• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Old Comic Book Catalogs To Make Us Say "I Want A Time Machine"

38 posts in this topic

If your time machine can only transport back to 1999, this may be of interest.  The marketing of the Pacific Coast pedigree by Pacific Comic Exchange began in late Spring and Summer of that year.  And yes, the grading was generally accurate, and the collection has become considered arguably the finest Silver Age pedigree ever found.  Almost every issue from the list below starting with FF #8 was later graded by CGC from 9.4 to 9.8.

I have a bunch of printouts from the PCEI website, and can scan and post more of the Marvel title listings if there's any interest.  Here is the page that's already been scanned, the listing of the Fantastic Four run up to ish 55.  'OO' stands for original owner collection.  The numbers to the right of the structural grades are the structural grade number and the page quality designation:

1349502829_PCFFlist.thumb.jpg.20abb0cc9ab9cbd59b7a37c747b82291.jpg

Edited by namisgr

On 1/27/2022 at 12:02 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

price.jpg.a983527bd72a94e84ecc26cdf0c65e55.jpg

"Yes, I'd like to place an order? Uh-huh. Yes. The whole page. That's correct. I said the whole page. What? Well, you just never MIND what that blue flash was a second ago."

An IH #4 for $1.50. One dollar and fifty cents. Same with FF #2. Spider-Man's #5-7 @.75 ea.

I remember Rogofsky and Robert Bell but don't have their catalogs still left around.  I do remember (and have written before) ordering several times from Bell, having to write the top "want" on the front of his lined order form and the "second choices" on the back.  I couldn't put enough together at one time to get the FF #1 I really wanted (it went from $24.00 to $35.00 by the time I stopped ordering) so I kept trying for an Avengers #1 ($15.00) and a DD #1 ($12.00), both of which I eventually got after a slew of second choices were shipped.  No checking account as a kid so each time I would be mailing him $12 or $15 in cash for my lottery try at those elusive first issues and never had a problem.

I do have some invoices from almost 30 years ago (must have had some disposable income) that I would be happy to time-machine my way to getting even now.  Still have those books (the addresses are old so nobody get excited about rolling me on the way home) and when CGC came into existence I remember the GA Caps graded 7.0/7.5, #100 was 9.0 and SS #1 (which was the sharpest copy I had ever seen) racked up a paltry 8.0.  Still though, if I ever get one of those 1099s, I'll have some whopping (Hah!) discounts that would offset when I sell.

inv1.jpg

inv2.jpg

inv3.jpg

On 1/27/2022 at 9:08 AM, batmiesta said:
On 1/26/2022 at 10:06 PM, lizards2 said:

until it hurts?  Asking for a friend.

Tell them yes.:eek:

:eek:

On 1/27/2022 at 7:21 AM, Randall Ries said:

"Yes, I'd like to place an order? Uh-huh. Yes. The whole page. That's correct. I said the whole page. What? Well, you just never MIND what that blue flash was a second ago."

An IH #4 for $1.50. One dollar and fifty cents. Same with FF #2. Spider-Man's #5-7 @.75 ea.

How about X-Men #1 for $1.00?

Funny, Gary is still around and a board member. Maybe he could comment about the good old days…

@Moondog

On 1/27/2022 at 6:29 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Nowadays these goofs online are wanting $12 to ship 1 book.

That's probably not much of a profit.  They might be making a dollar for the hour they spent dealing with shipping.

I looked at the postage on a 4X6 padded envelope that came in the mail today:  about $4.50 and all it had in it was a few N95 masks that weighed a fraction of an ounce.

By the time a seller packages a book and drops it off at a shipper they are not ripping anyone off at $12.

On 1/26/2022 at 4:23 PM, Robot Man said:

I grew up in big city suburbia. Not much open land in my neighborhood. I think a got a dollar for push mowing a lawn and edging. Hard work in the summer but I sometimes got two or three jobs on a good Saturday.

I don't ever remember getting walloped much but my parents believed in taking away the things that we loved. A couple weeks with no skateboard or my Sting Ray hurt much more than a whacking. Those things represented freedom. A freedom taken away when they were gone.  

They didn't take away your internet?  hm