when they were good they could be absolutely hysterical, and often even when they weren't the quality of the creators still makes it worth looking at, at least for the first several years.

National_Lampoon_1970_05.jpg

Nice cover. It certainly looks like Peter Max, but with those guys you never know...  hm

On 10/19/2022 at 1:38 PM, OtherEric said:

That's awesome!

On 10/19/2022 at 12:43 PM, The Lions Den said:

Nice cover. It certainly looks like Peter Max, but with those guys you never know...  hm

In this case, "Peter Money" was actually Peter Bramely, not Peter Max.

You're right on the "you never know" bit, though.  I think my favorite examples of that are in The Very Large Book of Comical Funnies.  The section on "Lost" E.C. Comics includes work from Russ Heath, who did work on a few ECs, and then a bit later the "Sap Comix" parody includes work from S. Clay Wilson and Spain.  It's an amazing book... completely useless as a history of comics, because if was parodying everything, but also clearly written with a better grasp of the actual history of comics than some if not most of the comic histories available at that time.

On 10/20/2022 at 12:30 AM, OtherEric said:

In this case, "Peter Money" was actually Peter Bramely, not Peter Max.

You're right on the "you never know" bit, though.  I think my favorite examples of that are in The Very Large Book of Comical Funnies.  The section on "Lost" E.C. Comics includes work from Russ Heath, who did work on a few ECs, and then a bit later the "Sap Comix" parody includes work from S. Clay Wilson and Spain.  It's an amazing book... completely useless as a history of comics, because if was parodying everything, but also clearly written with a better grasp of the actual history of comics than some if not most of the comic histories available at that time.

That's great stuff, brother...

Almost nothing makes me more happier then finding free comics and mags from around town, so I often used to grab adult nightlife/adult gentleman’s mags from off the shelf while hitting up my local strip club (when I used to go there for education purposes lol), these 2 issues were Harley Quinn themed, pretty cool I think,. I have a few more issues if any body wants them for free, ya just have to pay for shipping.

ACF3A3CC-C096-44A2-9B88-B97C52BCFE9F.jpeg

8C2D9D6C-64A4-409D-8BB0-4D090BDBBDB0.jpeg